Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone!

We've got a ton of "what should I look out for" types of threads and lots of discussions about things owners have experienced with their cars since getting them, and I thought it would be valuable to add something like this to the forum, where potential buyers can come in and see everything they need for potential pitfalls with these cars. There's a ton of us bragging about how amazing they are, but they aren't perfect, and that's what really matters to a potential buyer.

Please help me build this up and suggest anything that I've missed and I'll be happy to add it. This'll end up being a sticky if we can get enough on here.

For now, I'm just getting a list of stuff, I'll organize it later when I have more time.

• All TSBs
  • Warped Rotors [links to any TSB(s) needed]
    • Problem should have been resolved for any models after 2016 [needs verification]
  • The paint is extremely thin and prone to chipping.
    • Mazda sells an $8 bottle of touch up paint that works pretty well.
      • Bottles as of 2016 no longer come with a VERY handy paint brush and are simply an annoying pen tool.
    • There are several reports (one I know personally) where Mazda has completely repainted a hood if it's severe enough.
    • There are several options for protection.
      • 3M Clear Bra
      • Standard Magnetic Bra
      • Don't tailgate so much.
    • Dr. ColorChip has received wonderful praise from many sources.
    • Alternatives could be a place like AutomotiveTouchUp
  • Tons of wind noise [links to any TSB(s) needed]
    • TSBs replace rubber molding and plastic fasteners around doors for a better seal.
    • Can't be done on the same door twice.
  • Suspension Creaking
    • More of an annoyance than anything else. No reports of issues.
  • Rear Windshield cracking in sub 25 degree weather.
    • Can be fixed by placing some fabric/rubber between a bolt and the rear windshield. [citation needed]
  • Lack of low-end power [links to tuning options needed]
  • Handful of transmission complaints [citation needed]
  • (2014 - 2015) TomTom NB1 navigation is horrendous.
    • Can be replaced with a number of Android head units [links to DIYs/setups needed]
    • Barely compatible with phones newer than iPhone 6.
    • Later models all have the Mazda integrated infotainment.
      • Can be customized quite a bit: See Here

·
Super Moderator
17,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t have any of those problems...
?
2018 M6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not everyone does - My car has been rock solid as well, but I wanted this to be a resource for people looking to buy so they can see what problems are most common - doesn't mean the problems are rampant, but things to consider looking for or knowing may be something to look into at some point of ownership.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Great topic!

I got mine on suspension and a silicone spray did the work, thanks to @tickerguy. He even made the effort to take a picture so that I can know exactly where to spray it.

Regarding thin paint, I didn't know how fragile it is that I didn't consider such protection mentioned and now I'm used to a lot of chip marks that it doesn't bother me anymore.
?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not everyone does - My car has been rock solid as well, but I wanted this to be a resource for people looking to buy so they can see what problems are most common - doesn't mean the problems are rampant, but things to consider looking for or knowing may be something to look into at some point of ownership.
Just playing, I was the one with the repaint :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 i Touring 2.5L AT
19 Posts
You may also add that some (if not all) 2014 and 2015 Mazda 6 models come equipped with the TomTom infotainment navigation system instead of the Mazda Connect system on 2016+ models. This is important if the potential buyer plans to use the stock system with Apple Carplay/Android Auto without replacing the head unit since the TomTom system is not eligible for the retrofit upgrade.

Reactions: Byakuya

·
Super Moderator
17,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may also add that some (if not all) 2014 and 2015 Mazda 6 models come equipped with the TomTom infotainment navigation system instead of the Mazda Connect system on 2016+ models. This is important if the potential buyer plans to use the stock system with Apple Carplay/Android Auto without replacing the head unit since the TomTom system is not eligible for the retrofit upgrade.
Got you covered - just never found time to get all the proper links for this thread :)

(2014 - 2015) TomTom NB1 navigation is horrendous.
  • Can be replaced with a number of Android head units [links to DIYs/setups needed]
    • Can be customized quite a bit [citation needed]

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 i Touring 2.5L AT
19 Posts
Got you covered - just never found time to get all the proper links for this thread :)

(2014 - 2015) TomTom NB1 navigation is horrendous.
    • Can be customized quite a bit [citation needed]
I forgot to add that the highest supported iPhone model for the TomTom is the iPhone 6 Plus (iOS8). Any model higher than that will probably be too incompatible to see downloaded messages. I have an iPhone 8 Plus (iOS14.2) and I am able to use all available features except being able to see downloaded messages.

Reactions: Byakuya

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone!

We've got a ton of "what should I look out for" types of threads and lots of discussions about things owners have experienced with their cars since getting them, and I thought it would be valuable to add something like this to the forum, where potential buyers can come in and see everything they need for potential pitfalls with these cars. There's a ton of us bragging about how amazing they are, but they aren't perfect, and that's what really matters to a potential buyer.

Please help me build this up and suggest anything that I've missed and I'll be happy to add it. This'll end up being a sticky if we can get enough on here.

For now, I'm just getting a list of stuff, I'll organize it later when I have more time.

• All TSBs
  • Warped Rotors [links to any TSB(s) needed]
    • Problem should have been resolved for any models after 2016 [needs verification]
  • The paint is extremely thin and prone to chipping.
    • Mazda sells an $8 bottle of touch up paint that works pretty well.
      • Bottles as of 2016 no longer come with a VERY handy paint brush and are simply an annoying pen tool.
    • There are several reports (one I know personally) where Mazda has completely repainted a hood if it's severe enough.
    • There are several options for protection.
      • 3M Clear Bra
      • Standard Magnetic Bra
      • Don't tailgate so much.
    • Dr. ColorChip has received wonderful praise from many sources.
    • Alternatives could be a place like AutomotiveTouchUp
  • Tons of wind noise [links to any TSB(s) needed]
    • TSBs replace rubber molding and plastic fasteners around doors for a better seal.
    • Can't be done on the same door twice.
  • Suspension Creaking
    • More of an annoyance than anything else. No reports of issues.
  • Rear Windshield cracking in sub 25 degree weather.
    • Can be fixed by placing some fabric/rubber between a bolt and the rear windshield. [citation needed]
  • Lack of low-end power [links to tuning options needed]
  • Handful of transmission complaints [citation needed]
  • (2014 - 2015) TomTom NB1 navigation is horrendous.
    • Barely compatible with phones newer than iPhone 6.
      • Can be customized quite a bit: See Here
Looking at maybe getting one of these for my son's first car. He has done some research, but I just wanted some feedback on whether this would be a good car for him. I am looking at a 2016 grand touring with about 85k. Seems like a good deal and a really nice looking car. Any input on questions to ask or things to look for?

·
Super Moderator
17,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at maybe getting one of these for my son's first car. He has done some research, but I just wanted some feedback on whether this would be a good car for him. I am looking at a 2016 grand touring with about 85k. Seems like a good deal and a really nice looking car. Any input on questions to ask or things to look for?
Jeez, lucky kid getting that as his first car haha!

85k is a decent amount of miles but nothing to worry about. I'm at 176k and we've got a few members above 200k and no one's had any major issues. We're having a similar discussion here.

Biggest things to check would be if it's had a trans fluid flush yet, rotors/pads replaced, and some of the TSBs like the wind noise.

Wind noise is easy to check before a test drive - open the rear doors and see if the rubber weather stripping is firmly connected to the door - recall was to replace the plastic clips that break, allowing the rubber to not seal properly.

Honestly though, you can read through my whole experience of this car for more info, but I haven't had to do anything out of the ordinary to keep it super happy. I haven't updated that in quite a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jeez, lucky kid getting that as his first car haha!

85k is a decent amount of miles but nothing to worry about. I'm at 176k and we've got a few members above 200k and no one's had any major issues. We're having a similar discussion here.

Biggest things to check would be if it's had a trans fluid flush yet, rotors/pads replaced, and some of the TSBs like the wind noise.

Wind noise is easy to check before a test drive - open the rear doors and see if the rubber weather stripping is firmly connected to the door - recall was to replace the plastic clips that break, allowing the rubber to not seal properly.

Honestly though, you can read through my whole experience of this car for more info, but I haven't had to do anything out of the ordinary to keep it super happy. I haven't updated that in quite a while.
Thanks for the quick reply! He has been saving since he was little so this is his first big purchase and a lot of birthday money riding on it! We will definitely check those things out! I appreciate it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts