Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats how far your music can travel when your bumpin down the street. I just found this out. Im sure alot of your already knew that, but im a newb. I just pulled up in front of a Starbucks, in downtown Davis. As im getting out i notice a cop sitting literally right next to my car at the little out-door seats. He is staring at me.

I come back out with the drinks for me and my gf, and i hear the cop say "50 feet." I kinda pause, getting in the car. I look at him and say "What?" He replies again with.. "50 feet." I just kinda sit, like "wtf?" So i say "Uh...ok?" Then he explains that my music cant be heard more than 50 feet from the car past 10pm. So i just laugh, and say "oh ok, sorry." And start to get in... then i say "Its stock... i didnt even realise. Btw, how far is 50 feet?" To witch he replied "Well, definetely to that street corner, and i totally heard you from there."

So yah, guess i dont need to upgrade my sound system. And its not the Bose, its just the stock system that came with my 6 disc CD changer, in my 04 M6. 50 ft... i totally didnt know that.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
............ i think he is just trying to scare u !! lol... never heard of that regulation b4

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
most states/localities have laws/ordances on sound levels. they are typically defined as a decible level at a given distance & speed. check your state/city laws for specifics.

·
Registered
335 Posts
yesir. yea i have heard there are restrictions on how loud we can blast our music. aka decible levels. but usually there is little enforcement on them.

but seeing the cop had the time to tell you about it. or maybe he didnt like the music you were playing? haha.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Pretty cool that he pointed it out to you and didn't ticket you for it. That's more than the city/town cops in this area would do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Davis is known for its crazy sound ordinance. Years ago, a woman was ticketed for snoring too loudly! (why oh why can't I find a link!) She was in an apartment and her neighbor complained. The neighbor had even put a mattress up against the wall to muffle the sound and the snoring could still be heard! As I recall, all charges were eventually dropped.

·
Registered
418 Posts
ive heard of the law and i got a 50$ ticket when i had my jeep.... the thing about not upgrading becuase it can be heard from 50 is kinda odd.... any factory system can be heard from 50ft, (the highs that is)..

what u should of done is parked right beside the cop (closer than 50ft) and blast your music as loud as possible because he cant get u because hes closer than 50 ft

·
Registered
805 Posts
Portland enforces the 50 ft rule. They are so bad about it that they can "impound" your entire sound system if you are a repeat violator (or first offence if the cop is having a bad day)

*at least this is what a Portland Police Dept. Officer told me one evening a couple years ago*

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Down here in Miami the law is 25 ft. I got stopped for having my system too loud once. The cop told me that he heard me down the block, and I was like sweet! :) lol. He let me off with a verbal warning.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
In coronado, CA (a small peninsula of san diego) if you have subs and an aftermarket stereo, they just confiscate it and then sell it at auction. I picked up a sweet set of JL 12w6v2's for $190 for the pair

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
you don't get that much here in Texas unless the cop wants to be an ass or a complaint is called in on you.

damn, that sucks to hear that about San Diego, cause i :love: my system and don't know what i would do if it was comfiscated, cause i play that stuff loud. i'm livin' loud!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
14 Participants
pololance6i
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing