Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clutch in the 6 is a cable clutch and not a hydraulic clutch, is that right? I don't recall seeing a clutch cylinder under the hood of the one I checked out.

Can anyone tell me what are the advantages and disadvantages of a cable clutch system versus a hydraulic system?

My 02 Camry has a cable clutch as well; my 98 Accord, 99 Camry, 93 Prizm, and 81 Accord all had hydraulic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Replying to Topic '6 clutch'

I would be surprised if we had a cable clutch. Cars that I have owned built in the last ten years have all had hydraulic clutches. I have not seen a master cylinder for a hydraulic clutch under my hood, but have not looked specifically for one either. I have generally thought a hydraulic clutch is smoother to operate and take less pedal force that a direct actuated cable or push-rod clutch. I have looked under my dash of my 6S, and have seen that the clutch pedal has a bellows and a rod going into what looks to be a cylinder or sorts. If we do have a hydraulic clutch, there must be a reservoir somewhere under the hood.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Reading Topic: 6 clutch

Disadvantage of a cable system is when it snaps, you're screwed. :D

Had that happen one day in my Honda. No fun. That's when I learned, by accident, all about power shifting.

·
Registered
526 Posts

'Course - lose hydraulic pressure and the same thing happens, but the bill is bigger. :)

The advantages are similar to any cable vs. hydro comparison.

The cable itself adds a certain amount of friction and may require manual adjustment over time. But it's also a simpler method. It isn't far removed from cable actuated bicycle brakes or deraileurs. Less to fix if something goes wrong. You can also vary the take-up point to a degree by adjusting the cable - but this introduces slack and can also mean the the clutch doesn't completely dis-engage. You just need to be careful is all.

Hydraulics ensure that all of the force applied at the pedal is applied at the other end, plus they'll self-adjust similar to braking systems. They are more complex compared to a cable, but normally require less maintenance.

Also - with hydraulics, force multiplication doesn't add friction or mechanics. You could have some REALLY stiff springs in the clutch that would make a cable system rather impractical.

·
Registered
158 Posts

The owners manual says the clutch and brake system use the same resevoir. Keep an eye on your brake fluid lest you loose the ability to shift...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

In case anyone wants to look at the clutch assembly on their 6, here's a picture of the one in my '02 Camry. The small tube coming down from the right side, going across and up a little is the clutch cable tube. Anyone have anything like that on their 6?

Hmm... couldn't seem to upload the picture. Some OpenBB SQL error. Here's a link to the picture so you can take a look...

http://www.dreamhaven.org/~data/pics/clutch.jpg

·
Registered
315 Posts

Judging from the feel of the clutch, it's hydraulic as every other modern car on the road.
Are you sure it's not the shifter cable that you are wondering about, not the clutch?

Tome

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Originally posted by M-006

Judging from the feel of the clutch, it's hydraulic as every other modern car on the road.
Are you sure it's not the shifter cable that you are wondering about, not the clutch?

Tome[/b]
Yep, I'm sure. The manual makes no mention of anything having to do with the clutch/brake fluid either, unlike the M6's manual, so I'm reasonably sure it's a cable clutch (my Camry, that is). I've seen the shifter linkages, too, and they appear to be rods and not cables. So who knows... :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by future6owner

The small tube coming down from the right side, going across and up a little is the clutch cable tube.  [/b]
Nope, that is a hydraulic cluth. The thing with the rubber boot is the slave cylinder.

As for the 6.

This will be good IMHO. Will keep moisture out of the clutch cylinder fluid better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Originally posted by LBJay

The small tube coming down from the right side, going across and up a little is the clutch cable tube.  [/b]
Nope, that is a hydraulic cluth. The thing with the rubber boot is the slave cylinder.

[/b][/quote]

Hmmm, are you sure? I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything... :) But see the thing between the two rubber boots, the brownish thing? That's the part that moves when you press the clutch pedal. I thought the cable runs through the tube and then connects inside that semi-purplish thing to the part that moves. (Love my technical terminology, eh?) Is that purplish thingie the slave cylinder?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Hmmm, are you sure?  [/b]
Yes :D

[/b][/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up; you answered my question. And thanks for doctoring up my picture, too. :) Makes a lot more sense now! I had no idea that little tiny tube was a hydraulic tube....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Interesting... I just checked the manual for my '02 Camry again. They make no mention anywhere of the clutch using brake fluid, or making sure the brake fluid level is up, or anything. At least Mazda's manual spells it out for you! I wonder why Toyota made no mention of it...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I wonder why Toyota made no mention of it...[/b]
I would suspect because 90% of the people who buy a Camry probably never open the hood of the car to check anything.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I wonder why Toyota made no mention of it...[/b]
I would suspect because 90% of the people who buy a Camry probably never open the hood of the car to check anything.[/b][/quote]

Well, you still gotta check fluids... :) Though you're right, a lot of people who buy them probably don't check that either. They just take it to the dealer and let them do it. ;)

I'd bet part of it, too, is that probably 90-95% of Camrys sold are automatic, so they don't bother mentioning clutch-related stuff for the tiny handful of us who buy the manuals.

·
Registered
8 Posts

The stealership didn't have a manual on the lot when I went so I could not judge the clutch feel. I only hope it is not like most other manual cars these days with an abrupt clutch take up and next to no clutch "feel" at all. This is especially true in Jap cars.

My 90 ranger with the 5sp and 2.9L had the best clutch I have ever experienced, it was very liniar and had excellent feel. It was hydrolic as well but the only good one I had ever felt.

Bryan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts