Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to Inspect and clean my throttle body on my 2014 GT sometime this weekend.
Any special procedure or precautions to take? Any special recalibration procedure?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is nearing 100K.
I’ve never even looked at the throttle body.
I don’t know how prone they are to getting dirty.
I clean the throttle body on my truck once a year. But it gets dirty most likely due to having a oiled air filter.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I see no reason to do it. And don't screw with the intake; not only does it have far superior filtration to any of the arftermarket garbage out there it is ALSO tuned on a resonance level to the intake runner length and you will NOT be able to replicate that with an aftermarket design.

The only reason to replace an intake in the first place is due to restriction in whatever the OE design was. There isn't any measurable within the power range of the SkyActiv engine, so there's utterly nothing to be gained by doing it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I see no reason to do it. And don't screw with the intake; not only does it have far superior filtration to any of the arftermarket garbage out there it is ALSO tuned on a resonance level to the intake runner length and you will NOT be able to replicate that with an aftermarket design.

The only reason to replace an intake in the first place is due to restriction in whatever the OE design was. There isn't any measurable within the power range of the SkyActiv engine, so there's utterly nothing to be gained by doing it.

Are you awake yet, youre making even less sense than you normally do, he said nothing about changing the intake.

OP, dont bother with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
10-4. I’ll leave it alone.
And for the record, I never plan to change the stock intake.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
No problem -- with the stock intake and OE air filter it's a non-issue.... I've got over 180k miles on my 3G and see no reason to tamper with the throttle body.

Nothing goes through it other than filtered, clean air.

·
Registered
49 Posts
OP, it’s quick and easy to slip the rubber intake hose off if you want to have a look at the throttle plate. You should be able to manipulate it and have a look at the back side to see whether it’s covered in ‘gunk,’ as most are by your mileage. If it is and you decide to wipe it clean, great; it won’t hurt anything. May not help, but won’t hurt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was another reason why I was gonna take a look at the the throttle body. On my truck the egr system exhausts just behind the throttle plate so the back side is usually skanked up. And my ex wife’s truck had drive by wire. When I would clean it it would maybe take a couple tries to crank then idle stupid for a few minutes but straiten itself out. That’s why I was asking about a relearn or calibration procedure. I don’t know if the Mazda would act similar. And I haven’t looked yet but does the 2.5 Skyactiv have EGR?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
All modern vehicles have EGR; it's the only way to get the NOx levels down enough to pass EPA requirements. It also damages engine efficiency, incidentally.

The reason is that NOx formation follows peak combustion temperature. Reducing it greatly attenuates NOx formation. BUT -- engine efficiency is a function of the difference between the temperature of combustion less the temperature of the exhaust (in Kelvin); that's the maximum theoretical efficiency. If you reduce combustion temperature you reduce the maximum attainable fuel efficiency.

If I recall correctly the SkyActiv/G engine doesn't have a traditional EGR system; it instead uses cam phasing so that some of the exhaust remains, thus providing the same function (diluting peak combustion temperature) without having to route exhaust back into the intake runners.

·
Registered
49 Posts
EGR also improves efficiency, because it allows (forces) the throttle plate to open wider than it otherwise would, which reduces pumping losses. It’s funny how the concept of what efficiency is changes depending upon exactly what one wishes to be ‘efficient’ with respect to.

If I get to it before it gets too hot, I’ll see if there’s an obvious EGR pipe system under the hood. Gotta kill scorpions first, though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Tickerguy for the science lesson:)
I knew egr was emission related but never really quite knew the science behind it.
I thought it was just to burn off any unburnt fuel/air mixture that remained in the exhaust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
4 Participants
Racoon293
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing