Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
Recently got my 2015 6
The audio isn't bad but I'm lacking some bass and clarity.
I plan to sound deaden all 4 doors and trunk lid (50-60$)
Also thought about replacing the door speakers while I'm there with the deadning.
Front components: Hertz dsk165.3 (tweeter on top of the door panel) (140$)
Back coaxials: Hertz dcx165.3 (85$)

maybe amp them later on.

Already got installation mounts and harness adapters for the speakers (37$ total)

Some folks said I'm better off with replacing just the front dash with a 3.5" or just put a sub+amp which costs more since I can't DIY it. PLUS I'm gonna do sound deadning anyways. I want the ride to be more premium and better door "thunk".

Any help is welcome.
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your plan should work, I believe. The rear doors definitely get a full signal, and the front doors should get a full signal if you leave the dash speakers in. If you pull out the dash speakers the doors won't get a full signal and will sound awful.

Replacing the front dash speakers is a great way to get some clear highs and mids, and an amp/sub will fill out the lows more than speakers; you may lose some bass with the speakers you've chosen since they seem to have poor response below 50Hz.

I personally went with Polk DB652s and DB6502s, and can attest to their low end performance and clarity.

You may also get a significant improvement in quality from a head unit change; I went with a Dasaita Max 6 head unit on mine, and it's a great improvement over the stock head unit both in terms of sound quality and usability.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been reading through the forum a bit and saw many recommend switching the dash twitter to a 3.5 polk db351 with 400hz+- cut off. Although they are not cheap for me at 120$ shipped.
Any other suggestions for front dash?

Also managed to find the 6.5" hertz cheaper on ebay. Still thinking about those.. the DCX are recommended by crutchfield.
also a component might not be a good choice if I'm not shutting off the dash speaker/twitters. Right?

Trying to avoid a subwoofer, because of total cost + trunk space.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
That front dash speaker with the block for low frequencies is excellent. I know they're expensive, but they're also worth it.

That plus some deadening in the doors and trunk lid (not much needed there and you don't want to use too much either!) will make an utterly astounding difference in sound quality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice.
Thinking about going step by step
1st go with 3.5" in the dash with bass block , probably Hertz DCX 87.3 which are 75$ shipped (or anything else upto 100$)0
2nd Sound deadning 4dr+trunk for better bass
And later on or simultaneously replacing the door speakers with Dsk up front (maybe without connecting the twitters?)
And two Dcx 165.3 on the back or go 4x dcx

Am I too hung up on Hertz? Any input are welcome
Trying to find highly reviewed speakers with good prices shipped, mostly using Crutchfield as recommendation source

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Soooo i ordered from ebay a pair of each:
Hertz DCX 87.3
Hertz Dsk 165.3
Hertz DCX 165.3

Only to realize I made things too complicated with 2x tweeter (4) up front
Two in dash (3.5" 2 way) and two with the dsk components
I didn't install any of these yet.
Pretty confident about the 3.5" in the dash
Debating whether I should put components or coaxials in the front doors.
Audio installer guy said that if I were to Amp the front components it will collide with the 3.5" dash speakers as from factory the dash tweeter and door speakers are basically a component setup.

Advice needed!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought about not using the tweeters.
Should I still use the crossover or plug the dsk straight?

About morel, they are not as efficient as the hertz, and Im trying to avoid the Amp route.
Also, I ended up getting all the speakers from ebay which ended up much cheaper than either morel or hertz at the local shops/websites. 220$ for all 3 sets

1 - 16 of 16 Posts