Mazda 6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Hmmmm my ignition has no such black cover plate. :banghead:

It shouldn't be difficult to remove it, but it may be stiff coming out. The "teeth" that hold in the new knob should be the only thing holding that piece in.

Really sorry guys. I didn't even know that that little piece existed... This is frustrating.

Please keep me updated on whether you end up getting it off.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I'm confused... or maybe just dumb. Am I supposed to remove this inner black piece first? How? I tried gently prying it out but no luck.
I used one of my tiny screwdrivers to pry it off. Just be gentle & slow. It pops right off.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
My 2006 doesn't have that piece, fwiw..

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was able to get that plate off, just had to get under it a little better and it popped right off. The new knob fits great!

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Here's a pic of mine- Appears that plate is part of the stock knob. A bit tough to tell in the pic but it's a separate part that is snapped into the cover and acts to attach the cover to the switch. If the cover is worn enough I can easily see the plate staying on the ignition instead of the cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think the plate is meant to stay in place on the ignition. The "cover" has little buttons you can press to pop the cover off the ignition when you need to use the key. That's how I've always used it, there's no way you could pull both out at once using just your fingers on mine.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
YES-
I remember that.... :)

Now that you say that I remember mine working that way too, once upon a time like 4 years ago... I'll have to mess around with it later & see why it doesn't any longer

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I think the plate is meant to stay in place on the ignition. The "cover" has little buttons you can press to pop the cover off the ignition when you need to use the key. That's how I've always used it, there's no way you could pull both out at once using just your fingers on mine.
Same here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I printed an extra knob today so if anyone else is interested, I have one ready to be painted!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hey guys,

I actually just picked up a used Speed 6 just last week and happened to stumble upon this forum. When I picked up my MS6, both of the advanced keys had dead batteries and the previous owner was using the hard key for driving. Well upon getting home with the car, I discovered that he had apparently lost the ignition switch knob.

Halozander, if your last switch cover is still available, I would definitely be interested in purchasing it from you. They look fantastic!

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,740 Posts
Anyone opposed to this being a sticky? OP is certainly delivering and it seems those who have got their products are quite happy.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
@TiGraySpeed6 : I just realized looking at your pictures that I painted and sent you my final prototype model. It has a solid base instead of being shelled at the bottom. It's is no different other than that fact (well besides it cost me a bit extra to print) ;) You may have been wondering why it is slightly different than the instruction rendering.

If you don't mind, then I'm not going to worry about it. Lol

@Cincinnatus : Your part is painted. The white looks good. Expect an invoice later today after its dry and I snag some pics!
@Byakuya : I certainly don't mind! ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Sent that one to @tehcapn; but thanks for looking out!

·
Super Moderator
16,740 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
@TiGraySpeed6 : I just realized looking at your pictures that I painted and sent you my final prototype model. It has a solid base instead of being shelled at the bottom. It's is no different other than that fact (well besides it cost me a bit extra to print) ;) You may have been wondering why it is slightly different than the instruction rendering.

If you don't mind, then I'm not going to worry about it. Lol
So you're saying mine is one-of-a-kind? Yesssss

61 - 80 of 113 Posts
About this Discussion
112 Replies
16 Participants
Zdc590
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing