Mazda 6 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Double Din Project WIP - The Mounts

So as I was mentioning before the actual mounts for the Double Din unit is not fully on par with the Chinese units. To make things fit I need to cut off/back some of the plastic to make room for actually gluing/mounting the brackets on to fit the unit.

These are the points I'm planning to cut back:

And just to show how the brackets don't fit see this image:

I think cutting them down and using superglue may be the best option. As the plastic pins for the screws is quite frail and seems to be splitting when using the screws that came with the kit.

Ofc if others have any good ideas I'm all open for it. I won't be cutting it off/back until next week anyways as my focus this week is to get the cable sorted.

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
One more thing I forgot to mention, is that the spacer frame that comes with the Double Din kit doesn't work on the Chinese double din head units, its way to small. That also means that if one isn't using the spacer the fastening of the brackets for the head unit don't lign up right.

There are small raised pins from the kit to ensure the spacer frame locks in place right. I'll have to cut those off and also cut a tiny bit off the screw points that extrude from the Dash kit to fasten the brackets on. I'm thinking the best solution may be to use one screw in each bracket to make it sit reasonably firm to the kit, and then use some sort of super glue to make the brackets fit perfectly tight.

I'll add pictures of what I mean when I'm back home with the kit.
@ziggimon am I understanding that you arent using the included double din brackets? Would you be willing to sell them to me?

The used kit I bought had a single din in previously and the seller is having trouble locating the double din brackets for me.

Please let me know if you can help me out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
@ziggimon am I understanding that you arent using the included double din brackets? Would you be willing to sell them to me?

The used kit I bought had a single din in previously and the seller is having trouble locating the double din brackets for me.

Please let me know if you can help me out.
Hey Mr.Smoke,

I wish I could, but I won't be able to help out there. I mounted the brackets with superglue this evening. As I wrote I was going to cut the plastic mounts on the dash kit to fit the brackets. As you can see here:

and

So based on the mounts on the dash kit the brackets that came along with the double din radio where metal and didn't have wholes that fit the mount. So I opted to glue + one large screw per bracket and see if that along with the unit being a tight fit to keep it all in place.

I hope you can find brackets. Feeling your struggle there! It was quite a trip just to get my dash kit, I had to have it muled to me in Europe from the US (Seller didn't ship to EU).

Tomorrow I'm planning to complete the ISO cable splicing and if that goes well I should have time to mount the unit tomorrow (if the brackets hold up ofc).

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
Hey Mr.Smoke,

I wish I could, but I won't be able to help out there. I mounted the brackets with superglue this evening. As I wrote I was going to cut the plastic mounts on the dash kit to fit the brackets.
Not to worry. I am planning on making a set of brackets out of sheet metal anyways, but had hopes on still getting proper brackets from the kit. I will need to shave down the tabs and screw holes some so that my brackets sit flush to the inside of the fascia like yours do.

The guy I bought the kit from is going to look for the brackets again, but I have doubts he will find them. Ive already got a template made up for the screw holes once I have my brackets ready, so it shouldnt take much to make them.

Currently working on the mess of wiring to be completed! Ive never had this much to do for a headunit install lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not to worry. I am planning on making a set of brackets out of sheet metal anyways, but had hopes on still getting proper brackets from the kit. I will need to shave down the tabs and screw holes some so that my brackets sit flush to the inside of the fascia like yours do.

The guy I bought the kit from is going to look for the brackets again, but I have doubts he will find them. Ive already got a template made up for the screw holes once I have my brackets ready, so it shouldnt take much to make them.

Currently working on the mess of wiring to be completed! Ive never had this much to do for a headunit install lol.
I did find that the tabs to be slightly flaky, so if the wholes are slightly tight the tabs may crack. So I'm planning on using some adhesive once screwed in to make sure its stuck tightly.

But as you found out the wirering is the biggest mess :grin2: But hopefully it should ensure that all parts work after install. I prefer doing the splicing in the adapter wires over the cars wires :D But I still need to splice in 17 wires to the kit just to make all connections which is an awful lot cutting, soldering and shrink wrapping :wink2:

Most of all I'm looking forward to seeing things startup the first time. I do have a lot devices to attatch (DAB+, 4G Modem + Antenna, 2,5" SSD, External Mic, Powered USB Hub and reverse cam with LED) so that may take a while to make all things fit.

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
I did find that the tabs to be slightly flaky, so if the wholes are slightly tight the tabs may crack. So I'm planning on using some adhesive once screwed in to make sure its stuck tightly.

But as you found out the wirering is the biggest mess
But hopefully it should ensure that all parts work after install. I prefer doing the splicing in the adapter wires over the cars wires
But I still need to splice in 17 wires to the kit just to make all connections which is an awful lot cutting, soldering and shrink wrapping

Most of all I'm looking forward to seeing things startup the first time. I do have a lot devices to attatch (DAB+, 4G Modem + Antenna, 2,5" SSD, External Mic, Powered USB Hub and reverse cam with LED) so that may take a while to make all things fit.
Im not sure how many more connections I need to make. Im just going through them one by one, and if Im unsure about some I just message my friend as he knows installs VERY well. There will be 2 connections to make at the last moment during install for the steering wheel control module. It needs to be attached to 2 wires on the vehicle harness which I wont have access to until everything is apart.

I also need to go back in this thread and find the post about making the upper display screen work correctly on my 2007 as I dont want to lose the functionality of the display. I think Im getting close to finishing with the wiring for now though. Not many wires left loose anymore.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Im not sure how many more connections I need to make. Im just going through them one by one, and if Im unsure about some I just message my friend as he knows installs VERY well. There will be 2 connections to make at the last moment during install for the steering wheel control module. It needs to be attached to 2 wires on the vehicle harness which I wont have access to until everything is apart.

I also need to go back in this thread and find the post about making the upper display screen work correctly on my 2007 as I dont want to lose the functionality of the display. I think Im getting close to finishing with the wiring for now though. Not many wires left loose anymore.
I bought a Mazda 6 wireing kit with steering wheel adapter module from connect2 that came with a universal cable set from the adapter module that has those two wires for the controls on chinese units. So as I posted earlier I'm using that adapter kit to splice the remaining cables into. Thats where the high number count comes into play. The upper display needs 10 wires alone so it has some assembly required :D

Unfortunately I have no installer friend so I just need to pay attention while running the wires to the right cables :p

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
I bought a Mazda 6 wireing kit with steering wheel adapter module from connect2 that came with a universal cable set from the adapter module that has those two wires for the controls on chinese units. So as I posted earlier I'm using that adapter kit to splice the remaining cables into. Thats where the high number count comes into play. The upper display needs 10 wires alone so it has some assembly required

Unfortunately I have no installer friend so I just need to pay attention while running the wires to the right cables :p
Certainly sounds a lot more involved than mine lol. I hope to have my brackets made up by the weekend and finally get this thing installed!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cable Update

So I finally had time to complete the harness.. And yes it was quite the ordeal to get done. Splicing in all those wires and connectors truly made me aware of how vast this project became by adding a Chinese head unit. Yet I'm reasonably pleased with the result. And I tested all connections with a wire tester, so all should be ok. I tripple checked the connections on the LED Upper Display and verified the 5pin Molex connecter + CANBus cables that I pulled over from the dash kits universal harness. So fingers crossed when I get some free time I should be able to start running wires and install it in the car. And I really want to thank jcf6288 for his Upper display post it truly was a help making the harness. Post is here.

I took some shots of the harness to show how not so straight forward to join all these things together.

Cables explained:

The Mazda Adapter Kit isolated:

And I'm also pretty close to having all parts set right on the unit and faceplate ready to be mounted. I opted to use velcro tape for the misc things I needed to connect to get it as close to the unit as possible but also removable if I need to make adjustments to it.

Most parts added can be seen here:

Assembled 1:

Assembled 2:

Assembled 3:

I hope my posts and images are found useful to others that want to embark on a project like this and help them make the right choices for their setup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I finally had time to complete the harness.. And yes it was quite the ordeal to get done. Splicing in all those wires and connectors truly made me aware of how vast this project became by adding a Chinese head unit. Yet I'm reasonably pleased with the result. And I tested all connections with a wire tester, so all should be ok. I tripple checked the connections on the LED Upper Display and verified the 5pin Molex connecter + CANBus cables that I pulled over from the dash kits universal harness. So fingers crossed when I get some free time I should be able to start running wires and install it in the car. And I really want to thank jcf6288 for his Upper display post it truly was a help making the harness. Post is here.

I took some shots of the harness to show how not so straight forward to join all these things together.

The Mazda Adapter Kit isolated:

And I'm also pretty close to having all parts set right on the unit and faceplate ready to be mounted. I opted to use velcro tape for the misc things I needed to connect to get it as close to the unit as possible but also removable if I need to make adjustments to it.

I hope my posts and images are found useful to others that want to embark on a project like this and help them make the right choices for their setup.
I'm curious about the LED you spliced. Is that to the screen above the vents? Is that so the screen can be used in conjunction with the head unit? Or are you only using the CANBus wires to intercept the info to be utilized by the head unit?

Also I'm worried that all the accessories you have velcroed to the unit might get pretty hot being mounted so close together

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm curious about the LED you spliced. Is that to the screen above the vents? Is that so the screen can be used in conjunction with the head unit? Or are you only using the CANBus wires to intercept the info to be utilized by the head unit?

Also I'm worried that all the accessories you have velcroed to the unit might get pretty hot being mounted so close together

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
The extra wirering is for the top display above the vents. And its to get the normal CANBus data to the display. The middle section of the display won't be able to do anything but show text as earlier in this thread. If you check http://forum.mazda6club.com/3481057-post37.html you should see the wiring connections but the Chinese units have no ability to push text to the top display, thats handled by the dash kit.

And I share you thoughts on the velcroed items I added to the unit. Once I get the car opened up there may be better places to put those devices, I'll not then. I'm not sure how hot this unit will get as its an Octocore CortexA53 1,5Ghz based unit, so the CPU is not maxed, but its pretty beefy on despite that. I recall an Odroid C2 board (CC sized mini computer) thats based on the Quad Core 2Ghz version of a similar CPU getting quite hot.. So this one may do the same, depending on what process was used at the factory to make this CPU. I hope it doesn't run too hot, and is one of the reasons I went for it over the new Atom based units that are currently coming onto the market.

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
An update on my progress.

Last weekend I was supposed to have everything installed, but the guy I bought the kit from couldn't find the correct brackets for the double din. So, as originally planned went forward with making my own. They worked out perfectly.

Got the headunit installed and working great. Very pleased with the final results!

I did not get this completed without running in to some problems though. When I first got the unit "ready" to be taken to the car I decided on a test fit first just to make sure the upper display would work, along with all the HVAC stuff and the 3 buttons below the headunit. All was well and everything worked as intended without issue so I unhooked everything as I still needed to do some wiring. Spent about an hour running the RCA/AUX/remote/GPS antenna/mic stuff through the car. My problems started when it was time to do the final hookup and install.

As soon as I plugged in the 5 pin molex connector all 4 lights on the center 3 buttons illuminated, even with no key in the ignition. These buttons are essentially "dead" and don't work at all. My upper display wasn't showing any of the HVAC information either. This came across as very strange to me as everything had worked on my test fit and now its suddenly not. In an earlier post on this same thread someone experienced this same issue and it's believed to be a bad board. I have managed to find an old ebay seller who may have some spare parts yet, so I'm waiting until tomorrow to hear back from them. I have also been told about a local shop that can very likely repair or rebuild the board for me so I have reached out to them as well in hopes of getting everything functional. I have lost the use of my rear defrost and HVAC display until I can get this sorted out.

I will be sure to post back as things progress.

·
Registered
32 Posts
An update on my progress.

My problems started when it was time to do the final hookup and install.

As soon as I plugged in the 5 pin molex connector all 4 lights on the center 3 buttons illuminated, even with no key in the ignition. These buttons are essentially "dead" and don't work at all. My upper display wasn't showing any of the HVAC information either. This came across as very strange to me as everything had worked on my test fit and now its suddenly not. In an earlier post on this same thread someone experienced this same issue and it's believed to be a bad board. I have managed to find an old ebay seller who may have some spare parts yet, so I'm waiting until tomorrow to hear back from them. I have also been told about a local shop that can very likely repair or rebuild the board for me so I have reached out to them as well in hopes of getting everything functional. I have lost the use of my rear defrost and HVAC display until I can get this sorted out.

I will be sure to post back as things progress.
The brackets and install look great.. The HVAC controls not so much. I hope I don't hit that issue when I mount mine. If I do I'll be keeping an eye out for your progress. I gather you ran the 10 wires from the harness to the top display as per the other post in this thread detailed for us? Thats how I made the wiring. So I hope that will just work. Also did you run the two pin wire with the CANBus connection to the HVAC control board? The 5 PIN molex shouldn't be enough.

EDIT: I'm thick and not paying attention. You did say it was working in the test install :facepalm:

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
The brackets and install look great.. The HVAC controls not so much. I hope I don't hit that issue when I mount mine. If I do I'll be keeping an eye out for your progress. I gather you ran the 10 wires from the harness to the top display as per the other post in this thread detailed for us? Thats how I made the wiring. So I hope that will just work. Also did you run the two pin wire with the CANBus connection to the HVAC control board? The 5 PIN molex shouldn't be enough.

EDIT: I'm thick and not paying attention. You did say it was working in the test install :facepalm:
Thanks. The brackets worked out well I think. Taking my time with them helped out Im sure.

Since my car is an 07 I didnt need to do any additional wiring to the upper display. Simply plugging in the 5 pin molex and the 2 for the CAN bus had the display fully operational.

I have found a seller on ebay with these same kits for about $200 CDN so I think Im going to just order a second one. Worst case I have to pay to repair this current board that isnt working and I can sell an operational spare kit for cheap. Had I known these kits could still be purchased I likely would have bought new in the first place.

I just really hope that its not a wiring issue on my end which causes the board on the kit Im ordering to go bad too. At least I could get a replacement though lol.

Well, time to hit ebay and order another dash kit!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks. The brackets worked out well I think. Taking my time with them helped out Im sure.

Since my car is an 07 I didnt need to do any additional wiring to the upper display. Simply plugging in the 5 pin molex and the 2 for the CAN bus had the display fully operational.

I have found a seller on ebay with these same kits for about $200 CDN so I think Im going to just order a second one. Worst case I have to pay to repair this current board that isnt working and I can sell an operational spare kit for cheap. Had I known these kits could still be purchased I likely would have bought new in the first place.

I just really hope that its not a wiring issue on my end which causes the board on the kit Im ordering to go bad too. At least I could get a replacement though lol.

Well, time to hit ebay and order another dash kit!
Interesting.. I have the 2007 GY (Station Wagon) model. Maybe I made those wires for nothing then. I guess when I get to the display and actually take out the radio I'll find out. Could have saved med a few hours of work there :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Almost last update

So I finally managed to get my unit put into the car..

TADA:

I have a few things I want to note on it.

1: For some reason I ordered the wrong steering wheel interface harness. The one I've gone with is a 2010 Mazda harness so the steering wheel control adapter is ofc not working because its connected incorrectly for my car. I'll need to reach out to those I bought it from and sort out wiring for that. Hopefully I can avoid getting a new harness kit.
2: I don't know why, but my defrost button doesn't work. On first startup it turned on the defrost and after it auto turned off I can no longer control it. Quite a bummer. Not sure if I would need a new board or if its just something cable related.

I'll need to have a think. But until then I'm going to enjoy that I can now listen/watch to Spotify, Plex, Youtube.

·
Registered
32 Posts
@Mr.Smoke, any chance you have info on what steering wheel control box your using? The Connect2 one I got as I posted in another thread didn't cut it.. Its for too new a car.

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
@Mr.Smoke, any chance you have info on what steering wheel control box your using? The Connect2 one I got as I posted in another thread didn't cut it.. Its for too new a car.
I have the ASWC-1 which is made by metra I believe. I had some troubles getting it to reset so it could reprogram and find my car/headunit. It was a used unit, so we believe the little box is faulty. It powers up, just wont reset as per their instructions. Everything is wired correctly, or at least I believe so anyways.

I see you are having issues with your defrost. Hopefully its something simple and you can get it sorted out without needing a new board. One thing I noticed is that fitting the auto climate to the boards is very tight. There isnt any room beteeen the upper board and the climate control box and it presses on the upper board. Its also very hard to get the climate control to snap in to the lower board.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the ASWC-1 which is made by metra I believe. I had some troubles getting it to reset so it could reprogram and find my car/headunit. It was a used unit, so we believe the little box is faulty. It powers up, just wont reset as per their instructions. Everything is wired correctly, or at least I believe so anyways.

I see you are having issues with your defrost. Hopefully its something simple and you can get it sorted out without needing a new board. One thing I noticed is that fitting the auto climate to the boards is very tight. There isnt any room beteeen the upper board and the climate control box and it presses on the upper board. Its also very hard to get the climate control to snap in to the lower board.
Pulled the trigger on the ASWC-1 now.. Should work better than this one :D Thought the defrost button bugs me. Also I can't select external ambient temp. So maybe there is a wire issue. Not sure yet, but I'll try and reset the climate controls thought I don't suspect they had that much to do with the button not working right.

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
Pulled the trigger on the ASWC-1 now.. Should work better than this one :D Thought the defrost button bugs me. Also I can't select external ambient temp. So maybe there is a wire issue. Not sure yet, but I'll try and reset the climate controls thought I don't suspect they had that much to do with the button not working right.
Does your HVAC display work? Properly showing what is going on with your heat/AC?

What exactly do you mean by "try reset the climate controls"?

Im guessing you used the 5 pin molex and the 2 pin on the back of the circuit board?

I really hope my replacement kit works without issue!

81 - 100 of 108 Posts