Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Canadians, I'm new to the site as well. I am seriously considering a Mazda6, based on the great reviews I have read and the great looks (sorry Honda, but Mazda's got you beat in that department!). I was wondering, those of you who have already ordered or are driving your 6, is the performance difference huge between the 4 and 6? I'm aware of the obvious (160 vs. 220) but does it justify the extra initial cost and higher fuel consumption on the V6? I would be getting the manual tranny in either one. I will eventually drive both, but just wanted a heads up for now. Any opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Reading Topic: 4cyl or V6?

If you are getting a manual then I would say get a 4cyl. You save on the price difference and also will not burn a whole in your pants with fuel price especially with the current soaring of fuel price.

I tried both engine but with an automatic because I have to get an automatic. It is just for ease of use for others close to me to use. I refuse to try a manual because I will just hate myself not getting a manual. But with an auto and 4cyl, the car does display lots of lag off the line. This is driving in the middle of winter with not using any A/C. I can just imaging how bad it is driving around town with the A/C on full blast and trying to overtake.

The 4cyl is quite powerful and you will not miss getting a 6cyl if you get the manual.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Replying to Topic '4cyl or V6?'

I've recently test driven both the 4cyl manual and an automatic V6. I have not been able to get behind the wheel of a manual V6. Do not try the V6 if you want to keep your costs down. Once you've tried it there is no way you would settle for a I4. There is a substantial difference between the two. It is particularly noticeable accelerating

·
Registered
628 Posts

(US Guy seeping in here)

I agree totally, If you want to keep your costs down, don't even drive the v6. I drove both 5sp's back to back i4 first then the v6, and man oh man. The 4 was sufficient, but the 6 was weeeeeeeeeee

...just my US$0.02 (that is $0.0303019 CAD) :D

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Bah. Go with the 4 and if you find it lacking. Later on then I/H/E and turbo the bitch. Although I'd like to see a supercharger for this. I'm thinking the spool and lag in a turbo may be a negative for this car in the AutoX. Supercharger doesn't have any spool or lag times. But I'm just saying this without any proof as one isn't made for this car. Just going with popular opinion. :D

To me the exact same options are available with the 4. The only thing different is the size of the engine [and of course the extra gear that goes with it]. Which you can always make more powerful later, when you have more cash to spend in bits on that.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Kincaid, the extra gear for the V6 is actually on applies to the automatic. All the manual shifters are 5 speed. The I4 comes with an auto 4 speed while the V6 gets a 5 speed auto.

But the 5 speed auto on the V6 is no where as nice to lauch as the manual since the gear on the auto was design to work with the torque converter. We all know how torque converter will rob HP.

·
Registered
16 Posts

I've test driven the 4cyl auto. I have to get an auto box because of my wife :(

Off the line the car is bit slow. But once it gets going the pick up is quite descent. High way speed is no problem, too. Going at 120 km/h on the 407 (seems to be the minimum speed on the ETR) is quite comfortable.

The way I see it, I am saving the money on the 4 cyl for
- better gas consumption (see what happened in the last 2 weeks)
- saving up money for the RX-8 :D

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hi guys my first post here. Been thinking of getting a 6 for next year so started to do some research. According to Car & Driver magazine (december 2002, february 2003) the 4cyl actually performed better on the roadholding test with 0.86g to the v6's 0.84g. The 4cyl also stopped shorter from 70-0mph than the v6 with 169ft to 183ft. Just a few more points to ponder.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Makes sense due to less weight and more even distribution on what IS there. A little over 200 pounds I think. That and the slight torque increase over the V6 at lower revs. The difference is really negligible with regards handling between the 4 and 6. I mean .02g's really isn't going to make or break it for me.

·
Registered
980 Posts

I really wanted the V6 originally as well but the I4 makes better economical sense for me. First of all, I would save a few thousand dollars on the car itself and plus I would save just as much money from gas.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Yep, don't drive the V6 if you want the 4. I had every intention of buying a 4-cylinder, but I took the V6 for a test drive. Mistake. I'm buying the V6. :)

As for mileage, keep in mind that the biggest gains are on the manual transmission. With the automatic V6, the highway mileage is only 2 mpg worse than the 4.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Replying to Topic '4cyl or V6?'

Thanks for the replies guys! I went to the Toronto Auto Show last week and spent a lot of time at the Mazda display checking out the '6'. One of the sales guys I talked to there (from Oakville Mazda) actually recommended the I4 with the 5spd as the best bang for the buck. He also expressed some concern for the Ford designed V6, although that was probably just personal opinion. I'm planning on going down for a test drive soon, and I'll post the reports back here. I was told they have both a 4 and 6 manual on hand to drive.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

I would warn you. Once you drive the V6 you'll never be happy with the 4 cylinder.

I testdrove a Corvette Z06 once and it was a bad idea. It was damned awesome but having to come back and get in my Mazda Protege was somehow unfulfilling. A little extreme example but it makes the point.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: 4cyl or V6?

i got the 4 auto (sonic blue, just amazing!!); i can tell, from 0 km/h, it's not quite impressive, as i tried de 6 auto too, i can tell, if performance is what you want but with a decent price, take it manual... even with a 6, the auto transmission is boring in accel... it's no big deal, an auto trans. will never be as good as an manual one with same hp...

i raced my friend with his protege5 man. and he won on short distance, but on longer ones, muhahaha! the mazda6 is quite good in turns...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts