Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crossbow's write up on 6tech states several times that the 6i doesn't have a crush washer on the ATX drain plug. My '03 sure enough does.

Proof:

Luckily I had a few for my speed6's oil drain laying around, and they happen to be the same size. The bolt is 18mm, not 20mm like in his write up.

I also recall reading on here that the 6i has a crush washer on the oil drain plug. Well, mine sure enough doesn't. See:

So is my 03 6i just a freak or is everyone's like this?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Crossbow's write up on 6tech states several times that the 6i doesn't have a crush washer on the ATX drain plug. My '03 sure enough does.

Proof:

Luckily I had a few for my speed6's oil drain laying around, and they happen to be the same size. The bolt is 18mm, not 20mm like in his write up.

I also recall reading on here that the 6i has a crush washer on the oil drain plug. Well, mine sure enough doesn't. See:

So is my 03 6i just a freak or is everyone's like this?
[/b]

I have an 04 and I don't know about the ATX drain plug but my oil plug looks exactly like yours.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yep, I noticed the crush washer on mine during the 1st drain/refill, and its the same as yours. It was stuck to the ATF pan for the 1st 3 or so drain/refills. The ATF pan paint held it there making it less noticeable. I've got 7 drain/refills on it with replacing it yet.

My oil drainplug is the same as yours.

Other 6i's that I've worked on had the same ATF and oil drainplugs.

Remember to lay off the beer when working on your car!

2003 6i 35k miles

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I noticed the crush washer on mine during the 1st drain/refill, and its the same as yours. It was stuck to the ATF pan for the 1st 3 or so drain/refills. The ATF pan paint held it there making it less noticeable. I've got 7 drain/refills on it with replacing it yet.

My oil drainplug is the same as yours.

Other 6i's that I've worked on had the same ATF and oil drainplugs.

Remember to lay off the beer when working on your car!

2003 6i 35k miles
[/b]
Well, truth be told this is my second drain / refill. The crush washer stuck to the plug last time. The only reason I even thought of it this time is that I noticed evidence that I was losing fluid around the drain plug. Not enough to notice on the dipstick, but enough to muck up the tranny pan and surrounding areas.

Oh, and beer is an essential part of my maintenance routine. It keeps me mellow so I don't overtorque anything! :cheers:

·
Registered
88 Posts
my 2007 6i doesn't have one and it has a different pan and plug then most of the pics of other 6is' I've seen. I'll take some pics later and post em.

On a side note, does anyone know what trans. is in an 07 6i?

·
Registered
137 Posts
KIK, I have the same plug with crush washer as you...

mine is an 05 6i 4 speed ATX

notice the krylon black spray paint - I used a wire brush and dremel to remove

just found out these don't have a trans filter.... lol

been changing a few qts. every oil change since 10k mi. - as per crossbow

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I posted about that a long time ago in some ATX fluid changing post. I don't expect anybody to find it.....I noticed after the second drain/fill when it was found in the bottom of the catch pan after I already filled it back up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts