Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6s engine vs SVT contour (2.5)

Here is a question for all you car buffs...

Since the 6s uses the same engine (for the most part) as Ford used in the contour SVT, do you think that same modifications would fit on the 6s? I am asking this because a buddy of mine has had 2 contour SVT's and has a few parts (pully, intake) left over that he took off before he sold them. Wanted to find out if I should try using them. Anyone know? fyi, I do know that they SVT's motor was a 2.5 and ours is a 3.0. Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Replying to Topic '6s engine vs SVT contour (2.5)'

Some Contour owners have replaced blown 2.5 L engines with 3 L blocks while keeping the old heads. There may be commonality of mounting points and bolt patterns, but whether other parts can be swapped out depends on the engine compartment layout.

Regarding the parts you specifically mentioned, the intake (an open cone filter, I assume) may require a different adapter to fit the '6 intake. By "pully," I assume you mean an underdrive accessory belt pulley. I wouldn't bother with that, since the benefit is dubious at best and you could well create additional NVH by changing the rotating speeds of the belt-driven accessories relative to the crank RPMs.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Reading Topic: 6s engine vs SVT contour (2.5)

additional NVH? what is this NVH you speak of

·
Registered
517 Posts

Oops... forgive the shorthand... AJ is correct. Noise, vibration, harshness. "Reduced NVH" has been a catch-phrase in the automotive engineering community for a good while now.

Actually, all the rage in the Contour community these days is replacing the crank pulley with a dual-mode damper (DMD). The DMD is designed to damp additional resonant frequencies of the crankshaft, smoothing out some more driveline vibrations as a result.

[EDIT: here's a link... http://www.spmotorsports.com/contour_engin...e_dualmass.html Ford added a DMD to the Mondeo V6 after the Contour was discontinued here, and now folks are selling the Mondy damper as a direct replacement for the Contour's stock pulley.]

If I had to guess, the '6 already has a DMD. If Duratec6 was actually referring to a DMD, then it may be redundant to scavenge your friend's.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Originally posted by duratec6

Here is a question for all you car buffs...

Since the 6s uses the same engine (for the most part) as Ford used in the contour SVT, do you think that same modifications would fit on the 6s?  I am asking this because a buddy of mine has had 2 contour SVT's and has a few parts (pully, intake) left over that he took off before he sold them.  Wanted to find out if I should try using them.  Anyone know?  fyi, I do know that they SVT's motor was a 2.5 and ours is a 3.0.  Thanks.[/b]
One might be able to use the SVT heads to bump the compression ratio up, but you are asking for too much trouble for so little gains. Truth is, those guys would rather swap their stuff out for 6 engine parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts