Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , I thought I'd share the fruits of my labor of the past several week-ends . Been so busy that I had to back-off these last two 'cause the girlfreind was starting to get jealous of my 6 heheh ! It all started with the calipers that has now become a STICKY .

Then I got the courage to gut out my fenders to install my BMW fender flashers . They had been bought since April ! LOL Ordered me some GB MAZDASPEED springs (fought with UPS daily for a misunderstanding over a bad condition delivery - long story) and had those installed another w-end .... the next day had my 5 Star Shine.com paint protection sealer installed ; just there t'was 14 hours of labor with the removing of scratches/polishing , washing at least 6-7 times + the steps of application of the sealer ! Meanwhile during the week got me some stickers conceived and on another w-end applied them , accompanied by some NiteShades on the front markers .

Here are my 2005 BMW 330 Ci (coupes only) LED Fender Flashers . I fabricated my own pattern with a muti-step pic session included in case anyone wnated me to do a write-up . I left the cutting to a buddy of mine who has a custom shop and who's done 100's of these jobs ; but was actually his first with this kind of difficult rear box pattern (usually they are circular - see pics) aside from the fact too that the box reaches close to the edge within 4mm . Ever since I laid my eyes on these babies w/passing Bimmers ; I knew I had to get'em badly , despite their co$t ! But ya know , when you want something bad ; NOTHING is too expensive ! I find them a safety factor besides their awesome good looks it gives the 6 .

The actual BIMMERS at the BMW dealer I got them from
Here's the rear box of the flasher
See here the commonly found on 4-door BMW 3 & 5 series flashers
and a dealer lot 330 Ci flashers below ; mucho better as they are LEDs , the housing is slimmer and the shape sublime !

Here's 2 pics below of my 6 before the flashers , MS springs drop , stickered , NiteShaded , and sealed ... to get an idea of what kind of gap I had here's the front gap and the rear gap .... the stock & MS spring side by side ... and my freind's spring compressor

and below after one week I had two fingers and a half - front , two rear

Close-up of the front/rear gap w/flasher and NighShades
I like the effect of the Nightshades hiding my Amber marker and how the chromed headlight gets ALL the attention + the shape of it marries well with the Bimmer Flasher - kinda the same shape at the tips - facing upwards

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Damn dude that alot of work for 1 week but looks amazing. If you got any of that nightshade left id recomend putting 1-2 coats on your tail lights to make it blend in better. Great job tho on everything

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are a few more pics of the NightShades effect (7 coats) that matches well with the Onyx and doesn't show until 3-4 feet away for those who know about it .... it lights red at night with the circumference amber - the surface only was coated and not the inner edge part that goes in the fender

I just like how the BMW flashers & the headlamp housing match with both tips pointing upwards thanks to the effect of the NightShades hiding the sidemarker ; they get all the attention as I had visioned it ;)

Closer and even closer

Overall Facing Side Shot

Reflective Red Sticker shots :
MAZDASPEED on the skirts Close-Up

Custom-made 6Club w/identification under heheh ... depending on the angle taken ; the color varies : here it's more red and here reflecting off the flash of the camera (in this last sub-pic - it was taken right after the springs were installed - springs hadn't settled and I hadn't put the skirt stickers on yet)

ZOOM ZOOM + sitting in car angle SHOT

As a bonus while at the sticker shop I had them make one for my tape delete that I got tired of seeing too blank - now I'm reminded that I ZOOM ZOOM + the fact that the one on the rear back-glass reads straight-forward as well when viewed in the rear-view mirror COOL !

Overall I'm very pleased and I'll post some close-up shots soon in the Show & Shine of the 5 Star Shine Paint Protection Sealer with the link (NOW HERE) .... BTW the car was washed the day before , before I finished it started raining :swearin: drove away from my father-in-laws house 2 kilometers in the rain to my house .... the next day all I did (for the photo-shoot) was shine the tires that I didn't have time to finish , why ? , 'cause the paint was still flawless : Amen 5StarShine !!!!
I know I like it ... better than the naked / bland Onyx of before ... oh , and your opinions guys are welcomed :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Holy jesus that's an awesome wash job!! I think your 6 wins for the shiniest Onyx I've ever seen! So you just did a regular wash and then this 5starshine stuff? No Wax? Dd you usea porter cable or did it all by hand?

Nice drop and caliper painting...looks like you are ready for some new wheels! :D I'm not fond of the stickers but if you like it then that's what's important.

The bimmer flashers are unique. You must really like them to go through all that work.

Congrats on all the hard work! It's always good to see Onyx 6-es representing...black is definitely the best color. ;)

·
Registered
378 Posts
I really like the red on the black, I think I may have to do the same!

To save me time on searching, where did you get the Mazdaspeed sticker?

(It'll match really nice to the Speed TC World-Challenge banner I'll have on my windshield!)

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
+100000000 for a super clean car! And the chrome OEM rims looks great with that drop.

How did you cut into the fender?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Nice and clean, but can't say I like the stickers.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
nice car. U can prolly check out pics at the end of this week of mine, ive had my car for a month and a half now. Im postin pics this week!

·
Registered
444 Posts
thats what i was thinking too. hey im in the montreal area too.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thx to all your comments ; positive and negative ... that's cool on your parts and appreciated on my side :)

Holy jesus that's an awesome wash job!! I think your 6 wins for the shiniest Onyx I've ever seen! So you just did a regular wash and then this 5starshine stuff? No Wax? Dd you usea porter cable or did it all by hand?

Nice drop and caliper painting...looks like you are ready for some new wheels! :D I'm not fond of the stickers but if you like it then that's what's important.

The bimmer flashers are unique. You must really like them to go through all that work.

Congrats on all the hard work! It's always good to see Onyx 6-es representing...black is definitely the best color. ;)

[/b]
2poor4MS6 , You're my consistent , loyal approver ;
you represent just as well Bud ... thx so much man for your very nice comments as usual .... gotta love guys who drive Onyx !!! Naa it was more than just a wash ; it was back breaking work with pain in all my members from lack of feeding myself with food and too much feeding on passion and devotion ! Started with a complete wash , then spotting all imperfections (scratches , chips , etc.) buffing 'em out with Porter Cable , washing , more buffing (ever so missing a spot) , washing , again .... then Clay Bar everywhere , wash again ... then started applying the first step of 5 Star Shine with a sponge and warm water (yes again a wet massage of the 6 !) let it dry 10-15 minutes , then rinse the whole car off with just pressured water .... oh I forgot gotta dry it too all those wet times ! ..... finally took a supper break .... then applied Step 2 like you would do a wax ahhhhh !! T'was by now past 2AM ; got at my buddy's shop around noon ! and the stuff was applied by hand
This is a paint sealer based with PTFE (slippery like Teflon frying pans) www.5starshine.com and shields the car as its main priority so claybarring and making sure the paint is perfect is mandatory . This paint protection product is the only one with a Patent from the Gov. and independent laboratory proven to last 5 years of washing ... even the U.S. Navy Marines have their own private Order # listed on the site ; they use it to protect their Aegis Radars from the marine (sea) salt ..... the beauty of this product is that everything just slips off with just a hose off !!! I encourage anyone to stop being skeptical (don't worry I am THE worst !) and go ahead and read every & all you can (including Clickys) on their site - prepare a good hour to do so too .
I really like the red on the black, I think I may have to do the same!

To save me time on searching, where did you get the Mazdaspeed sticker?

(It'll match really nice to the Speed TC World-Challenge banner I'll have on my windshield!)

[/b]
I like the Red on Black too ever since ; it gives it balance + less bland but not too much in your face as well .
All you need to do is go to a good sticker shop and they will have the logo already in their computers and you just tell 'em what size you want it and in what type of vinyl . Mine are Reflective (it's actually metal inside) red stickers that shine upon any kind of light source on them ! This makes it so hard to get taken a proper picture of them here 'cause of that as they always emit a diff. shade of red ; that is why I included one more Clicky Pic of it .
sweet looking ride you got there, great job on all that work.... the MS springs make such a difference...

the red and black theme is hot, and props for being different and adding those BMW fender lights...

[/b]
You bet ! You can tell to some extent when you look at the car sitting there .... but it was when I went to the Mazda Dealer for my alignment 3 weeks later , that I fell in love with it when I saw the Suspension Tech driving my 6 in ! Seeing her in motion , just blew me away ; it was looking sweet & low
heheh ..... what's even better is that I got a free alignment from the dealer under warranty :nana: under the false pretense (for the clerk only -not the freindly Tech) that it was pulling to one side - on board-straight roads ;) This warranty ADJUSTMENTS only applies to less than 20K KMS or 12 months
and I'm not even sure alignments are part of it - but I have convincing powers

Ya ! for the red and black theme and even the headlights with the BMW Flashers is like the Ying-Yang
of balance .... It does look different from every other 6 now , but that's only part of the reason it was done . Mainly it's because ever since I saw those on Bimmers ; I melted in awe .... then when I pictured them on the 6 ; I was sold in every way ! I know of this other member here who I saw only one posting of his since I'm here , that has BMW 740s fender flashers ; these look sorta like them 3 & 5 series (4-doors) like I pictured in the Clicky (#1 post) ... but only longer .
+100000000 for a super clean car! And the chrome OEM rims looks great with that drop.

How did you cut into the fender?

[/b]
Ya , you remind me when I first put those Chromies on ! Man , I thought my mags had shrunk - 'cause of the Chrome-effect :( .... then the wheel gap was killing me even more , nonetheless my last two cars have had lowered suspensions ; so it was a must . Gotta say it rides sooo smooooth ; I'm astonished literally ! No thumps on bumps ... ya but my shocks are only 9,600 kms ; so that helps .. but still , as we know ; the MS springs are conceived with them in mind .. so .... like Iluv2zmzm says it best

As for the cutting part I left it to my professional buddy at his shop being the fact he's done a lot of this shit ... he used a Carbon disc on Dremel Grinder tool thingy .
Nice... Looks like mine did when I first started.
[/b]
Ya I see you have the MS stickers too (it seems from the pic) in smaller size ? One thing I was going to do wrong with my ZOOM ZOOM on the back glass ; was to put it at the top part , but the sticker guy made me a good pointer-comment when he told me that : ''stickers should always be put on at their lowest point possible on a car ... that way the car looks LOW as it should '' .... I do agree with him now as it was a great move to do so and it looks less cheesy add-on / tacky that way ; it's more subtle . I can say the same for the MS stickers ; it makes the car look lowered even more now , and does attract attention that there is a skirt there - a nice one at that too - which without a sticker and the fact that it's all black ; leaves out details of the outlines in the body sometimes .....

As for the others sounding like a broken record (joke)
..... ya I was hesitant with the stickers at first thought also ; didn't want to make it look ricey lookin' .... but I decided to go ahead (worst case I could take'em off later) with strategically placing'em ; turns out I LIKE'EM A LOT and you would too in person + it's not like the whole skirt is crowded in them ... just the right balance 'cause too much of a good thing is not good ;) Like I mentioned above ; the red brings it what it was missing to it ; the right way :yesnod:
Your comments all still have positive in them , nonetheless both ways ; they are appreciated ! Merci Buckets !!!

My suggestion...
[/b]
Lookin' at your pic tells me that if my car were to stay this way with just the triangle window 6Club sticker ; it would make it look unbalanced - making it seem sitting high by itself . The MS sticker on the skirt dominates by making the car look sitting LOW - the way it should , baby !

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry kinda skipped answering you guys ; I try my best to answer all .

Damn dude that alot of work for 1 week but looks amazing. If you got any of that nightshade left id recomend putting 1-2 coats on your tail lights to make it blend in better. Great job tho on everything
[/b]
Thx man . Actually several weeks as stated Hockyguy .... as for the NightShades it's still half full , and a long time ago I had thought about doing'em tail lights like @ two light coats ; guess I would have to clear'em though 'cause the finish is kinda gritty/rough as I found out on the markers , but these I'll leave'em like that .
6 Pack, it looks VERY nice! Congrats. Are you going to remove the Mazda 6 emblem?

TraderStav, can you post a pic of the banner you added to the windshield?
[/b]
Merci Buckets MS6GT . Nope the badge stays ; I like it ! Was suppose to put on my GT badge to complement the right side with this photo-shoot but I encountered lack of dryness with the Acrylic transparent red paint over the chromed spray .
The height is the same as the M A Z D A emblem too :)
I might end up having to clear spray over the Acrylic (model paint) as it seems easily proned to scuffing .

sprayed chrome from DupliColor (had started applying the red when I realized I hadn't taken a pic of it yet )

5 coats of transparent red Acrylic from Tamiya model paint
(wonder if I clear spray Enamel Engine Paint over it , it won't react !???)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts