Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone!

So, I recently broke the ignition knob on the speed. I looked to see what it would cost to replace it, and I was not surprised that the stealership wants about 25 bucks for it.

I said, "screw that!" and set out to making my own. Two protos later I think I have a solid little part. I will be printing out the final (hopefully) product tomorrow. After the print, the knob will get an acetone vapor steam, which will hopefully give it a nice finish.

I decided that maybe some of you on here might want one, so here I am, measuring the level of interest. I don't imagine I would charge more than 10 bucks for one. We shall see. I can print them in a variety of different colors, however, the image shows the text being a different color. While this would be possible to print it like that, it would be an extraordinary pain in the a$$ for me. I might consider painting them if I got a big enough response (albeit I don't expect one).

Anyways, let me know what you guys think, and if you might want one. :rolleyes:

I thought I should add some updates to the first post for any newcomers to the thread. It was decided among the initial group of buyers, that they wouldn't mind spending a bit more to have the nicer of the two styles of printer available to me print this part (black ABS only). Also I decided that along with the nicer print, I would also paint the lettering (red, blue, green or white). I have been selling the parts for $23 shipped. Please see the rest of the thread for pictures of the process and finished parts! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,809 Posts
That's a pretty sweet alternative to the OEM one. Hope it works well for you - I'm sure you'll get a few 'pings' of interest :)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
For $10, I'll take one in red. Can't wait to see the final product. :)

Is a custom key FOB case also possible?

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Ping!

If it's black, like the stocker, and has the MS logo in it like the graphic in the OP, then I'd drop $10 on that in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'd be interested if they're only ~$10!

I need to get one of those 3D printers... so cool.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
pinging in also. subbing. and will purchase. i dont care if there is a logo on it or not. i'll take it in black.

·
Super Moderator
16,809 Posts
Long-time member, I'm sure he's just busy. Perhaps he's not responding until he has a finished product to unveil :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Holy cow guys, I was supposed to be getting emails for any replies to this thread and haven't gotten any!!!.

I have been super busy with higher priority things. (replacing: clutch n' flywheel, front cover, timing components, power steering pump, rebuilding 3rd and 4th gear... the list goes on. I didn't realize there was any interest!

I will be updating you guys now that I know there might be some interest!

Some updates for now: design finalized on 3rd iteration (shown above). It gets printed in 2 sections as you might have guessed. They are joined using abs glue (as the part is abs, and the glue is basically just a solvent for abs). Once joined, the part takes a bit of sanding, and is given an acetone steam bath which gives it a smoother/shinier finish. Following that, I send them to whoever wants them!

I have one finished for myself and so far I love it! Tomorrow after work I will take and upload some pictures for you guys. I would do it now, but I am in the midst of doing surgery on my phone right now (broke my damn screen for the 3rd time).

A note about colors: I may start a poll to see what colors are most desirable, that way I can print them all at one time. Also, these are very easily painted with a rattle-can (what I did with mine in gunmetal metallic) so if I don't have the ABS for your desired color, it may be best to just do it that way.

Whew okay. Again sorry for the blue balls fellas... and thanks 2007MS6 for actually getting a hold of me!

Alex

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cool!

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Would it be much of a project to make the base round instead of rectangle? So it doesn't leave the ignition switch exposed?

1 - 20 of 113 Posts