Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 6S ATX has the bad habit of hitting 3rd gear hard a lot of the time.None of the other gears do this at all-the rest are silky smooth changing.I have taken it to the dealer once for several repairs-that being one of them.However it still clunks 3rd repeatedly.It seems to only do it when I am driving conservitively as opposed to higher RPMs.

The other thing that annoys me about the tranny is the problem with stopping quickly then immediately accelerating.The tranny gets all confused and doesnt know what gear to be in.It will rev high then clunk into whatever gear it thinks is appropriate-usually 1st.If I dont come to a complete stop for at least two or three seconds and wait,the car will do it every time.I mentioned this to a service rep and he basically said that is just a characteristic of the car I have to get used to-great.Anyone else have these problems and if so what is the remedy other than getting another car.IT DRIVES ME CRAZY.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Try another dealer, check your ATF, or buy an CP-E Shift Kit :)

I am not an expert at this but I'm sure some Veteran here can help you out. Does it actually accelerate or does it stop braking?

·
Registered
531 Posts
The 3rd gear hard shift is a known problem:

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?t=3401

You may need a tcm or entire tranny replacement. Take it in without any mods whatsoever (even an intake or cooler) and reproduce the problem for the dealer. They'll most likely try updating the firmware first, then the TCM (if the Mazda techline suggest it), then they'll do an entire replacement if nothing works. Good luck.

Note: you may have to take it to another dealer if the first can't fix it after several tries. Some dealers will
jump through hoops before having to do a warranty replacement.

The slow gear changes when stopping is indeed a characteristic of these trannies. It seems the TCM (tranny computer) can't respond as fast when stopping abruptly. An update might help though so try to have the dealer put in the latest.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,I guess it is back to the dealer for me.The car does not do it all the time but enough to be annoying.Maybe I will wait until I can reproduce it on the spot B4 I go back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
wtsheff
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing