Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy my 6 this week. I was always looing at the 6i instead of the 6s because I drive automatic and don't really need the power and I like the better gas mileage of a 4 cyl over a 6 cyl. The main thing I want with my car is ABS (See my other post) IN order to get the ABS on the 6i I also have to add the premium package so now the car is starting to head into 6s prices. Really, what are the advantages of a 6cyl over a 4cyl? Is it worth it to go 6s over 6i if I'm not one to need or look for speed?

Thanks

This board has been great so far by the way.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Reading Topic: 6i or 6s?

The 6s has a 5 speed automatic vs. the 4 speed in the 6i. The 6s comes standard with more features (auto. climate control, etc.). But if you don't want/need the extra power and do want/need the fuel economy, the 6i is still probably your best bet. I had thought that Mazda had made the ABS and side air bags as stand alone features after April 1. Maybe this is only available on factory order, but I'm pretty sure you should now be able to configure a 6i with ABS and without the premium package.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

i also want everyone to keep in mind that the 6 does have amazing brakes, even without the ABS.

-yasir

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

I just went to Mazda's website and configured a 6i auto. with nothing but ABS and traction control.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

if you going to get the 6i, I would look strongly at getting it in a MT. It has much more power, in fact the MT 6i feels much like the AT 6s in terms of acceleration. If you have to get an auto, I would get the 6s, there seems to be alot of AT 6s 's around so you should be able tog et a good deal.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

None of the dealers anywhere in LA, Ca. seem to have the 6i with JUST ABS. And the side airbags seem impossible to find. I think I can order one- but that would mean a wait- and I need to get the car within the next week.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

You are already sold on the 6i. Let's eliminate all issues except what you are concerned with:

Do I need ABS?

ABS is nice, but it is not necessary. Admittedly, I've had two instances in my life where I've said that ABS saved me from an accident (one of them was about two weeks ago!) Even given that, would I spend $3000 more for a plethora of features I didn't care about just to get ABS? No.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Replying to Topic '6i or 6s?'

How much better would a MT 6s perform compared to a AT 6s in terms of acceleration?
Would it perform lesser than 6.8 secs in 0-60mph?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Originally posted by 6vision

How much better would a MT 6s perform compared to a AT 6s in terms of acceleration?  
Would it perform lesser than 6.8 secs in 0-60mph?[/b]
From Various Magazines 0-60 mph

Mazda6i MT 7.8
Mazda6i AT 9.5? (haven't seen this tested yet)

Mazda6s MT 6.67
Mazda6s AT 8.10

That damn torque converter really takes its toll. can't wait till all cars are some form of CVT or clutchless manual tranny

·
Registered
498 Posts

You may also get a sweet deal on a 6i right now. Mazda made a pretty bad blunder when they began production: They advertised the 6s manual on TV, but they only made a small percentage of the 6 series in manual, both the i and the s. In addition, they made a lot more 6i's, but everyone wanted the 6s. So dealers ended up with lots of leftover 6i's (mostly automatic); and a shortage of 6s's. As a result, Mazda has started offering incentives on the 6i. You'll probably be able to get some very good financing rates, and/or nice discounts off of MSRP. If you're on a budget and not concerned about power, then go for the 6i automatic (since it sounds like you prefer automatic over manual).

Personally, I would recommend going for the 6s, since it's been my experience in the past that 4-cyl autos have almost no power. The 6s automatic will have a lot more get-up-and-go, at the expense of lower gas mileage (probably by about 2 or 3 mpg). I myself have a 6s manual, since I prefer manuals over autos. I'm getting close to 25 mpg, which is towards the top of the EPA's rating of 20 city/27 hwy.

Good luck to you on your purchase! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts