Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
CP-E catless DP + slightly drilled O2 hole + soddered in screen + 4,500 miles = No CEL

Just FYI.

It's bound to burn outa there eventually, but I'll just sodder a new one in.

No cutting sensor wires (for those fearfull of the dealership).

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
LOL, that's the one. Drill out the hole a little, and sodder in the faucet screen. It vaugely simulates a cat for just the 2nd O2 sensor. It worked on my Evo for a long time as well, but eventually it burned through and I had to do it again. I would like to use platinum mesh (like a real cat) so it won't burn up, but I don't feel like destroying my cat to get it.

If anyone has a spare cat sitting around from a past vehicle or something, you could tear it apart and sell small 3/4" circles out of the numberous screens for $5 or so and make a little extra scratch. I would test how many would be neccessary per order.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
In CP-E's DP, there is an extended 2nd O2 bung with a small hole to allow a restricted amount of exhaust gas to reach the sensor. This was their attempt to fix the CEL, which eventually fails (80-160 miles). The hole is too small and you get a MIL for the 2nd O2 sensor not seeing enough exhaust gas to take it's readings. You have to drill that hole out a little more, then sodder the screen(s) over that. Then, plug the O2 sensor back in and go. No more CEL or MIL, and no cutting/splicing wires.

If CP-E ever gets around to toying around with this, it will come standard on their catless DP. They are little busy at the moment though trying to keep the evil customers happy. :D

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Or they could leave it with the extention, and weld/sodder in a couple disks of platinum mesh to simulate a cat for only the 2nd O2 sensor. Then their unit wouldn't require cutting any stock wires, so you wouldn't get a weird question if you have to take it in. I'm sure it would be a little more expensive for them, but I think it would pay off in the long run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.