Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could people let me know how much you are paying for dealer 30,000 mile services? My dealer just charged me over $500 for one and im about to loose it!!! Im not a do-it-yourself-er, my car is leased, and up to now had no problem going to the dealer for service. They are close, convenient, and up to now, i trusted them. Any info would be appreciated. And if i did get totally ass-raped, what can i do about it?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Could people let me know how much you are paying for dealer 30,000 mile services? My dealer just charged me over $500 for one and im about to loose it!!! Im not a do-it-yourself-er, my car is leased, and up to now had no problem going to the dealer for service. They are close, convenient, and up to now, i trusted them. Any info would be appreciated. And if i did get totally ass-raped, what can i do about it?
[/b]
I've been doing all the required service myself so far - there really isn't much to it. And if there is something I can't or won't do I have a trusted mechanic that will do it for a reasonable cost.

$500 for that service seems high, but what did he do? Just what's in the manual, or more than the required service? If it was just what's in the service manual you got with the car, it was outrageously high. But I bet it was more than the required. Even so, I would probably say you could have gotten it all done for less money with an individual mechanic only doing the required service and a few other select items.

·
Registered
508 Posts
[/b]
Get quoted from other dealers, I got quoted for 250 to install my autodimming mirrors in one place, and 150 in another, so....not all dealerships charge the same price for maintenance...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I couldn't see spending $265 on a service where they just check a bunch of crap, so I went with the 5,000 mile maintenance package (tire rotation and oil change). Aren't they supposed to check all that stuff anyways as part of the full service service?

$500 (or even 265) = :bsflag:

·
Registered
159 Posts
My dealer did it for $325, which was $50 less than their $375 quote since they didn't need to do a few things that are "required." I also checked with another dealer and they quoted me $445.95 before parts, etc. Uh, yeah... :thefing:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input!! Did some checking around and got 3 other quotes that were all in the ballpark. Unfortunately i live in the greater NY metro area, and everything is just too damn expensive. :angry:

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,532 Posts
The only thing that NEEDS to be done is an oil/filter change.

Everything else is just inspections (brakes, fluids, etc.) and lubricating the locks and hinges.

Don't waste your money on "inspections" that you can do yourself. Change the oil/filter, and the air filter if you so desire, and take the $300+ you saved and spend it on something else.

·
Registered
134 Posts
[/b]
I paid about the same when I hit 30K on my old 6s. 30K is considered a major service. Remember that your recommended services are PREVENTATIVE maintenance. You could just get an oil change and be on your merry way, However it is recommended you get the full service to prevent unexpected issues which could be more cosly to fix down the line. Particulalry if you're not a "do it yourself" kind of guy.

For what I paid. My dealership did a full flush of the cooling system, fuel injection system cleaning, inspected and lubed CV joints, Wheel Bearings, Etc. Tire Rotation and Balance, 4-wheel Alignment, Transmission (AT) flush & fill, inspected, cleaned and adjusted brakes and of course the full inspection of belts, hoses, etc.

FWIW. I had over 80,000 on my 6s when I turned it in. I always had the dealer recommended services done. The only problems I ever had with the car were known issues (TSB's) in the early 6s's related to the front suspension (clunking) and transmission (hard shifts) both were resolved under warranty.

:EDIT:

Obviously they changed the oil too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well, after further review, it looks like these dealers like to do a lot more than manufacturer requires.

Looked up 30,000 mi maitainance at edmunds.com and they show estimated cost of $100...and it is just an oil change and a bunch of inspections/checks, according to edmunds.

Folks can choose for themselves if they want to do just what the manufacturer requires or do extras that dealer recommends...or something in-between. But if you go to a dealer and say "do 30,000 mile maintenance", don't expect them to ask "do you want just the required stuff?".

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Well, after further review, it looks like these dealers like to do a lot more than manufacturer requires.

Looked up 30,000 mi maitainance at edmunds.com and they show estimated cost of $100...and it is just an oil change and a bunch of inspections/checks, according to edmunds.

Folks can choose for themselves if they want to do just what the manufacturer requires or do extras that dealer recommends...or something in-between. But if you go to a dealer and say "do 30,000 mile maintenance", don't expect them to ask "do you want just the required stuff?".
[/b]
Most of the services recommended by the dealer are money makers - which is why they recommend them. The only extra service I am considering is and ATX flush. And I'll get that done by my mechanic for a lot less than the dealer would charge.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
[/b]
funny you said that. i'm going in for my 30k and my dealer's service guys (really good, king's mazda) asked what all i wanted done.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
just had my oil/filter changed at 30k and like someone else said, all other stuff for them to check is mandatory, no extra charge plus its stuff you can do yourself....all i paid for was oil change...

always check your manual before getting car serviced... my dad called the dealership and asked about 15k service for his 3 they told him $250, he flipped his lid and has not gone back since.... he checked the manual and all it said was oil/filter change and just check everything else....

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
agreed. just follow the service manual. $250 or even $500 is a complete rip off for 'inspecting' hoses. especially with only 30K miles!!!

its crazy. alot u can do yourself for next to nothing.

if you do want to go to the dealership, before you pay anything, tell them to give u a complete breakdown of what they will do and how much they will charge. if they won't, then go somewhere else.

if they do, check it out yourself or with others and see if it seems reasonable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts