Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bonjour,

I have a 6i with the 2.3L.

When I check the oil level in the morning (engine cold, car at level); the level is at min on the oil stick.
I do not start the engine, I do not move the car and if I check the oil a second time, the level on the stick is at max!!!

I check this numerous times and it is always the same thing.
I think the second read (or the third of the fourth as they are alike) is the good one as the first read the next day after my first oil change at the dealer was also at min... like the first read when I got the car.

However, I can not understand why?
Have you ever noticed that? Any logical explanation?

GUY

·
Registered
14 Posts
Replying to Topic '6i - oil level mystery'

Originally posted by GUY

Bonjour,

I have a 6i with the 2.3L.

When I check the oil level in the morning (engine cold, car at level); the level is at min on the oil stick.
I do not start the engine, I do not move the car and if I check the oil a second time, the level on the stick is at max!!!

I check this numerous times and it is always the same thing.
I think the second read (or the third of the fourth as they are alike) is the good one as the first read the next day after my first oil change at the dealer was also at min... like the first read when I got the car.

However, I can not understand why?
Have you ever noticed that? Any logical explanation?

GUY[/b]
have you seen the plumbing for this system?
i have the 2.3 also and it is a different set up. it has a filter element rather than a traditional filter. it also holds alot of oil in that resevior
it might explain it, that when it is started the excess in fed back to the pan.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Reading Topic: 6i - oil level mystery

I dont know if this is relevant, but it cought my attention, in the manual for my 6s, it said to check the oil with the engine off at operating temp. If its the same for the 6i that could be whats giving you the bad readings (checking it cold); although if that were the case I would think it would look like it was overfilled...anyway something to check

·
Registered
383 Posts

Sounds to me like he is not starting the car before checking the second time. Could be the dipstick is not a tight fit and is vibrating up a little during the last drive. Or maybe there is a problem w/the PCV system and excessive pressure is pushing the stick up a little.

My suggestion is to make sure the dipstick is pushed down all the way b4 the first check.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Old school here, but I was taught to remove the stick, wipe, replace and then take reading.

I come from the days of full service gas stations. When you pulled in they pumped the gas, cleaned the windshield, checked the oil and air in the tires, for free. Seems they may have done it that way for a reason.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Jay, come to think of it, that's how I do it too...guess I'm old too! :)

The reason for doing that when the engine was just run is because all the oil sloshing and splashing around in the pan would give a false reading on the stick - too high.

Since Guy's car has been sitting all night, most of the oil should have drained down the stick to the actual level in the pan. If any oil is adhering to the stick from the previous day's drive, he would be showing a too high reading, not too low.

The only way I can see for him to have a low reading on the first read and then a full reading on the second (and subsequent) reading is if the dipstick is not fully seated on the first read.

So, Guy, I would follow Jay's method of ignoring the initial read (or not even bother looking at it).

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

hmmm..I must be old too, I didnt even think about someone just pulling the stick out and looking at it, always wipe it down once then check.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I'd like to think it's not an "old" or "young" thing, but rather just the best way to check your oil. :) I always wipe the stick once before checking the level.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Salut à tous,

Just to confirm that yes the oil stick was seated the first time (it was the first thing I did check).

I had cars for 25 years (so I'm old); I've always checked my oil the engine cold in the morning and it is the very first time I see (or hear) something like that.

I know it does not sound logical (at least for me) but...

Try it with your own 6i...GUY

1 - 9 of 9 Posts