Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 721 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
That's one way to do it...

There's a simple way out: when autumn falls on the land, put your original rims on the forum (or Craig, or eBay, or all of the above) for sale - lots of new M6 owners will start looking for a second set of wheels for winter at that time! That's what I did on my local forum in Poland and I already have a buyer for the original Mazda wheels, which will actually be brand new when I collect the car in August (the car comes on 19", I negotiated with the dealer to swap them for brand new, in-the-box 17". Buying the car with no rims at all was unfortunately not an option :) )
Thanks for the insight. I already have mine, so your option is out!:lol:
Besides, the more I look at the car, the less I desire rims...right now. I will just wait it out until I see the RIGHT SET of Wheels + Tires for the right price.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The roads here get pretty bad in winter / early spring, then they fix them, because if you bent your rim in a pothole you take a photo and make a claim to the road owner (usually the ward office) who then has to compensate you... But in winter, when the water freezes in the cracks in asphalt at night the potholes appear faster than they can fix them.

Although the biggest pothole I ever hit in my life was somewhere on the hwy between NYC and Secaucus, NJ, near Secaucus :)

I like to have a little air between me and the road just for comfort's sake. The 19" rims on Mazda 6 require too low tire profile for my taste. Plus, as you mentioned, the tires will be less costly and the overall wheel/tire combo will be LIGHTER, which translates to less stress on the suspension and better performance.

And I don't think the 17" rims will look "small". My previous car, known in the USA as "Acura TSX", had 17" as the largest available option from the factory - it simply had at least 2 sizes smaller tire diameter allowed on that model than in Mazda 6!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a feeling that was the reason. I'm familiar with the TSX, the Mazda has some really large tubs for wheels. The 19s make the brakes look super tiny. I'm curious to see what the 18s will look like with a more aggressive offset. +50 is a bit high for my taste. I was able to easily fit +42 on my STi without fitment or function issues on/off track. I've also ran 0,+15, +25 and +42 on my Miata. No issues either. I'll need to take some accurate measurements to see what I can squeeze in their. The 7.5 are a bit too skinny for my taste.

·
Registered
34 Posts
RTX Envy 18 x 8, 42 offset. 225/50R18 General Altimax tires.
Hey that looks pretty nice, not too much of a gap with the 18s. Are you lowered or is this with a stock suspension? How is the ride quality? Were you with stock 17s or 19s before that?

·
Registered
94 Posts
You're right about the different diameters. For comparison, the stock 225/45R19's diameter is 26.97inch, the 245/40R19's is 26.72, and the 275/35R19's is 26.58. I've driven these sets about 200km today and the handling felt like stock. Then again, I don't do extreme, max at 120-140 kmh. I've a somewhat similar staggered set during my time with my previous Optima SX for about 2 years with out adverse effects. I guess I'll know better by week end and will decide if I want to keep these on the car or upgrade to 20" ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
313 Posts
Must look really cool, lah! :)

I would still be careful about the car's behavior in sudden turns at high speeds, which may be unavoidable even if you normally drive cautiously. Some cars are designed for such tire width mis-match (Porsche comes to mind) and tested accordingly, but this car is not...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Very pretty design, I was actually considering those, but ended up with OZ Superturismo LM. Not very sure about the color vs. the car body, but it's hard to judge from the photo... If YOU think they look good on the car, then they DO look good on the car :)

Just bought the very same tires. You will like them - they are some of the QUIETEST tires on the market. In EU, all tires must be rated for noise and the rating displayed on a label. These are a whole 3dB quieter than the original Japanese winter tires that Mazda 6 is sold here. And 3dB is like the difference between 50W and 100W amp :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Haha, yeah, I do think they look good bronze on gray. Kinda goofy maybe but different. I think the stock 19s' look is a little too serious considering this is a FWD NA I4 family sedan. Thing's going to be dirty all winter anyway, so might as well have fun with it.

Glad to hear the tires are quiet, though mostly that'll let me hear the wind noise more clearly while my iPod loads for 10 minutes. :) Still very happy with the car so far, despite the minor flaws. Great driver.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Here what I have on mine. 20" Avarus av6. ImageUploadedByAG Free1382581087.545482.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1382581116.247564.jpg they are absolutely awesome and fit the car like they came with them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
214 Posts
Looking good.
What size tire did you go with those 20's

·
Registered
782 Posts
Wheels can be SO expensive that I wondered what some would look like on the 6, especially since the 19" wheels are so "boss". So, here are some mock-ups I made of what the New 6 "could" look like in certain wheels (Based on size, I would say these would be 19" or 20" Wheels lowered; 8.5" - 9.0" widths w/ offsets around 35 mm - 40 mm):

Avant Garde m310 :cool:
I think people are crazy for swapping out the stock 19" rims (which are gorgeous and suit the car perfectly, imo). But wow, those Avant Garde's look amazing!

21 - 40 of 721 Posts