Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look what I stumbled upon while browsing the 3 forums...

http://www.mazda3club.com/showthread.php?p=366970#post366970

ust a little heads up. Adam and I (the new machinist) will be working jointly on a new centrifugal blower for the 3.0L duratec Mazda6's. It should also fit the tribute/escape without much modification. If it goes smoothly we may try to modify it for the Fusion/500 as well.

I don't want to give away and specifics but I'll just say this:

Revolutionary new mounting system unlike anything ever before used on a car

internal step-up drive of 4.1:1 (instant power at any rpm) powerdynes is 3.1:1

capable of 20+psi with only a pulley change

self-lubricated with no tapping of engine oil

new "T5" model with more features for longevity and reliability
[/b]
Did a search and didn't see anything about this supercharger so I thought I'd post it. Lets hope it gets developed.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
There was talk of one a few times on these forums. I think space was the main issue. Not sure. Thanks for taking the time though.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
For one thing the dude is completely wrong about the Taurus SHO. The SHO never used a Duratec and it was only powered by a 3.0L from 1989 to 1993, and that was a Yamaha. Later models were Yamaha 3.4L V8s, with a 3.2L Yamaha used somewhere in the middle.

But I'll believe it when I see it as far as the supercharger goes. It's been 5 months since that post was made, and not a peep from anyone since.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
For one thing the dude is completely wrong about the Taurus SHO. The SHO never used a Duratec and it was only powered by a 3.0L from 1989 to 1993, and that was a Yamaha. Later models were Yamaha 3.4L V8s, with a 3.2L Yamaha used somewhere in the middle.
[/b]
Sorry, but I owned 2 SHO's so i've gotta correct you.

The 3.0 Yamaha was the only available engine in the SHO from 1989-1992
1993 they introduced the automatic transmission, thus nescesitating a little more low end torque, hence the birth of the 3.2 Yamaha
So, from 1993-95 the 3.0 was used in the clutch equipped cars (aka the fast ones), and the 3.2 was used in the Autotragics. In 1996, the new bubbly SHO was introduced with the 3.4 liter V8. This was carried through until 1999 when the SHO model was discontinued.

In my opinion, the 3.0 - 3.2 Yamaha SHO engine is one of the coolest engines ever

In any case, the 3.0 Yamaha SHO engine and the 3.0 Duratec have NOTHING in comon, other than their use in Ford cars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i really miss my 94 mtx sho. i loved when the secondaries opened up around 3600-3800, what a rush. but i guess the 6 sport wagon is more family oriented. but the sho got better gas mileage?!?!

jonathan

·
Registered
20 Posts
supposedly there is a supercharger/ turbo being developed for the escape/ mariner. close to the same fitment, just a couple mods. All of this discussion is moot until someone hacks the computer and makes the info widely known and cheap and easy enough for "everyone" to use

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I just spoke with John at alpine developments and he said that developement costs would be in the $30 to 50k range for a system for the V6.He said that they would look into the V6 with enough interest.I asked him what that would honestly take.Group buyin,etc.He had said 100 people with a $300 dollar deposit that would be knocked off the price of the system and the end of its developement is what it would take right now.Would anyone be interested in this?I have researched the company and they have been in buisness a long time and have a very satisfied customer base.I know thats a big deposit for a project that could take a year in developement,but it would be a kit for the V6,not the 4 and i doubt they go out of buisness anytime soon.

http://www.alpine-developments.us/

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just spoke with John at alpine developments and he said that developement costs would be in the $30 to 50k range for a system for the V6.He said that they would look into the V6 with enough interest.I asked him what that would honestly take.Group buyin,etc.He had said 100 people with a $300 dollar deposit that would be knocked off the price of the system and the end of its developement is what it would take right now.Would anyone be interested in this?I have researched the company and they have been in buisness a long time and have a very satisfied customer base.I know thats a big deposit for a project that could take a year in developement,but it would be a kit for the V6,not the 4 and i doubt they go out of buisness anytime soon.

http://www.alpine-developments.us/
[/b]
Considering we have less than 6 6i owners with turbos, this would...no IS impossible. $300 for an untested, undynoed, etc. supercharger. The members in here (myself included) are very cheap...Even if they have a good rep....

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
The mood of the 6 community regarding things "in development" is an "I'll believe it when I see it" sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
A company should develop the product and invest first... not want people to cover all its development costs which is what he wants. 100 x 300. Pft...

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that being said, 35 people jumped on the cp-e headers which cost $1400.

getting 100 people to jump onto a product that could cost in excess of $4000 would be flat out a miracle.

i think alot of people clamour for a turbo kit, but when it comes to putting up the costs no one shows up at the party.

just look at the 6i, they're lucky to have a quality product like the haas turbo and yet barely any biters.

a year later the 3.5L duratech might be available for the new mazda6 so it would make more sense to jump on that bandwagon and just upgrade the whole car.

that being said, i'd love a supercharger just to add 50 or so more whp that costs less than 3K. but its probably a pipe dream.

on an unrelated note, even the TSX now has a comptech supercharger kit but it sells close to 4k. however, even with the supercharger the tsx just gets up to stock 6s torque levels :nana:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28196

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
the TSX is a very unimpressive car performance wise. i'd take a 6i over one any day. they're not difficult cars for even my 6i atx to hang with.

personally, even if i had the money for a turbo, i still wouldn't get one. because i'd spend another 1-2k in beefing up the transmission, a couple sets of tires (since i'd destroy the first set asap getting used to the power) and trying to get an LSD.

compare that to some other cars with more active markets and stronger internals from the factory, and its just very difficult to committ to something like a turbo for the 6. i think a supercharger for the 6s has a much more willing market. lets face it, the average owner of a 6i probably makes a bit less than the average owner of a 6s. and i hate saying that, but companies should be making products for the 6s first, 6i second.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I wonder if the mazda6 would run better off a turbo or a supercharger. I know that in a Pontiac GTP which comes stock with a powerful supercharger, a turbo setup actually was better for the car and gave it less time in the 1/4 mile. maybe the supercharger wasn't the best, but it put out alot of power. that could have been the reason.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
the key reason companies should (and have) made setups for the 6i is because of the platform. a few tweaks and it can be used on the 3, the focus as well as the fusion. doing R&D on the engine kills 4 platforms....now just worry about piping at tuning, you already know how it will hold the boost.

what tuner cars use the duratec 3.0....? and i mean avg. joe tuners...not the noble. don't get me wrong, there is potential, but these are reasons why the 6i gets more play.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If we wait long enough, maybe CP-E will come out with one. In casual conversation with Josh via email this week he mentioned they do intend to try and fit a supercharger on the 6s after a couple of other projects are done.

So maybe in time. But with the Speed6 and Speed3 on the way, it might be at least another year or two away.

But by then maybe more people will be out of warranty and willing to take the risk.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
CP-E did plan one, but going FI on the 3.0 didn't seem worth it, unless the interest is really there. Knowing a $1400 header from CP-E took 30+ buyers... imagine a $4k+ Supercharger. R&D is much more on FI on our cars than headers, at least I would imagine it is. Tuning is also an issue, somewhat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
18 Participants
oddjobski
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing