Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would be interested in joining the lawsuit. I bought my well maintained used 2010 Mazda6 S GT V6 with all service records at $80K with a recent coolant flush and tune-up. Immediately had minor expense issues of Bose amplifier burnt out, gasket seals, O2 sensor, plastic overhead storage broke and other wear and tear items over the proud period year of ownership. Now, I'm getting ready for preventative maintenance and I find out something that cost me $300 on my previous Honda, costs $3,000 on my Mazda to replace is ridiculous. Most of the labor should be covered by the manufacturer Ford/Mazda via a rebate to the dealers because of a poor design, quality and falsely informing customer of it's a "lifetime" water pump. Per the history of the car, the water pump needs to be replaced every 100K miles minimum compared to other designed cars that last way longer, cheaper to replace and they mention in the recommended maintenance it must be replaced.

While sitting and waiting in the car during a very windy cold night of 20 below F, the car started to overheat, burning oil and coolant. The cause is a water pump going bad and needs immediate attention. No where in the Mazda recommendation maintenance does it state I should replace the water pump, only to do coolant flushes. All my other cars I own manufactures recommend replacing he water pump and those cars didn't brake down.

I really enjoyed the car for the year and wasn't expecting this big of a cost for preventative maintenance that was never told to the customers. If they simply put in the maintenance recommendations to replace water pump at XXX miles, it would be my fault for not reading it or understand the possible costs. The "lifetime" water pump needing replacement early and often with a extremely high expense is not wear and tear, but a poor designed product, hiding information from the customer to lower advertising cost maintenance and causing very early car damage/loses. I expect my cars to last many more miles than 100K, Otherwise, I would have not purchased this lovely car. The water pump should be under the recall notice and replace at a minimum three times up to 350,000 miles (one replacement at 100K, 200K and 300K).

Well, I am wishful thinking of Mazda being a responsible manufacturer and taking car of its customers. This my first and last Mazda after this unexpected experience.

·
Registered
793 Posts
For those that think any other manufacturer would do anything under similar circumstances,

Dream on.

Bad design or not when a car has 100K miles on it there isn't a single manufacturer that is going to get involved, accept any responsibilities regarding repairs. NONE.

Sorry anyone has had this issue but if you think other manufact. haven't had issues of some sort you haven't researched.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Ask all the Audi/BMW/VW owners with their advertised "lifetime transmission fluid" starting in the late 90's. BMW's usually live a harsh life and you'd be shocked if you saw just how many are sitting in the auction going for pennies on the dollar with blown transmissions with under 100LK miles.

All cars have some sort of fatal flaw, this is a bad one for Mazda for sure.

I don't have a problem with the mileage interval, it just sucks the labor is so intensive and expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is my main point, shocked that the Ford manufacturer after releasing the engine in 2007 and not updating/correcting recommended maintenance schedule to include water pump replacement. Secondly, the labor cost and time to replace is way too high. I get it, the manufacturer only cares about the product lasting through the warranty period of 3 year or 36K miles. At the same time, cars can last reasonably 100K~250K, some even 400K, based on quality of build with proper maintenance. I was surprised the overall quality of the car is good/great expecting 150K~180K miles, except this one area; resulting of a bad design of engine, bad access to repair and not informing the customer to preventative measures. Mazda's answer was to ignore it or they didn't know about it. Simply put, Mazda recommends the transmission fluid flushed at 60K miles, way past the warranty period for them to even care about, but as a courtesy to inform their customers to have a car last as long as possible, they recommended it. Mazda wants their cars to have the reputation to last a long time, hold their value and customers returning to buy more cars models. I just see Mazda hiding this flaw to avoid advertising a high annual maintenance cost average, while quickly removing Ford V6 engines from their currently models, even though they need V6 engine performance in at least their big car/SUV models.

I would have easily bought another Mazda if I just knew or was warned about it. I was even considering a Mazda5 for a work van, not anymore.

I have owned many cars over the years and all of them drove to 150K or more miles, until the major cost repair and none have ever died. I followed the manufacturers instructions and results are positive. Example, my last car was a 2003 Honda Pilot, which I completely forgot to replace the VTM-4 rear differential fluid from new to 180K miles, which at that point started having issues. It was my fault, Honda recommend it on the schedule at 60K, 120K, 180K; I made the mistake and I take ownership for that damage.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Fwiw, some of this also depends on knowledgable dealers. Our CX9 has the same engine and it has been fine. The dealer knows what to look for and verifies at each oil change. A lot of it is keeping up with good maintenance and knowing the signs. Fwiw

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,565 Posts
Per the history of the car, the water pump needs to be replaced every 100K miles minimum compared to other designed cars that last way longer, cheaper to replace and they mention in the recommended maintenance it must be replaced.
Considering I owned the same exact year and model that you have (2010S GT), I pretty much memorized the maintenance schedule listed for the V6. There's NO mention of a water pump REPLACEMENT listed anywhere. None.

I've also owned/cared for at least two dozen other vehicles, all varying makes, models and years. I can't recall ANY water pump REPLACEMENT requirement listed in any of them either.
All my other cars I own manufactures recommend replacing he water pump and those cars didn't brake down.
They had damn well better BRAKE, that's part of the basic functions of a car.

As for the water pump replacement requirement so they don't BREAK down, see my above comment.
...quickly removing Ford V6 engines from their currently models, even though they need V6 engine performance in at least their big car/SUV models.
With the termination of the Ford/Mazda partnership, and the loss of the use of the Flat Rock, Mich. assembly plant, access to the Ford designed/built V6 that Mazda used was taken away, hence the reason why they decided to concentrate on their Skyactiv 4-cylinder engines, and added a turbocharger for the CX-9 and the Mazda6. It's the current trend for every other manufacturer, not just Mazda.

They didn't "quickly" remove the V6 simply due to the "poor" water pump design.
I have owned many cars over the years and all of them drove to 150K or more miles, until the major cost repair and none have ever died. I followed the manufacturers instructions and results are positive. Example, my last car was a 2003 Honda Pilot, which I completely forgot to replace the VTM-4 rear differential fluid from new to 180K miles, which at that point started having issues. It was my fault, Honda recommend it on the schedule at 60K, 120K, 180K; I made the mistake and I take ownership for that damage.
Ahh, the Pilot. A Pilot that a co-worker of mine bought, brand-new, and also rigorously followed the maintenance schedule, had a re-occuring problem with the cylinder cutout system (the transitions were sometimes abrupt, and caused it to stall on multiple occasions), which Honda attempted multiple times to fix, but they never succeeded, as well as the transmission self-destructing after only 40K miles (which Honda did cover), then began failing again at 95K miles (when he decided that he'd had enough and got rid of it).

My point? EVERY SINGLE VEHICLE has as much of a chance of being a problem child as anyone else. Honda is no different.
What cars are those? I have never seen "water pump replacement" as part of the recommended service.
That's because they're as rare as unicorns and the fountain of youth.
Water pump replacement is in most Honda and Toyota manuals at 80K to 120K miles. Example on page 22 & on page 23 http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/CI0303/CI0303O00020C.pdf
Per your example you posted, it says to REPLACE timing belt, and INSPECT auto-tensioner and water pump.

Sigh...

·
Registered
941 Posts
Only cars that have timing belts usually get the waterpump replaced as maintenance because you are there and the WP is part of the external timing system.

It really is a ridiculous repair, but as said, every car has that ridiculous repair that makes them the work of evil if you are unfortunate to own one that needs that repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello IAM Eric I have. Mazda6 2010 with 82000 miles. And it cost me 4500 to replace engine do to water pump failing as well as the timing belt grinding up inside engine.703 586 3515..let's due Mazda Corp !! Txt or leave mess

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello I am Eric I have a Mazda6 2010 Touring 3.7ltr with 82000 miles!!!. And it cost me 4500 this month to replace engine do to water pump failing as well as the timing belt grinding up inside engine.703 586 3515..let's sue Mazda Corp !! Txt or leave mess

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello I am Eric I have a Mazda6 2010 Touring 3.7ltr with 82000 miles!!!. And it cost me 4500 this month to replace engine do to water pump failing as well as the timing belt grinding up inside engine.703 586 3515.Coloniel hts Va
. .let's sue Mazda Corp !! Txt or leave mess

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

If you lost your 3.7L engine or had a huge repair bill because of a water pump failure please reach out to me. I am trying to collect data on how many people had this issue so I can try to get Mazda's attention. I have already reported it to the NHTSA and if enough people do it, maybe there will be a recall.

I own a 2011 GT. My water pump just failed and took out my engine on August 31st. I had virtually no warning. Had it towed to the dealership which quoted me $7400 for a used engine and $13k for a new one!! A private shop quoted me $4500-5500. My car had 140k miles on it and is worth less than the cost of repairing it. But I kept it well maintained, it ran like a dream and I planned to drive it for many more years.

Anyway I contacted Mazda and they started an investigation. They asked my dealership for "warranty pricing" to fix the car. In other words what the dealer would charge for the repair if corporate paid. Mustn't have liked the answer because last Friday I got the call that corporate wasn't going to fix the car. Or contribute anything toward the cost. They did offer me 4% off dealer invoice for a NEW car. I asked if they would provide a longer warranty or any concession if I bought a new car. No, they wouldn't.

4% off invoice is probably around $1000. Needless to say I am not happy. I get that the car is out of warranty and has miles on it. But the water pump destroyed the engine. Cars should last more than 90k miles, 100k miles, with normal use. And these engines are not.
I've been doing research and this is happening to a lot of people - Mazda owners, Ford Explorer and F-150 owners, anyone who had a Duratec 3.5L or 3.7L engine.

If you lost your 3.7L engine or had a huge repair bill because of a water pump failure please reach out to me. I am trying to collect data on how many people had this issue so I can try to get Mazda's attention. I have already reported it to the NHTSA and if enough people do it, maybe there will be a recall.

Thank you.
I have Mazda 6 with 3.7 engine.Vehicle have only 104500 km about 64000 miles.
oilis milky due to failure water pump.Mazda dealer told me waranty is ower and I need new engine.
soebody can help me??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I own a 2011 GT. My water pump just failed and took out my engine on August 31st. I had virtually no warning. Had it towed to the dealership which quoted me $7400 for a used engine and $13k for a new one!! A private shop quoted me $4500-5500. My car had 140k miles on it and is worth less than the cost of repairing it. But I kept it well maintained, it ran like a dream and I planned to drive it for many more years.

Anyway I contacted Mazda and they started an investigation. They asked my dealership for "warranty pricing" to fix the car. In other words what the dealer would charge for the repair if corporate paid. Mustn't have liked the answer because last Friday I got the call that corporate wasn't going to fix the car. Or contribute anything toward the cost. They did offer me 4% off dealer invoice for a NEW car. I asked if they would provide a longer warranty or any concession if I bought a new car. No, they wouldn't.

4% off invoice is probably around $1000. Needless to say I am not happy. I get that the car is out of warranty and has miles on it. But the water pump destroyed the engine. Cars should last more than 90k miles, 100k miles, with normal use. And these engines are not.
I've been doing research and this is happening to a lot of people - Mazda owners, Ford Explorer and F-150 owners, anyone who had a Duratec 3.5L or 3.7L engine.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I would am interested to find out where you are at with this issue. I just got the wonderful news today that my 2010 Mazda 6 (aka that piece of shit) that I bought new, needs a water pump. Minimum cost $3,000. car has 150,000 Km on or about 90,000 miles. I had to replace the transmission at less than 60,000 miles. Have had to replace the gas tank twice as they developed leaks, have had to replace fuel injectors etc etc etc. All with my local Mazda dealer in Kelowna, BC Canada not helping in ANY way. All extremely expensive repairs. I am absolutely pissed off! Please let me know where you are with this!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Thank you.
Same eng issue here

21 - 36 of 36 Posts