48 Posts
Replying to Topic '6 and others'

Cooool, the Range Rover! :D

Nice photo, and good thinking ;) Too bad you haven't got alloy wheels

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

You know it's funny; now that I see the 6 side by side with the 626, I can see a much stronger resemblance between the two. The lines are very similar. They even have the same wheel covers! LOL :hoho Nice job Sigvard!

·
Registered
87 Posts

The 626s have different grills then their american counterparts. I wonder if the 6 will be slightly modified as well. We know the back lights will be all red and not Japanese style, so there's one difference.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Actually the style of lights are called Altezza's and they are european. You can always pick up altezza's for the 6 aftermarket if it is not available as an option or available at all. You can pick up altezza's for pretty much any car nowadays. I like the altezza lights, although some of my friend's don't like them...

·
Registered
87 Posts

Actually, the Altezza is a Toyota, which is a Japanese company. I have never seen any European car with those lights, but have seen several Japanese cars with them. The Altezza is known as the Lexus IS300 in America.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I know Altezza is a Toyota, a mid size car in the Toyota line. But everyone calls those kind of lights Altezza's. Maybe it was because that was the first car using them or whatever, don't know. But if you ask for Altezza lights, I'm sure the guy at the other side of the counter will show lights similar to the rear of those. Bah, what do I know.. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts

actually those lights are called "Eurotails" but most people refer to them as Altezza lights because they think the Toyota Altezza (Lexus IS 300) was the car that originated the lights.

I know what most of you people are thinking. Euro tails are suppose to be like the BMW M3 tails where there's red and white but like i stated above, those tails on the 6 are called Eurotails. I heard a really old Ferrari used to use these lights but later they abandoned the lights and then Toyota adopted them.

if you people don't believe me, go to the American Products Company website and check it out. APC makes these Eurotails and they call them Eurotails.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Hello people!

I ordered a new Mazda6 hatch in the beginning of july. Won't get it until october, though. I ordered it in what was called "Silver contrail" color. But I didn't get to see that color in real life, so to say. Only color samples.

Anyone has any pics of that (Is Sigvards 6 that color?)

Also: anyone has any pics of the rear interior of the hatch? Can't seem to find any...

Thanx.

Steve
(soon to be a 6-owner).:D [glow tcolor=red, fcolor=black, size=2, strength=3] Yippie![/glow]

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Originally posted by Steve 6er

I ordered a new Mazda6 hatch in the beginning of july. Won't get it until october, though. I ordered it in what was called "Silver contrail" color. But I didn't get to see that color in real life, so to say. Only color samples.

Anyone has any pics of that (Is Sigvards 6 that color?)[/b]
Yes, that's Silver Contrail all right. When I bought the car I also had a "blind date" experience in regards to the body color, but now I'm happy 'cos it's one of the few colors that look good with clear taillights.
However there's one thing that really pisses me off. Evidently, the painting technology depends on the surface painted which leads to the problem in question. The metallic paint looks somewhat different on 6's massive plastic bumpers and metal body. This is especially visible where the rear bumper adjoins the side of the body. I've pointed it out to several people and they all said that they would'nt noticed it if I had'nt mentioned it.
I've observed other cars and it seems to be the same (but less of a problem with darker metallic paints); so I'm ok with that, but at first I even suspected the dealership of selling me a smashed-up car with replaced rear bumper.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Evidently, the painting technology depends on the surface painted which leads to the problem in question.[/b]
As far as I understand, this is a matter not of painting tech, but rather of the surface's ability to reflect light. A very smooth surface reflects more light, and a rougher surface less - hence it seems darker painted.

The first time I noticed this was painting a house (!). The rough panel wood became much darker than the smoother wood used in the finer carpentry. Using the same color! That's how I found this out.

The plastic on the bumper has a rougher surface that reflects less light, that's why it seems darker. When using darker colors this becomes less apparent due to the logarithmic approach of men's eyes.

My present 626 is in a very dark blue metallic, and it is hardly noticeable but the difference is still there. Especially in strong sunlight.

Good to hear anyway that your car is Silver Contrail. It looks great!!!

Steve

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

As far as I understand, this is a matter not of painting tech, but rather of the surface's ability to reflect light. A very smooth surface reflects more light, and a rougher surface less - hence it seems darker painted.

The plastic on the bumper has a rougher surface that reflects less light, that's why it seems darker. When using darker colors this becomes less apparent due to the logarithmic approach of men's eyes.

Steve[/b]
I totally agree that the reflections depend on the roughness of the surface and that is in fact the reason for the problem. However, in this case when you look closely at the surfaces in question, you see that it has nothing to do with roughness of the plastic but rather the roughness of the metallic paint itself (I mean the actual paint layer beneath the clearcoat). The paint is actually smoother on the plastic (!). My best quess is that they use electrostatic painting on the metal parts and conventional spray painting on plastic - hence the difference in roughness of the paint layer. And the bumpers do not always seem darker (or lighter). It is dependent on the lighting conditions and the angle at which you look at the car (compare the pictures above and photos of the same car in "Rims issue" topic).

Anyway, the Silver Contrail is a fascinating color. Being quite neutral by itself it reacts to the ambient light creating subtle hues from the surroundings. It took me several days to figure out if it was light blue, grey, or greenish. To avoid being diagnosed colorblind, I've just given up guessing ;).

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

My best quess is that they use electrostatic painting on the metal parts and conventional spray painting on plastic[/b]
You are probably right about that part. Cars are nowadays being electrostaticly painted. Which is a good thing since it gives a smooth paintjob all over. Although the paint gets thinner in corners and inside angles etc. making it more fragile when polishing. My car dealer told me he had a couple of cars (new!) destroyed by Tidy Car because they polished all the way through the paint in some corners. <g>

Anyway, you're right about the subtle effects from the contrail color. I really enjoyed your night shots from rear and front. The reason I chose Silver contrail was that I know how hard it is to maintain a dark metallic and keep it nice over a few years. Silver is much better, small scratches in the clear paint doesn't show so much.

If it had been available in Sweden, I would have chosen the Sparkling silver though as my primary choice, but it wasn't available here.

Anyway, I chose the 2.0 hatch. Your engine?

/Steve

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Anyway, I chose the 2.0 hatch. Your engine?[/b]
I have 1,8 (120hp). Would have prefered the 2,0 for obvious reasons: price +3%, fuel consumption +2%, hp +17%, torque +10%. Simple mathematics ;) But I needed the car right away and could not wait for two or three months. It was either that or something like new Primera, Laguna or Mondeo. No regrets though. The 1,8 is completely adequate and should I need more power, I'll go for the 2,3 AWD wagon in december.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Glad to hear you're satisfied with the 1.8. As far as I can understand all of the 1.8, 2.0 and 2.3 are actually the same engine, basically, with only different cylinder volume. Plus ofcourse some extra refinement on the 2.3 (balance shaft among other things).

If I had wanted to have the car directly, I would have had to choose the 1.8 also, but we needed a 5d version to be able to load the perambulator (we're gonna have a kid later this fall).

/Steve

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

Congrats on becoming a father Steve!  Is this your first?[/b]
Thanks. Yes, it is our first. It's exciting as [fill in the blank], and I'm really enjoying the ride. I'm 35 and think it was about time. My wife is six years younger, but she's not getting any younger either. Strange thing.

And you - do you have the pleasure of hearing children cry when you'd rather sleep? :D

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

No, none for me. Probably won't be either, at least for the foreseeable future. My girlfriend and I really enjoy our DINK (Dual Income, No Kids) lifestyle. We do have two cats and a dog, and we love them dearly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts