Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking my car in for an oil change at 40k miles. I have been noticing a hesitation with braking. The brake pads have not been replaced so i am going to assume that is one thing. The car also seems to struggle to accelerate after stops lately.

At this mileage, what other things should I generally be asking for them to check into or look at?

·
Registered
517 Posts
The OEM brake pads and rotors are soft and wear fast. Almost every GJ Mazda 6 has this issue. They will mostly likely recommend replacement. I would recommend to not go back with oem rotors or pads.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn... the rotors too? I dont mind replacing the brake pads because that isn't too costly, but its pretty ridiculous to have to replace the rotors this early. They dont look warped. I know they still may be but damn i hope not.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Damn... the rotors too? I dont mind replacing the brake pads because that isn't too costly, but its pretty ridiculous to have to replace the rotors this early. They dont look warped. I know they still may be but damn i hope not.
Even when people get them resurfaced they still warped in a short amount of time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have any brand recommendations? Not sure what the shop i go to will have in stock but i am curious. I also see conflicting rotor/brake pad and installation costs as a general number. Seems to really vary.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So this is a follow up to this thread: I must've been one of the lucky ones when it comes to the pads and rotors because they told me neither needed to be replaced. The cabin filter was completely dirty so they changed that and a few more filters. Brake fluid was good, coolant was good, etc.

They did have to reseal the portion of my car the drains accumulated water from the moon roof.
But other than that, everything is running smoothly now, so maybe it was just the filter!

·
Registered
517 Posts
So this is a follow up to this thread: I must've been one of the lucky ones when it comes to the pads and rotors because they told me neither needed to be replaced. The cabin filter was completely dirty so they changed that and a few more filters. Brake fluid was good, coolant was good, etc.

They did have to reseal the portion of my car the drains accumulated water from the moon roof.
But other than that, everything is running smoothly now, so maybe it was just the filter!
Good to know!

I bought my car used, 4 years old with 52xxx miles. The cabin filter had to be original, which is weird bc the carfac shows they went to the same dealership for all services. By time I changed it, it was black and my thoughts were confirmed on why the car smelled musty upon start up.

On brakes, I always try to do brembo blank or centric rotors and my go too pads are Wagner oex. They are a good combo, dont break the bank and have good reliable consistant stopping power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information! When it comes time for replacing, I will resort back to this thread and look into the rotors and pads.

The portion they resealed relating to the moon roof, they checked this out because of a sound I was hearing towards the rear of the car. It sounded like it was coming from the trunk area, like things moving around. I do keep things in the trunk but i've never heard that sound before so i knew it wasn't that. I could hear it at random times, usually slower speeds over bumps and turns but not every time. It sounded like something sliding around. I didn't hear it the day i got my car back and they said they thought thats what was causing the noise, the drainage portion for the moon roof in the trunk. I started hearing it about a day later. I haven't even brought my car back because i doubt they could trouble shoot it since they originally looked for hours.

Day before yesterday, I unlatched both of the back seats and slammed them down back in place. I didn't hear the sound that entire day. Then began to hear it the next day and it sounds like it is still coming from that general trunk area, but in a different area than the passenger rear area. So I am wondering if there isnt something small that is stuck/lodged/moving around the area that is under the seats that you can't really reach considering it seems to stop whenever i slam the seats in tight.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was told that it's actually the pads which cause the rotors to warp, but OEM GJ pads are very good quality. they are made by TRW. That would lead me to believe there is an issue with the OEM rotors. However, they only warp from hard abusive stopping and very spirited driving meaning there's nothing wrong with OEM for regular use..

with that being said, poor acceleration from a stop is a whole other thing to consider. but that should be obvious.

I was at 95K miles when I changed my brakes all around for the first time. The front's still had a bit of material left. Just something to consider for those of you wanting to replace shit at half the mileage....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts