Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:swearin:

Well, I was taking my daughter for a leasure ride in the country and the yellow engine light came on. I stopped and restarted the car and the light is still on. No sounds, and the oil/water are full. I filled up 2 days ago with Sonoco Ultra 94 and a half bottle of 104+ octane booster, so it can not be fuel related. ANy idea as to why a 2,000 RPM cruise would trip the service engine light with 290 miles on the car? How do I reset it? I have turned the car off and restarted 4 times in a row trying to reset the light....but no good. The light is still on. :(

As a side note, can I disable the seatbelt chime?

I washed and waxed the car this morning and I found 4 spots on the trunk lid, and a small dent in the front left corner of the hood........whats the chances Mazda will take care of me on this?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Your best bet on the light is to take it to the dealer, or if you can find someone near you with a scanner then they can tell you what it is. You can reset it by taking the neg battery cable off for a few seconds and then putting it back on, it's a good idea to get it checked out the right way though, in case it's serious.

The seatbelt chime can only be disabled by the dealer (they may refuse to do it claiming safety, etc, etc)

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Could it be because you put gas that is too high in octane?

I have no idea if you have the regular mazda or mazdaspeed. But for regular mazda, you need to use regular gas for best performance.

If you want to reset the CEL, you can disconnect your battery. However, never assume that your CEL is no big deal. You want to get it checked.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Wow I'd be pissed off also man. I feel ya, after getting a new car and happy with it and all you don't need that.

·
Registered
680 Posts
My thoughts are the same as Jax'. You're light can definitely be fuel-related. Even an MS6 ought to be fine with just plain premium - no 'boost' additives. If you've got a standard Mazda6, just use regualr gas.

Start off by getting yourself some fresh gas. Take a few trips to see if the light goes out. If it doesn't, then go to the dealer, but do not say anything about fuel additives to them. If you mention the OctaneBoost, they'll surely unload their typical canned Mazda BS about "Mazda doesn't recommend fuel additives." Don't submit yourself to that.

Let us know what happens.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Being it's 3 days, just go back to the dealer and have them scan the car and reset the CEL. I agree if you have a Mazda not a Mazdaspeed, you may have put too high of an octane in your car. I myself havent' tried that fuel additive, but putting that into a new car/engine, I wouldnt' assume would go off without any problems, IMO.

Good luck!

PS: And make sure you have all the latest PCM updates while you have it in the shop.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
You have a warranty. Take it to the dealer and use the warranty to find out what is wrong.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know the feeling. I got my 6 just over a month ago. Well Its been at the shop fopr CEL for a week now. Im told its due too a vent valve inside the gas tank. They are having trouble getting all the parts they need to replace. Its starting to get me down a bit. I miss my CAR. I do have a camry to drive but its not the same.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
check your gas cap

·
Registered
81 Posts
check your gas cap
[/b]
My thought exactly.

A loose or improperly seated gas cap can cause a CEL. My first experience with this was when I dropped my gas cap for my 2002 Jetta. I dusted it off and put it back on. A day later, my CEL comes on. I call the dealer and they say to check the cap. I know I had it on tight because I heard the clicks. But I took it off and checked anyway. Sure enough, the drop caused the o-ring to slip out of the groove and subsequently bunch up. I put the o-ring back in place and put the cap on. Seven drive cycles later, the light went off.

Turning the car off and on will not clear the CEL even if you have fixed the problem. The new CEL requires successful drive cycles before they will clear. I don't know how many cycles or how long they have to be on the 6. For the Jetta, it was 7 good cycles of a minimum of 2 miles each.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I had my Mazda 6S for 2 wks and the engine light came on. Took it back to the dealer and they replace the whole throttle body, no questions asked. I asked them the question "what was wrong?" They said it was a defective throttle body. Sounds like they get alot of that. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts