Mazda 6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know street racing post is not allowed but it wasnt really a street race.

my friend has 04 rx-8 atx. 197 hp. AEM CAI. Greddy Catback

i have 04 6s 210hp stock.

we drove our cars fast in a closed parking lot. It was empty. very safe.

i guess it was 1/4 mile or less.

and suprisingly i raped him.

how did this happen.

if this post gets suspended oh well. but just wanted to tell yall what happened

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"extreme parking" yes.

no i drive ATX but i used tiptronic? if that helps.

he said he used tiptronic also.

·
Registered
814 Posts
i wouldn't call that a race either.

its more like "extreme parking"
[/b]
:laugh: thats classic.

I would have to agree with that as well. I am a firm believer that a race is won by a driver. Its that old saying, you can take the driver out of the car, but not the car out of the driver. Anything within reason (meaning no twin turbos, or a viper vs. my stock 6) would come down to that. Its possible you are just a better driver, or know your car a bit more. Switch with your friend and see who wins. But to protect myself and others...do it on a track ;)

·
Registered
412 Posts
"extreme parking" yes.

no i drive ATX but i used tiptronic? if that helps.

he said he used tiptronic also.
[/b]
If anything the tiptronic will make u slower if you were to screw up. Otherwise, if u stomp on it, the auto performs properly. Just like putting ur car in "3" so that you dont use your overdrive gear wont make a difference.

Maybe he shifted too early and you didnt, since you said he used it as well.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
On 6tech it is said that the ATX RX-8 does the 1/4 mile in around 18 seconds, which is pretty slow.
[/b]
Yalp, that's mini-van's speed right there. Even the nissan quest V6 will blow it out of the water.

·
Registered
867 Posts
not only is it the trans advantage but also that the auto is 212 hp and the 6 speed is 232 hp (2006) a 2005 was an even more difference of an auto being 197 hp and 6-speed of 238 hp. thats why it killed the auto

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
How did you beat him? Because an ATX RX-8 is, literally, one of the slowest cars you can buy today in a straight-line. It will get outran by a base model Honda Civic. About the only things that are slower than it it the absurdly-small-engined base-model Kias and Scions; the ones with engines barely more than a liter.

·
Registered
531 Posts
If what I read here and in the rx8 forums is correct then Sigma is right. The auto RX8 is pretty slow and imo, a big joke. I could give a rat's ass if it could corner faster, it's too slow to be considered a true sports car. I'm hearing the newer models are better but still don't perform like they should.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
It is simply amazing how much faster the MTX 6 speed Rx-8 is then the Auto RX-8. The auto has a whopping... wait for it... 9.2 second 0 to 60. I cant even believe mazda let it roll out of the assembly line. Its a really a shame, though a much bigger percentage of RX-8s are MTX.

The 6 speed RX-8 has a sub 6 second 0-60 and is fairly quick especially once you get the rotary up to speed. The 6 speed also has over 40HP more then the ATX and 2 gears.

Anyway, yes, you would have blasted it. I am not sure how they do once they get some speed but still, its hard to catch up when you are that far behind.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Its a really a shame, though a much bigger percentage of RX-8s are MTX. [/b]
Actually, they're not.

In the US, Auto RX-8s outsell the Manuals; almost 2/3rds of those sold here. And even in other parts of the world, it is very popular. Automatics make up about 40% of total RX-8 production.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I test drove an automatic RX-8 on the road, and I drove a manual RX-8 at ZoomZoomLive when I went. There is definitely a big difference. I don't know how much, as I didn't drive the cars back to back. But the RX-8 feels really slow with the auto.

·
Registered
143 Posts
rx8 is a track car, rx8 is proven to be as fast as m3 in track.

so mazda6 would lose.
[/b]
i totally agree with this, rx-8 is a track car and i have seen it done lap times as fast as M3s

but obivously, racing in general, a lot comes down to the driver and how well they know their car

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.