Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so up until now I have basically been servicing my own car (oil changes, air filter changes, cabin air filter, etc..) but my 48K service is coming up, and its description seems to be a little more work than usual. I emailed Kieswetter Mazda and asked what exactly it entailed, and got the following reply.

Code Description of Included Services
00001R Replace Engine Oil
00002L Lubricate All Hinges, Latches and Door Locks
00003R Replace Engine Oil Filter
00004L Lubricate Brake Caliper Slide Rails
00005T Tighten Body and Chassis Mounting Nuts and Bolts
00006M Rotate Tires
00008M Pressure Test Cooling System

0021IN Inspect Brake Lines, Hoses and Connections
0028IN Inspect Disc Brakes
0030IN Inspect Drive Axle Boots
0032IN Inspect Drive Belt(s)
0039IN Inspect Engine Cooling System
0046IN Inspect Exhaust System and Heat Shields
0050IN Inspect Fuel Line and Hoses
0059IN Inspect Power Steering Fluid Level
0069IN Inspect Suspension Ball Joints
0071IN Inspect Steering Operation and Linkage
0073IN Inspect Suspension Components
0079IN Inspect Tires and Adjust Air Pressures, Including Spare Tire
0089IN Inspect Axles
0110IN Inspect Brake Fluid Level
0111IN Inspect Clutch Fluid Level
0113IN Inspect Engine Coolant Level
0123IN Inspect Window Washer Fluid Level
0125IN Inspect Function of All Lights

I was quoted at 205.29. So i have a couple of questions..

1) From the people who have had this done, is this price about right?
2) I just changed my oil at 44000... I don't need another change so soon, especially cuz it's syn, so would they knock this off and lower the price?
3) Kinda ties into #2, is this even worth it without the oil change? Basically i'm worried about the caliper rails, tightening the chassis mounting, and pressure testing the cooling system. Do they actually do this, or do they just put it on there to charge more money?

The reasons I am are I have a constant faint squeeling noise in the engine (probably some belt, i haven't really looked into it, hear it while doing some drive-thru banking.) and i hear some thumps in the rear of my car when i brake to a full stop and sit there for a couple seconds, kinda sounds like something is settling into place.

Also, my brakes are gonna need some service, so I should probably get the whole she-bang done while the car is there. Or shoudl i?

Sorry for the long post..

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
i did all my service from the dealer

if something happens to your car and it needs work, they can say "well you didnt have it serviced regularly by a licenced mechanic, your warranty is void"

i'd cough it up

i just paid over $300 for my 96,000 service...i'm gonna do one more and then i'll do them myself

·
Registered
682 Posts
The only things I would be really keen on having done are the items you have highlighted in bold.

I often wonder what an "Inspection" of something actually entails...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i did all my service from the dealer

if something happens to your car and it needs work, they can say "well you didnt have it serviced regularly by a licenced mechanic, your warranty is void"
i'd cough it up

i just paid over $300 for my 96,000 service...i'm gonna do one more and then i'll do them myself
[/b]
Sorry, i should have been more specific.. I understand the warranty perspective, but my warranty period will be over in about a month, so I'm not really concerned about warranty issues at this point. I meant more if those highlighted items should actually be done, or if it's something that they tack on so they have reasoning to tack on extra dough.

I often wonder what an "Inspection" of something actually entails...[/b]
Me too :D I also wonder if it actually gets done as well.

Yes, I'm a bit cynical when it comes to dealership work...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
It's stupid. They didn't do anything extraordinary from a regular oil change when I had mine done.. It took just as long as a regular oil change too.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I too got ripped off $40 for some BS 86,000 km service ... and took no longer than an oil change ...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thread ressurection!

So I held off on the service till I was up to about 50k, and did it then (yesterday).

Nothing special, I brought my own syn oil in which dropped the price a bit, they were cool about that, which is good. No real complaints about the service but the price.

They said my front pads have 2mm left till the indicator, and that my tires are due for a change soon as well, both of which I pretty much knew.

The only other thing is they updated the software in my car. The idle was bouncing when I was coasting in neutral as i left the dealership, but it seemed ok later on last night, and today as well, I guess it was just calibrating the fuel trims or something..

Other than that, I could have done everything myself. The feels the same, they found nothing wrong, so i guess it's some sort of "piece of mind".

I wouldn't reccommend it unless you are worried about warranty or giving ur car back after a lease or something and can do these things yourself. I could have called them up about the update, and that was done under the warranty.

Oh well... time to drop some cash on winter tires and brakes before it gets too cold.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just had the 48K service done on my car. I just did it in case they refuse warranty work in the future... but man I feel ripped off. I'm not even sure if they did anything more than an oil change and tire rotation. For instance, I didn't get a brake pad wear analysis. Another item on the schedule is to inspect tire pressure and adjust, including spare.. well, I can tell that they didn't even bother opening up my trunk floor to get to the spare... no lube on the doors either. The only obvious thing they did as far as I can tell is top-up the washer fluid. Who knows if the other inspections are even done, other than a quick 10 second eye job. So basically I paid $200 for an oil change, tire rotation, and washer fluid top-up. I've complained, let's see if anything will be done. Anyone else feel ripped off?

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Then your dealer is not doing a proper job.

I've had all of my services done at Avante and for the larger services like the 48,000km, I had to leave the car with them all day. Afterwards I got back a list of things the mechanic noted and things that were changed under warranty as a precaution.

If you aren't happy with your dealerships service tell Mazda Canada and change dealerships.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Damn, the mechanic actually gives you a list of noted items AND even changes things under warranty as a precaution? WOW. That's what I call service! Does Avante give you a rental too? I work at Miss/401.. a bit of a drive.. which is why I tend to take it to the closer Mazda dealerships that offer shuttles to work, but heck I'd rather have the job done properly.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Then your dealer is on doing a proper job.

I've had all of my services done at Avante and for the larger services like the 48,000km, I had to leave the car with them all day. Afterwards I got back a list of things the mechanic noted and things that were changed under warranty as a precaution.

If you aren't happy with your dealerships service tell Mazda Canada and change dealerships.
[/b]
wow thats one crazy ass dealership ... i wish we had one like that here in ottawa ..

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
yea they are not open weekends for service anymore so they are open late after work till like 8pm or something 3 nights a week.

plus we get 20% off parts (dont know if you get it off the service, i never bothered asking)

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Only Mazda of Toronto has a discount on labour and parts.

I'm thinking about scheduling a meeting with the owner of Avante to see if he will match that. At least that's what the sales guys told me to do. I've been considering it but I don't know how I can make it up to Avante since nothing is free, and they really don't have to give us any discount at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not sure if I'll ever go to Avante again, my wife just took our 6 wagon in for servicing (about 50k kms on it). Their inspection suggested we change the brake pads AND rotors, the tranny fluid and brake fluid. Give me a freakin break, there's no way in hell a 2yr old car with 50k kms on it needs to have the brake fluid changed, transmission fluid should also be good for at least 60-70k. Brake pads maybe but no way it needs new rotors already. I find it funny that in some of the other threads I've read, the dealership has recommended brake pad changes because "there's about 2mm left", how is it everyone is taking their cars in for servicing with exactly the same amount left on their pads? I think they saw a women walk in by herself and the dollar signs went off in their eyes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts