1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bonjour à tous,

I just hit the 5000kms mark & here's my main findings:

First, on the negative side:

-Seats are so-so (I had Recaros in my previous car). You feel the 'lines' in the seat under your ass (not very comfortable) and the lateral support is average (would be OK in a Accord but it is not an Accord). By far my biggest issue (by the way, anybody knows if we can fit Recaro seats in a 6?).
-Tires: Michelin Pilot are very good 4 seasons tires but this great handling car deserves better than very good 4 seasons tires. These would be great on a Camry but they are out of place on a great handling car like the 6.
-Turning radius: Much too large. Not a big issue on the daily driving but not very convenient in Town or when you want to park your car in tight spaces.
-Fuel economy: Average, 26-27MPG - mixed driving (Canadian gallons are 4.55liters).
On the other hand, it is not entirely the car fault. Of course, It is not as good as say an Accord but on the other hand, it is impossible to drive the 6 like an Accord.

On the positive side:

Almost everything else.

-The engine (personnally, I always like four cylinders engines) is very responsive (thus I would like to find another 20hp).
-Handling is great (imagine with real performance summer tires).
-Brakes are very strong.
-Steering feel is very good.
-Dynamics: You will have to spend much more money to find better dynamics in a 4 door / 5 passengers sedan.

Bottom line. If you want the best all around sedan for the money, buy the Accord.
If you want the best sport sedan for the money, buy the 6 (nothing comes ever close).

GUY

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Reading Topic: 6i with 17 inches - 5000kms report

Just a note the turning radius on the 6 is 38 feet. On the Accord is 36 feet.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Miata = 30ft. TC

2003 BMW 330 = 34.4

2003 Accord = 38.8
2003 Mazda6 = 38.7
2003 Camry Solara = 38.1

Typical FWD turning radius

The Z06 Corvette has a TC of 40.2 ft., the Viper 40.5

it is impossible to drive the 6 like an Accord.[/b]
Bingo!

And I agree on the tires but we have to remember that the 6 is a year round car and Mazda doesn't need a pile of law suits because the average U.S. Joe didn't understand what a Summer tire is.

I've deceided to look for a set of OEM 17 rims but if they don't turn up soon I'm just going to put on a set of 225/50-16 Yokohama AVS ES100.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

? On the Accord website the Accord is stated in the Specs to have a 36 foot turning radius? Is the 38 reading for an older model?

·
Registered
262 Posts

Whoa you just really confused me kincaid. In your first post, you said the 6 has a 38 ft turning radius and the Accord has a 36 ft turning radius. Then in your second post, you question yourself saying the Accord is stated in the specs to have a 36 ft turning radius instead of a 38 ft, despite the fact that you never said the Accord had a 38 ft turning radius.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

? No I was right with my second post.

Accord - 36 feet
Mazda6 - 38 feet

Jay says the Accord is 38.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Sorry, brain fart. Yes the Accord is 36.1 (honda.com) and 36.9 at Edmunds.com

·
Registered
837 Posts

You sure about the turning radius. I looked at both Canadian brochure and they indicate having the exact turning radius, 5.9m or diameter 11.8m.

I am assuming that both company would give the specs for the lowest level model which both cars will have 16" tires.

·
Registered
376 Posts

hieppo, if you are right then 11,8 m = 38,71 ft

well, after around 4000 km (2485 miles!!) i got my first windshield repair :(

but besides this, i can say there is not much negative to tell about the 6...

i agree with you Guy, nothing comes close to the 6 for a sport sedan! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts