Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have searched for an hour to no avail, please chime in with your knowledge.

I am wanting to get the Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust for my Speed6. I was wondering if it will still work if i put a 3" downpipe on it as well. I have never changed exhaust, but i know its bolt on so it shouldnt be too difficult. Just didnt know if it would work with a diff size downpipe.

Does anyone have a 3" downpipe and 2.5" exhaust?

·
Registered
295 Posts
im pretty sure 3inch downpipe works fine with stock exhaust. i believe many use that setup because it gives you a nice tone without being too loud. i will be buying ebay downpipe to stock exhaust and hope to get a nice addition of performance and sound without being obnoxious

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
hmmm. I have the Magaflow catback with a CP-e cattd DP.
I think I remember that my installer had a slight issue with the gasket. Sorry, I can't remember but it was minor.

Reactions: punisher900c

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
I have the Magnaflow with the ATP 3" downpipe and fitment is good. The shop that installed the downpipe told me the gasket that came with the ATP would leak, so they used a different gasket.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why don't you just buy all 3" piping mr. moneybags? :laugh:
Because i dont want a 3 inch exhaust, its only a 4 cylinder and i dont want it to be loud, i want a nice sounding vehicle, not one that will irritate my neighbors.

and we've already discussed this, i am not mr. moneybags. :mad:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the Magnaflow with the ATP 3" downpipe and fitment is good. The shop that installed the downpipe told me the gasket that came with the ATP would leak, so they used a different gasket.

How much was your ATP Downpipe? ... and which source did you use for the magnaflow exhaust? i found RPMstore offering it for $477 (exhaust)

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I have the CPE DP 3" to 2.5" magnaflow, all good. You can get the right gasket from CPE for like $20 or something.

To fix the size issue powerwise though I have an electronic 3" cutout in my DP for when I want full powers. :D Rest of the time its quiet. See vid:

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
How much was your ATP Downpipe? ... and which source did you use for the magnaflow exhaust? i found RPMstore offering it for $477 (exhaust)
Try here first: Buy/Sell - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 / Mazda Atenza Forum. I've seen a few used Magnaflow exhausts for sale there.

I bought my exhaust from hottexhaust.com, because I'm in Canada and they have a distributor here. But check their prices and if you buy from them, search Google for known coupon codes to get a discount ("superhonda" worked for 15% at the time). BTW I paid ~$440 at the time.
For the DP, check out ATP's website for the price. That's what you're going to pay unless you buy used or you get some kind of a deal.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Because i dont want a 3 inch exhaust, its only a 4 cylinder and i dont want it to be loud, i want a nice sounding vehicle, not one that will irritate my neighbors.
From what folks tell me, they're grateful for the Magnaflow hooked up with an aftermarket downpipe. Magnas are the most conservative sounding among MS6 exhaust kits so it quiets them down really well. I don't blame you with the sound, though. I went with a Magna, myself. I like the nice, low rumble. Lets people know I'm coming, but not loud enough to annoy the neighbors.

·
Registered
345 Posts
you're an idiot. Do you understand this is a forum where questions are asked? Do you think i would fucking ask if i knew the answer? and it's not even relatively close to your retarded analogy and frankly it's a legit question that makes sense, and apparently it can be done relatively easily. Thanks for your .02 that was not welcomed, if you wish to truly participate in a helpful manner maybe you shouldnt come across like a dick. :attack::thefing:
I gave my suggestion I said get 3 in piping just like a few above me. Now just cause I added a joke into the mix doesn't mean that you gotta groan my post and then post a nasty comment callin me an idiot cause I made a joke. Also if this forum was only for SERIOUS QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS half the people wouldn't even post. I gave you my suggestion and put a little humor into it. Sorry you thought I was insulting you. It was a joke. Treat it as such :D

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would stick with 3" to 3". The better power comes from less restriction in the exhaust. Plus with Magna Flow i heard there are some fitament issues with it htting the exhaust rings. I personally am a fan of CP-e. Plus there are no fitament issues. And a lot of research goes into creating the parts. To me magnaflow and flowmaster and the likes should b left to muscle cars. Just my .02 cents.

Reactions: Cameron23

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Hmm... I just picked up a CPE catted DP today, so I'll be selling my 3" SU TP, and adding the CPE DP to the 3" GHL Dual CBE w/ resonator. I think it'll sound good :)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Personally I think if you are worried about sound, just a 3" catted DP and Mid (or test pipe) to the stock Cat-back would be perfect. The biggest power gains are upgrading the piping closest to the engine, the further away you get the less power increase. I believe there is also a fab job that has been done to upgrade all piping to 3" and keep the stock mufflers that someone posted here with Dyno sheets that prove a difference of -5hp compared to a full 3" with high-flow aftermarket muffler. Sounds virtually stock ( just a deeper tone during heavy acceleration) and you still get the huge power increase. The thread is somewhere here on the forums and ill edit the post when I find it. Just my .02

·
Registered
738 Posts
Most people complain about the in-cabin drone of a full 3" not to mention you are a target for any five-o out on patrol. You have to understand the OP doesn't want annoying sound. Stock mufflers are worth the 5hp difference imo. Still sounds beefy as s**t but still able to enjoy your stereo without going deaf... that's the method I'm going with... although I'll buy used mufflers so I can keep my stockies :)

also the inlet on the stock mufflers are 1.75"... you have 2. This is the equivalent to a single 2.5" exit in terms of flow.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Personally I think if you are worried about sound, just a 3" catted DP and Mid (or test pipe) to the stock Cat-back would be perfect. The biggest power gains are upgrading the piping closest to the engine, the further away you get the less power increase. I believe there is also a fab job that has been done to upgrade all piping to 3" and keep the stock mufflers that someone posted here with Dyno sheets that prove a difference of -5hp compared to a full 3" with high-flow aftermarket muffler. Sounds virtually stock ( just a deeper tone during heavy acceleration) and you still get the huge power increase. The thread is somewhere here on the forums and ill edit the post when I find it. Just my .02
It is HERE.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Read the whole thing ( if you have the time haha) and you will understand more. thanks for the find Amunre

1 - 19 of 19 Posts