Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, talk me into the 4 cylinder.

I have not driven a Mazda6 yet, but am skeptical of 4cylinders. There have only been 2 that I've driven that I've liked, and they were both much lighter cars. Handling and feel is what I'm all about, and I know the 4 is supposed to be superior in these areas, but I have a hard time accepting a 4.

6 cylinders work less and therefore should last longer. More headroom is good, as I learned becoming an audiophile.

I can't say how hard I'm gonna push the Mazda6 - after all, it's still a sedan, how hard can one push a sedan? My wife will drive it most of the time (probably about 70%-80%); so she wants a nice ride, but I want a little fun in it when I drive it (which I will).

Opinions please!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Replying to Topic '6 to 4 to 6'

It depends on what you like best, straight-line acceleration or handling. If you like handling, get the lighter engine for better weight distribution, front to rear. You also gotta like a manual transmission. Don't get the 4 with an automatic.

I drive a 99 Honda Accord with the 4 cyl. and a 5-speed. 0-20 is not fun, but 20-70 is a gas! Keep the revs up and have a good time!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Originally posted by iceman
 You also gotta like a manual transmission.  Don't get the 4 with an automatic.[/b]
Manuals and women don't mix. :(

·
Registered
158 Posts

I haven't test driven the 2.3, but the V6 handles just fine. :)

I test drove it at night in the rain, and had a great time in a parking lot. The car stays planted and in control through a corner at full throttle. Weight transfer is predictable when getting it to change direction in hard cornering under full throttle. At no time did I ever feel like I would loose control of the vehicle.

·
Registered
319 Posts

I highly doubt the rationale that 6 cylinders work less than 4 cylinders, so it will probably last longer. First, there just doesn't seem to be any evidence backing that up, as I would guess that a majority of engines with 300,000+ miles on them are probably 4 cylinders. Second, I don't think it can possibly be true that the 6 cylinders have to work less hard. The extra cylinders make extra power, that is why the V6 has more go power than the 4, each cylinder makes its own power. Multiply by 4 or by 6, each cylinder is going to make its own power.

If you're getting the automatic (which isn't cool, but I understand ;) ); I'd get the V6. The I4 is a nice engine, but when mated to the 4 speed auto, you've got some pretty big gear spacing, and acceleration is going to be pretty lethargic I'd imagine. It seems to me Mazda has made the I4 auto the combo that goes for nice, easy cruising, and good fuel economy, not for great acceleration.

Hope that helps. If you think you might seriously get the 5 speed, that's a different question.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Originally posted by Jerome81

If you're getting the automatic (which isn't cool, but I understand ;) ); I'd get the V6.  The I4 is a nice engine, but when mated to the 4 speed auto, you've got some pretty big gear spacing, and acceleration is going to be pretty lethargic I'd imagine.  It seems to me Mazda has made the I4 auto the combo that goes for nice, easy cruising, and good fuel economy, not for great acceleration.[/b]

Good point. That helps alot.

Originally posted by mpulse1

I haven't test driven the 2.3, but the V6 handles just fine. :)

I test drove it at night in the rain, and had a great time in a parking lot. The car stays planted and in control through a corner at full throttle. Weight transfer is predictable when getting it to change direction in hard cornering under full throttle. At no time did I ever feel like I would loose control of the vehicle.[/b]
That helps too.

Thanks for those words. Good points and they help my decision alot.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Originally posted by Jerome81
The extra cylinders make extra power, that is why the V6 has more go power than the 4, each cylinder makes its own power.  Multiply by 4 or by 6, each cylinder is going to make its own power.[/b]
That's the point...If the 6 cylinder can make a certain level of power at 60% of it's top, and the 4 makes that same level of power at 80% of it's top, then yes, the 6 is working less.

disclaimer: numbers not calculated. only estimated to show a point.

·
Registered
791 Posts

Ever drive the MX-6 V6? Way fast, way fun!

Well, the 6's new 4cyl is only 5hp shy of the MX-6, and 100lbs heavier. Neither figure is monumentally worse. The new 4cyl engine also produces 90% of it's maximum torque from 2000rpm up.

Again, the MX-6 was way fast.

Edit: actually, I've "simulated" the weight of a 6 in an MX-6 by putting 3 large adults (+500lbs) in it. Still way fast!!! I dunno about a 6 with 5 adults though...

·
Registered
446 Posts

On the topic of 4cylinders working harder - I can see applejax's point and have a little evidence to back it up:
Growing up we had a 1986 Dodge Caravan. The Caravan first came out in 1984 but the 1986 model was one that Dodge was still learning from and had it's share of problems. Ours was a 4cyl and it went through 3 engines in it's lifetime (around 8 years). The problem was the Caravan could really haul a lot of stuff inside but the engine was too small. With just 4 adults and moderate luggage the 4 worked much harder. Eventually Dodge dropped the 4 and only a 6 was available for the Caravan. Granted, this is an extreme power to weight ratio example but it does prove a point. A 4 cylinder can be overworked due to weight.
Now, this probably doesn't apply as much to the Mazda6 since there's no way it's laden weight will be too much for the 4 banger, but you get the point. On that note, IMHO, I don't think the 4 will need to work that much harder than the 6 in the case of the Mazda6.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

The only really good advice is: try both!

I don't think you will be able to satisfy your need 2 know in any other way. Out of what I've read I think you may end up choosing the 4-cylinder (and after trying it out, I got to admit it is quite V6-ish in its behaviour - heck even my 2.0 is!)

Anyway, a 6 is always a 6. And if vanilla flavour is what makes you tick, then by all means - go for that!:)

·
Registered
791 Posts

But on the subject of durability, Toyota Corollas and Honda Civics have puny 4 cylinder engines-- barely enough to pull their own weight-- and are some of the longest lasting engines on the road. My 13 year old Celica has a tiny 1.6l 4 with 120k miles and runs very well. I've heard it suggested that the seals in 4 cyl engines last longer because, as opposed to a V6, gravity is not constantly pulling the weight of the piston all to one side.

Edit: I should also mention that I drive that puny 1.6 liter engine HARD.

Edit 2: AND, since the manual gearing is the same for both cars, the V6 isn't spinning any less despite its excess power. Sure, each piston won't be working as hard, but it will be doing the same amount of work.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Unfortunately not. You see, we have one dealer that has two dealerships in my area. The email I received, the "Internet Manager", is from the location that is a bit inconvenient to me. The other lot, however, is only about 4-5 miles away. I have driven by the closer lot a few times, and was disappointed in the lack of a '6. They must be hording them all in the other location.

I didn't look in the showroom yet, though. But I don't want to. I just want to cruise by and see it, then maybe I'll sneak in to do a walkaround.

I haven't been by in a few days...Maybe I'll swing by today if I get the opportunity.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I know what you mean. And it's sort of an exciting game driving by every once in a while to see..."what if it's there today?". And then suddenly one day, it is.

I look forward to hearing your first reflections to see if this car moves you as it did me. It looks great in pictures, but in reality...wow.

Perhaps they've got them already, but has them in the showroom and/or the shop to prepare them for the showroom...too bad only that would take away the fun of the driving by...

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

Oh, and PS.  When I do see it, I don't think you'll have to ask.  :D[/b]
Oh...I got that!! (Only I've had so much with our little one and with all this work, so I don't feel all that up to date with what's going on here all the time...:sarc )

·
Registered
58 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

Originally posted by applejax

Oh, and PS.  When I do see it, I don't think you'll have to ask.  :D[/b]
Oh...I got that!! (Only I've had so much with our little one and with all this work, so I don't feel all that up to date with what's going on here all the time...:sarc )[/b][/quote]

Amen to that...ever since the reorganization with all the new topics, it seems that I never have time to keep up.

Applejax - you do know that you can go to mazdausa.com to the 6 feature and click on the "locate" button - just enter your zip code and the web site should bring up all the local dealerships. click on a dealership and you'll be able to see if there are any 6s in inventory. I do this a few times a day and...blast it all...there are NONE in any of the Seattle area locations. Makes me sort of regret moving from California (but not really).

MM

1 - 20 of 28 Posts