Mazda 6 Forums banner

6 OWNERS from Alberta

65K views 607 replies 56 participants last post by  Sacs 
#1 ·
Hi;

Just curious, how many of you are from Alberta or even Saskatchewan?
There are a lot in Ontario and BC I see.... :cheers:

#52 ·
Originally posted by Smilinvamp@Aug 28 2005, 06:49 AM

If you like info on where to get any of that stuff I'd be happy to help you out.

[snapback]494318[/snapback]​
Well, thanks for the offer.

I guess you would be a good person to ask, and maybe some of the other Albertans in here could answer this too. How do you find the stock 17" tires for handling in winter. I know there is a thread already for this in another part of the forum, but I don't really care about Ontario or New York or wherever else those people are from. I am planning on getting winter tires, but I am just curious how desperately I need them.

Another question, do you guys do lots of stuff together, like Mazda in the Mountains. I think that would be something cool to get into (although I would always be shown up as I don't quite have the cash to drop on my car that I some people do). But it would be cool to hang out with some other 6 owners. I would come to MIM today but already got roped into going to the zoo with my wife.

Anyways, talk to you later.

Peace (or soemthing)

jaybag

#53 ·
The Mazda in the Mountains gig was set up by FunkyBudda form the protege club. We just hung out with them...

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=77

You may want to hang out there above. It's a little more interesting than here.

As for tires... I drive the stock tires in winter... they work fine. You can't get winter tires for the 17's I don't think. You have to get those steel wheels with the rubber I think. They may rub and wreck your fender wells anyway. But don't take my word for that... I'd talk to your dealer about winter tires if your lookin'.

StevenKim says his tires work good too... I'd just try it for a bit and if you really still want winter tires then get them later.

#54 ·
Hey Jaybag,

Congratulations on the purchase!
Those other posts with people complaining about winter driving in NY or TO should be disregarded. I don't mean to be cocky - but they just need to learn how to drive in the winter!

The Michelin Pilots that the car is equipped with are decent for wet/icy weather conditions. Also, the torque peak on Mazda6s is much higher - which helps wheelspin... but it depends on what you've driven before. Before I bought mine, I had a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT and all its torque was in the low RPM range. That, coupled with the miserable Goodyear Eagle RS-As made driving in the winter quite interesting.

Depending on where and how far you drive - you should be fine. But the stock rims are the "Porsche-inspired" kind that stick out and have no lip. That certainly doesn't make them curb friendly. If you're concerned with ruining them, then I'd suggest getting winter tires and 16" rims as well (Bridgestone makes Blizzaks for 215/50R17 rims but they're not cheap).

Regarding Mazda meets... I don't think you really have to worry about "being shown up" because the emphasis is meeting based on a common interest - not just mods. I chose to spend more on a Mazda6 rather than purchase a Mazda3 and "rice it out" to the max. I don't feel that I'm not respected for my choice. There's nothing wrong with stock configuration, or subtle mods. Lol, but maybe I'm biased.

Anyhow, welcome and enjoy.

Steven

Originally posted by jaybag@Aug 28 2005, 10:35 AM
Well, thanks for the offer.

I guess you would be a good person to ask, and maybe some of the other Albertans in here could answer this too.  How do you find the stock 17" tires for handling in winter.  I know there is a thread already for this in another part of the forum, but I don't really care about Ontario or New York or wherever else those people are from.  I am planning on getting winter tires, but I am just curious how desperately I need them.

Another question, do you guys do lots of stuff together, like Mazda in the Mountains.  I think that would be something cool to get into (although I would always be shown up as I don't quite have the cash to drop on my car that I some people do).  But it would be cool to hang out with some other 6 owners.  I would come to MIM today but already got roped into going to the zoo with my wife.

Anyways, talk to you later.

Peace (or soemthing)

jaybag
[snapback]494395[/snapback]​

#56 ·
Originally posted by StevenKim@Aug 29 2005, 01:15 AM

Regarding Mazda meets... I don't think you really have to worry about "being shown up" because the emphasis is meeting based on a common interest - not just mods.  I chose to spend more on a Mazda6 rather than purchase a Mazda3 and "rice it out" to the max.  I don't feel that I'm not respected for my choice.  There's nothing wrong with stock configuration, or subtle mods. Lol, but maybe I'm biased.
[snapback]494878[/snapback]​
Yeah, I agree with that completely. Plus my wife wouldn't be too pleased if I started dropping a ton of cash on mods after buying a brand new car.

I have installed the clear side markers and I think I am going to leave it at that for the time being. I actually can't think of anything I actually want to spend money on right now.

Anyways, are there gonna be anymore meets before winter finally hits, or are we waiting for spring now? I would like to get in on one sometime before the snow flies.

Anyways, it has been 2 months and I still love the car. Nothing to fix on warranty yet, but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Anyways, back to work I guess.

#57 ·
Originally posted by jaybag@Oct 17 2005, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I agree with that completely.  Plus my wife wouldn't be too pleased if I started dropping a ton of cash on mods after buying a brand new car.

I have installed the clear side markers and I think I am going to leave it at that for the time being.  I actually can't think of anything I actually want to spend money on right now.

Anyways, are there gonna be anymore meets before winter finally hits, or are we waiting for spring now?  I would like to get in on one sometime before the snow flies.

Anyways, it has been 2 months and I still love the car.  Nothing to fix on warranty yet, but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Anyways, back to work I guess.
[snapback]536124[/snapback]​

The 4 of us could grab a coffee or something??? LOL!

#58 ·
Originally posted by Smilinvamp@Oct 19 2005, 12:21 PM
The 4 of us could grab a coffee or something???  LOL!
[snapback]537704[/snapback]​

Haha, yeah no doubt. Next time I am in Calgary. :D

#60 ·
Hey Folks,

I've had a red Mazda6 V6 since 2003, located here in Edmonton. I've driven it from coast to coast and enjoyed every moment of it (52,000kms so far)! Although, it was purchased for its fun factor, I am amazed at how practical a family sedan this really is (I'm constantly amazed at how much you can pack into this vehicle).

The only change I've made to my 6, so far, is my tires. THe stock Pilot's were fine for the first winter, and absolutely horrifying for the next. One of the tires was close to being bald and the others were starting to show a lot of wear. So switched them up for Nokian WRs, the only all-seasons with the extreme weather (winter tire) rating - practicality and cost won out over performance (saved me the cost of buying new summer and winter tires, not to mention winter rims) handles great but not quite as precise as stock.

Also looking to do a few "cheap" mods as they become available. Would be curious to know if anyone has done any mods and where they got the parts. Just fyi, I recently discovered that Mopac Auto Supply has the AEM CAI for $252.00 (including tax) which is more than a $100 bucks cheaper than driverfx.ca. Mopac seems to be the cheapest in town....still debating if a CAI is worth the investment and the extra ~10hp and torque.

Anyhoo see you on the street!

#61 ·
I was born in Edmonton and lived there my first 5 years. Somehow I'm in Columbus, OH.

just curious...is West Ed Mall still the largest in the world? i used to love going to that indoor wave pool!

#62 ·
Originally posted by gr8almty1@Oct 31 2005, 02:25 PM
is West Ed Mall still the largest in the world?
Yes. Here are some facts from their websites:

www.westedmontonmall.com

size - 5.3 million square feet
parking stalls - 20000
stores - 800
eating establishments - 110
theatre screens - 21

www.mallofamerica.com

size - 4.2 million square feet
parking stalls - 12550
stores - 520
eating establishments - 86
theatre screens - 14

#63 ·
Originally posted by deedub35@Nov 1 2005, 09:04 AM
Yes.  Here are some facts from their websites:

www.westedmontonmall.com

size - 5.3 million square feet
parking stalls - 20000
stores - 800
eating establishments - 110
theatre screens - 21

www.mallofamerica.com

size - 4.2 million square feet
parking stalls - 12550
stores - 520
eating establishments - 86
theatre screens - 14
[snapback]547546[/snapback]​
People who live in Edmonton that actually go to West Edmonton Mall - 20 (damn tourists)

Ok actually I used to go there lots when I lived there... it is just so damn annoying with all the people.

G
#64 ·
2005 Fully loaded Mazda6 Sportwagon here! One of the few Arctic Green in Edmonton actually.....hell, might be the only one...

Closest thing to mods so far...

35% tint on everything besides fronts.
soon to have the fronts done as well!

a Britex "cowprint" carseat! thing cost $350!

Planned mods to come...
Winter specific rim/tire set
Black Euro tails or NA '06 Black tails
Mazda sills that light up when doors are open
Additional light for huge ass trunk of the wagon
Hood lift struts
HID kit
Lower for lights to use a Driving lights
iPod integration
tranny cooler for the 6spd ATX

Anything else will be listed along the way!

By the way are there any other wagons here?

#65 ·
2005 Fully loaded Mazda6 Sportwagon here! One of the few Arctic Green in Edmonton actually.....hell, might be the only one...

[/b]

Do you have any pics of the Arctic Green? I am curious to see what it lloks like. Is that the same as Sepang Green in the states?

#66 ·
Just got my Mazdaspeed6, after 2.5 years with the 6iGT 5spd. Wooo!

Snow tires were mandatory on Day 2, but it's been darn warm ever since. Oh well, so much for tread life...

Have only seen one other in the Edmonton region, a red one also from Jarman Mazda.
Anyone else spotted an Alberta-based one?

#67 ·
Just got my Mazdaspeed6, after 2.5 years with the 6iGT 5spd. Wooo!

Snow tires were mandatory on Day 2, but it's been darn warm ever since. Oh well, so much for tread life...

Have only seen one other in the Edmonton region, a red one also from Jarman Mazda.
Anyone else spotted an Alberta-based one?
[/b]

Cool, I have not seen a Mazdaspeed 6 in Calgary yet... excellent purchase.

#68 ·
I was in Calgary for the past several days, and ran into a few fellow 6 owners. No one seemed to notice the new model.

Perhaps the grey finish is TOO stealthy.... nah.

But letmetellya.... the Speed6 can accelerate like a rocket in 6th gear!

Makes the Highway 2 Edm-Cgy-Edm run a very fun trip, just for a change

#69 ·
Hey guys...

Where do you run your block heater cord. Do you just flop it out of the front of the hood or is there someplace nice that is fits and is easy to get access to. I am having a hell of a time figuring out where to put it.

I am just concerned with scratching the paint at highway speeds if I was to just flop it out the front.

Anyways, thanks.

#70 ·
Hey guys...

Where do you run your block heater cord. Do you just flop it out of the front of the hood or is there someplace nice that is fits and is easy to get access to. I am having a hell of a time figuring out where to put it.

I am just concerned with scratching the paint at highway speeds if I was to just flop it out the front.

Anyways, thanks.
[/b]

The dealer ran mine throught the front lower grill. And there is a cap to protect the end too. They tie wraped it to the grill. I'm not sure I like it there, but it works I guess.

#71 ·
sunridge mazda in calgary has two mazdaspeed6 in the lot -- silver and black. fooking beautiful.

as for that shitty block heater cord, no way do i let it hang out. i keep it in the engine bay and raise the hood to get at it, and keep the hood ajar while it's plugged in. when unplugged, it goes back and the hood gets closed. dangling block heater cords are fugly and annoying. my 2 cents.

#73 ·
sunridge mazda in calgary has two mazdaspeed6 in the lot -- silver and black. fooking beautiful.

as for that shitty block heater cord, no way do i let it hang out. i keep it in the engine bay and raise the hood to get at it, and keep the hood ajar while it's plugged in. when unplugged, it goes back and the hood gets closed. dangling block heater cords are fugly and annoying. my 2 cents.
[/b]

I agree! In order to fix my issue I would have to crawl under the car and unpulg the cord from the block and run it back though the lower grill. Which is a pain, so I leave it for now I guess...

How many are annoyed by snow getting in the trunk when you open it, or snow getting into the pockets where the trunk supports rest? :swearin:

#74 ·
Why does this thread not show up in the Canada forum anymore. Has it been idle for too long? Does it get removed after a certain number of days of inactivity?

Of course, now that I have said something in it, it will be at the top of the page.

#76 ·
I think we got overridden by the Canada owners thread... they made it a sticky.

Did you see there is another Mazda in the Mountains meet being planned? (or did I methion that already once?)

Anyway here is the link: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123630826
[/b]
Yeah, you mentioned it before, thanks. Check out post #4 in the thread. :nana:

Are you planning on going to this one? Depending on the date, I will be there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.