Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2006 6i in May 2006 and now it's making a moderately loud ticking noise at idle. I searched, but didn't see many threads of owners complaining about the 6i ticking.

The ticking is only there at idle, once the gas is pressed, the ticking goes away. The car also only ticks if the engine is idling in drive IE at a stop light. If I move the shifter into neutral or park, the noise goes away. The dealer says it's normal, but since I only saw a couple of threads about ticking from a 6i, I'm wondering if it's really "normal".

My definition of moderately loud, everyone in the car can hear it as long as the radio volume isn't above 4.

Is that normal, or should I take it to another dealer?

Thanks

·
Registered
461 Posts
Shouldn't be ticking loud enough for you to hear it in the cabin. My car isn't that loud anyhow. I would take it to another dealer who is willing to actually look into the problem and see if maybe it's just something hitting the pulley or maybe the valve train is being stupid. You never know, could be something really minor or something that makes your engine go BOOM!

·
Registered
31 Posts
It kind of sounds like maybe one of your lifters isn't getting enough oil at idle. I had an old truck that used to be that way. Its not totatly serious, but could cause some damage if left alone long enough. Id be taking it in for a few more opinions.

If you open the hood have a friend put the car in drive and hold the break so you can you hear where the sound is actually coming from? That might help pin point the problem too.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I will pop the hood this week to see where the sound id coming from. I was thinking it was either noisy lifters or just a noisy valvetrain. It just made me mad that it's a brand new car and it sounds like a diesel.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Read this post and read what I had to say in it.........

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
IT'S GONNA BLOW!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts