Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I know in the 2.3l forum I'm going to get an overwhelming response in one direction but I figured I'd ask anyway:
I just have a random question after browsing the forums for a while
What mods/how much would they cost to be able to bring the 2.3 to be as fast as the stock 6s?

Would it be better to start right with the 6s and then begin the modding with that?

I know Mr. Tea has his badass turbo'd 6i but with the amount of scratch he put into that he is coming close to speed6 price I'd be thinking.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Stretch's 6i mtx dynoed the exact same as a stock v6 mtx with the following:

CPE MAFci
Modified Throttle Body
Wagner Header and Midpipe
Lightweight 16's

I believe that was it. Only problem is that headers aren't available anymore. If cams are ever released then that's another possibility. I'd probably go for the v6. Not much to mod on the 6i that is worth it.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I beleive he had the tunable version of the cp-e.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Depends...On what you want?

Power = 6s

Drivability = 6i

Both give and take somewhat....

You get better gas on the i, but you get more umph on the s

If you want to be fast and NA get the 6S

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
I know Mr. Tea has his badass turbo'd 6i but with the amount of scratch he put into that he is coming close to speed6 price I'd be thinking.
[/b]
i wish i got off that cheap!!

if you like modding, then i think the 6i would be a bit better as there is more available...so if you really wanted to you could get it up into the 200whp range while keeping it all motor...so that's above most modded 6s's currently running around. BUT that would be to the extent of CAI/intake manifold/cams/header/midpipe/exhaust (single to save a bit of weight?) and some light wheels would help put it down too.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Stretch's 6i mtx dynoed the exact same as a stock v6 mtx with the following:

CPE MAFci
Modified Throttle Body
Wagner Header and Midpipe
Lightweight 16's

I believe that was it. Only problem is that headers aren't available anymore. If cams are ever released then that's another possibility. I'd probably go for the v6. Not much to mod on the 6i that is worth it.
[/b]

Did he dyno the same in hp or tq? Cause I doubt those mods would bring up his torque numbers to that of the v6 and torque matters quite a bit for off-the-line performance. The tq numbers for the 4 banger with the CP-E and headers weren't that great if I remember clearly.

I'd start with a fast car and then add mods to that. With that said ,the v6 mtx would be the best choice unless you have the cash to throw at a turbo for the 6i which will then make the Mazdaspeed 3 or 6 the smarter choice. If you want an automatic then definately get the v6 or buy a Mazda 3.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Why get a Mazda 3? the 6i is faster and more roomy
[/b]

The 3s is faster:

MTX 0-60 7.2-7.5 seconds (6i MTX - 7.9 seconds or higher)
Auto: about 8 seconds (6i Auto is closer to 9 seconds!)
Quarter - 15.7 (mtx) (6i MTX - 16.4 or higher)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Did he dyno the same in hp or tq? Cause I doubt those mods would bring up his torque numbers to that of the v6 and torque matters quite a bit for off-the-line performance. The tq numbers for the 4 banger with the CP-E and headers weren't that great if I remember clearly.
[/b]
It was the same hp and about the same torque (only about 5whp less.) The conversions I did are based on about a 15% difference between the dynojet and the mustang dyno that Stretch's car was on. Also can't forget the lighter weight of the 6i which helps with acceleration.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
The 3s is faster:

MTX 0-60 7.2-7.5 seconds (6i MTX - 7.9 seconds or higher)
Auto: about 8 seconds (6i Auto is closer to 9 seconds!)
Quarter - 15.7 (mtx) (6i MTX - 16.4 or higher)
[/b]
Yeah which those times could be matched by lightweight 16's and the Gutted airbox mod..WOW big diff :sarc:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well if you guys had checked my sig im not looking to buy either a 6s or a 6i (and especially not a 3) as I already have my speed6. I was just looking for some random info to fill my head and answer some questions so you guys really shouldnt be trying to "sway me" in one direction or the other lol

Depends...On what you want?

Power = 6s

Drivability = 6i

Both give and take somewhat....

You get better gas on the i, but you get more umph on the s

If you want to be fast and NA get the 6S
[/b]
Just out of curiousity what does the 6i have that makes it more "drivable"? Because it is a little lighter or is there something else I'm missing

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
"driveable" from what i have been reading on the forums in past months is looked at in two ways
1) there is the mpg...because of gas prices....save money on gas...lose power
2) if you are going autox....although the 6s has more hp...it has more weight to lug around....making it understeer like crazy...meaning it takes more for us to be able to handle as well. So what we gain in hp we lose in handling because the engine and whatever are that much more...

myself...I drove both...I liked the handling of the 6i....but loved the seat of my pants in the 6s. Both are "peppy", i just preferred the 6s. I bought the 6s thinking (not knowing...aka didn't reasearch) that i was buying a faster car to which I could modify, and had more room to play with the engine...aka T/C or S/C...neither of which are offered at this time...so its a win lose...for now I will just get a lighter flywheel, and clutch and work from there

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
lighter car, lighter engine
better weight distribution
=
better handling

ps: ms6 has terrible weight distribution

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lighter car, lighter engine
better weight distribution
=
better handling

ps: ms6 has terrible weight distribution
[/b]
Uh how do you figure the ms6 has terrible weight distribution...it has the ligher engine up front similar in weight to the 6i and the AWD system in the rear further balances the weight closer to the center of the car.

(yeah the 6 speed adds a little more weight to the front but the weight of the AWD system more than makes up for that)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Uh how do you figure the ms6 has terrible weight distribution...it has the ligher engine up front similar in weight to the 6i and the AWD system in the rear further balances the weight closer to the center of the car.

(yeah the 6 speed adds a little more weight to the front but the weight of the AWD system more than makes up for that)
[/b]
I was about to say the same thing...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The 4 cyl. has better weight distribution and is a better handling car in general. Pushing the power of the 4 cylinder up to get the performance of the 6 cyl. will require some major engine upgrades as mentioned. These modifications are going to make the car louder with more NVH also. When you step on the gas to pass in the stock 6 cyl, you accelerate and move on. When you do the same in the modified 4 cyl. everyone within 3 car lengths knows it. That's a major driveability issue for me anyway...

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
NVH...? my car shouldn't shake like a paint mixer??

and depending who/where you are, letting people know you're coming is the best part! or at least the quick blow off to let them know you are passing them now

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
21 Participants
MrTea
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing