Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the owner of a 2002 TL Type S (18 mos old, 25k miles) that is book value about equal to a new 6s, I thought the comparison to be valid. I also wanted to test drive the 6s before participating at Houston's Rev It Up weekend. I couldn't find a single 5-speed in Houston, so while visiting my folks in San Antonio, I test drove one (black, loaded with all options).

Here's the comparison:
(1) Acceleration (seat of the pants): The Type S is a very fast car, but it is also a heavy car. The 6s, while scoring well in the car magazine's acceleration tests, couldn't really compete--even with the stick shift. The Acura's smooth 5-spd auto made the quick jump to 80 exhilarating--but hold on because torque steer will rear its ugly head on rougher roads. I never use the sportshift because the tranny always seems to know what gear to be in. The Mazda had a terrific clutch and I could immediately click off smooth starts--I miss driving a stick!

(2) Handling: Like I noted, the torque steer of the Acura can get old at times--don't hit uneven pavement from a hard standing start! The 6s didn't seem to have that problem (due to less power? I don't really know)...there was a small amount of torque steer, but otherwise it was awesome--like a big Miata (ok, a really big Miata). Both cars are a little soft in the corners, but the Mazda less so. The salesman didn't seem thrilled at my taking their only 5-speed through its paces, but heck it already had 92 miles on it! LOL

(4) Features: The Type S is pretty much loaded with every convenience you could want (sans trip computer). The latest version of the Accord trumped the Type S by adding dual zone climate control and like a couple hundred more airbags. What impressed me was that almost everything I have on the Type S is on the Mazda (6 CD, Bose, heated seats & mirrors, homelink, auto mirror, etc.). I actually think that the Bose setup sounded better than mine. But where's that auto tilt down passenger mirror? Oh well...

(3) Interior: Here is where the difference started to show up. No offense, but Mazda interiors are pretty darn cheap looking compared to the Acura (and the new Accord, which is more in the price range). The center console's hard plastic reminded me of an early 90's Accord. I'm not sure I like the display separated from the controls, but I like the red guages--sweet! I do have the Delphi XM radio in my car and can't figure out where in the Mazda it would fit :(.

(4) At speed: The Acura is very quiet on smooth ashpalt and the Mazda, while not as quiet, at least had a racy engine sound to keep you "connected" to the real world. :)

(4) Ownership: Can't comment on how Mazda dealers work. As a former S2000 owner, I know Honda dealers are generally arrogant, regardless of whether you have a Civic or a Pilot. Acura is much better (loaner cars!); but still no Lexus. I imagine Mazda is somewhere in between, but hopefully the fact that many of them also seem to be Kia or Ford dealers doesn't hurt the service ;) And would it be so hard to have a Mazda dealer somewhere *in* the city of Houston? driving 20 miles out to the suburbs to take one for service is awful.

Overall: The performance gap is narrow, the features are almost equivalent--Mazda totally has a winner and I'm starting to think that perhaps there might be one of these in my future (a silver one of course).

Chris

·
Registered
315 Posts
Reading Topic: 6s 5-

But where's that auto tilt down passenger mirror? Oh well...

I test drove a BMW 3 series with this feature and I ABSOLUTELY HATED IT!
I don't see it's purpose. I know how to use the 3 mirrors to back up and to park.
The tilting mirror is simply annoying and makes backing up and parking more difficult as you lose the use of that mirror.

"(3) Interior: Here is where the difference started to show up. No offense, but Mazda interiors are pretty darn cheap looking compared to the Acura (and the new Accord, which is more in the price range)"
Well, I'll have to disagree with you here. Yes, that center part is not the best it can be, but overall the 6 interior is very nice given it's price. It's no Audi, but not many cars match Audi interiors.
But, the 6 comes very close to a BMW which costs thousands more.
Compared to the Acura the 6 is very close in quality. The Acura has some very cheap looking parts as well namely the ultra fake and cheap "wood" trim which is too prominant in the Acura. When I drove it I couldn't get over how bad it looked.
In terms of ride quality the 6 was a bit better than the Acura TL-S.
The manual in the TL-S coupe is EXCELLENT better than the 6, but it's not even available
on the sedan.

I'm looking forward to a test drive of the Acura TSX with that excellent 6 speed which should be like the RSX-S manual.

Tome

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading Topic: 6s 5-speed vs 2002 Acura TL Type S

The auto tilt-down mirror is very handy for parallel parking or backing out of a one-car-wide driveway. I use it everyday! Stioll, it can be easily disabled, but I think it is a wheel saver for sure.

"The Acura has some very cheap looking parts as well namely the ultra fake and cheap "wood" trim which is too prominant in the Acura. When I drove it I couldn't get over how bad it looked."

--you mean you don't like the bowling ball trim? LOL, I agree and all I can say about it is that (1) there's not much of it, and (2) after a while you don't even notice it.

I did drive another 5-speed last night (found one in town, two actually) and the salesman actually took me on a bumpy back road. This is one place the 6 outshines the Type S. The Type S isn't quite sure if it wants to be a sports sedan or a luxury sedan and so while the handling is good for a car of its size, the softer suspension (not as soft as a base TL) combined with the low profile tires make for sort of a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde personality. The Mazda seems to have been built with more of a purpose and I really appreciated the handling much more buttoned down.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Hey, cool someone else in Houston! (Even if you do drive a TL-S :)) j/k

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well, if it makes me a member of the Club :); I decided that I will be ordering a silver 5-speed 6s sport very soon. Love the Acura, but I can't keep cars more than 2 years, and the 6 is like an almost-3series for a lot less money...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

I have a new 6i, and I drive my dad's '03 TL Type S very often. For similar handling, though not the same acceration, the difference is more than $10,000 in Canadian dollar. I think my 6i worth every penny. :> It's like buying an Intel P4 2.4Ghz and a AMD Athlon XP 2400+, for similar performance, you save more than $100 cdn. :>

Sorry, I am an AMD fan and a computer guy. :p

·
Registered
611 Posts
Replying to Topic '6s 5-speed vs 2002 Acura TL Type S'

Chris,
Thanks for the wonderful writeup. I'm in the exact opposite boat. My previous car was an Acura and I LOVED it and the service the dealership gave me. You hit the nail on the head with the interior and the acceleration might I add. I was sold on the TL type S for a while. I loved the Nav feature and the cars interior. It hugged me just right. I test drove it and the CL to be sure I knew which I truely wanted. I decided a 4 door was for me.

... And then out of the blue my father suggested I try out the 6. I went and drove the V6 Auto and Absolutly loved it. I knew right away the car was worthy of all the stellar reviews it had recieved. I enjoyed the car fully, but I was still expecting to get the TL. I was talking with my father again about the test drive when he brought up the question of how the Manual felt. How I overlooked the manual is beyond me. The next weekend I was at the dealership and basically had to pull teeth just to have them let me take their only v6 manual out for a spin.

My first car was a miata so I suppose I'm biased, but the 6 manual was everything I felt I wanted. Amazing handling, a wonderful clutch (does Mazda always seem to get the clutch right??); and an all out good looking vehicle.

I now I have a deposit on a v6 manual and am awaiting delivery in 2 weeks give or take. The TL was a wonderful car and I'd have been very happy with it, but this was a definate case of finding the perfect car for my driving style and expectations. The only problem I have with the car is that it could have a few more ponies and nav=/

I hope you enjoy yours Chris, I'm positive I'll love every second of mine.

Welcome.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Replying to Topic '6s 5-speed vs 2002 Acura TL Type S'

Originally posted by chris_wTX

I'm starting to think that perhaps there might be one of these in my future (a silver one of course).  

Chris[/b]
Nooooooo!!! Don't get Silver! I don't want to see one more Silver Mazda6 like mine on the road, even if you live a few thousand miles from me! :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Too late Mazda6guy :) I've had my silver one since Jan.

BTW AMD does rule, my AMD T Bird is still going strong, for about $160 less than a comparable Pentium equipped setup.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts

The Acura 3.2 TL Type-S is a super sweet car. But...

I test drove it IMMEDIATELY after I test drove the 6s.

Everything in my head was like...

"Hmm the 6 has this..."

"The 6 feels tighter in the turns"

"the 6...."

"The 6...."

I think I should have test drove the 3.2 TL Type S first. After I drove the 6 I just immediately compared every other car to it.

Note to anyone test driving cars...go with a friend so the dealers can snag you immediately. If I hadn't, I would have probably paid MSRP for a 6 without the options I wanted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts