Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holding steady (very light gas) at 3k rpm i hear this rattle coming from the engine. even louder if i take off weatherstripping obviously.

i've had the noise for more than a year now, romp on the car regularly and runs like a champ. Not sure what it is or if it's normal. if its normal i don't care. Just curious.

thanks

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so nothing? no one has a clue? throw some buzz words out there someone!?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would like to know what that noise is as well I've been hearing it for a while not too... I was at the dealer today for alignment and asked the guy to listen while doing test drive and let me know what it is but he said "couldn't hear anything" :)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
"Sounds" to me like you guys need to fix whatever is loose under the hood.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Without hearing the sound, I'd say check the heat shields around the exhaust.

·
Registered
84 Posts
re torque your camshaft caps to 72 lbs/in search google and put in mazda 6 tsb, click it then find the camshaft ticking noise, should fix your problem, maybe i dunno my car ticked between 1300 and 1500 rpm's and once i did the camshaft fix everything was smooth with no tick

·
Registered
378 Posts
this is the speed6 section...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Holding steady (very light gas) at 3k rpm i hear this rattle coming from the engine. even louder if i take off weatherstripping obviously.

i've had the noise for more than a year now, romp on the car regularly and runs like a champ. Not sure what it is or if it's normal. if its normal i don't care. Just curious.

thanks
i guess it would depend on the characterization of the "rattle" is it "tinny" sounding...then its prolly heat shields... or is it more of a "clack" sound.... that could be the sweetspot when the car is not to loud and you are hearing the CDFP....

Then again... it could be the giant alarm clock taped to the 6 sticks of TNT that say ACME on them....

IDK.... hard to say without hearing it.... got a vid that picks it up..... most of the guys here are pretty damn good with these cars... but it is tough to diagnose some things with "it makes a rattle @ 3k" with out a few more descriptors...

·
Registered
7 Posts

thanks
Sounds like the "problem" I had/have. Car spent more days than I care to admit at the dealership. All the tech's admitted to hearing the noise, but could not say what it was. Mazda engineers from Japan happen to be in town at the time and they even listened/drove the car. In the end they called it "normal operating noise."

The dealership did inspect the timing chain (before the Japanese tech's got involved). They replaced it and the tensioner, but the sound continued.

I now don't go lightly at 3K rpm's. :D

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i guess it would depend on the characterization of the "rattle" is it "tinny" sounding...then its prolly heat shields... or is it more of a "clack" sound.... that could be the sweetspot when the car is not to loud and you are hearing the CDFP....

Then again... it could be the giant alarm clock taped to the 6 sticks of TNT that say ACME on them....

IDK.... hard to say without hearing it.... got a vid that picks it up..... most of the guys here are pretty damn good with these cars... but it is tough to diagnose some things with "it makes a rattle @ 3k" with out a few more descriptors...
sounds like a clacking.

I'll see if i can make video of it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
My car does this too! Has done it from day one! You can really hear it if you take out the weather stripping seals off the hood. It's always around 2600RPM / 3100RPM. And in case you aren't using a AP or DH you will notice KR at the same time you start hearing the rattle. I think the KR sensor is picking up the CDFP noise and translating it as KR.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My car does this too! Has done it from day one! You can really hear it if you take out the weather stripping seals off the hood. It's always around 2600RPM / 3100RPM. And in case you aren't using a AP or DH you will notice KR at the same time you start hearing the rattle. I think the KR sensor is picking up the CDFP noise and translating it as KR.
yep same here.

has been doing that a little to me too (the knock sensor thing) i've finally (a few months back) stopped listening to KR completely, only paying attention at WOT or if i actually hear pinging sounds.

still gotta make that video, but yes around 2800/3200 rpms it does it for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts