Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
There is no 2007 Mazdaspeed 6. It was only a single year production. The Mazdaspeed 3 is the 2007 Mazdaspeed car, and yes its been tweaked from it's original power output. It's now slated to be released at 267 bhp and 280 ft/lbs.

2008 will either see a second year of the Mazdaspeed 3 (thats my guess), no mazdaspeed car at all, or a mazdaspeed rx8. (Fingers crossed)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i don't think we'll see the Duratec 35 in the Mazda6 until model year 2008. Ford is rolling it out first in the Edge next month as a 2007, then other models to follow. the first Mazda with that engine is slated to be the CX-9.

·
Registered
403 Posts
There is no 2007 Mazdaspeed 6. It was only a single year production. The Mazdaspeed 3 is the 2007 Mazdaspeed car, and yes its been tweaked from it's original power output. It's now slated to be released at 267 bhp and 280 ft/lbs.

. . . .
[/b]
Crossbow, just curious, where'd you get the 267 HP figure from? Most everything I've read is in 250-255 range. I kinda got the impression they were keeping it line with the MPS6 (ie., non-US) and CX-7 as a more realistically sustainable output. After all have we had any MPS6 drivers report power loss?

·
Registered
391 Posts
i don't think we'll see the Duratec 35 in the Mazda6 until model year 2008. Ford is rolling it out first in the Edge next month as a 2007, then other models to follow. the first Mazda with that engine is slated to be the CX-9.
[/b]
Not to doubt you man but I'd love to know where you're getting information. Not because I think it's untrue, just because I'd like to see it too. :)

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Ford has to ramp up production of the Duratec35. The CX-9, the Edge, the MKX, and the MKZ get it first. Followed by the new Mazda6 and the new Five Hundred (and its' sister-cars) in 2008. The Fusion and its' sister-cars will probably get it in 2009 for their refresh.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
actually, since you ask, there was an article in the Detroit News last week. i posted a link under the Powertrain section. also, my pops is a senior research engineer at the Ford Research Lab, not that i get much info out of him. he's pretty tight lipped with work related scoop.

Ford has to ramp up production of the Duratec35. The CX-9, the Edge, the MKX, and the MKZ get it first. Followed by the new Mazda6 and the new Five Hundred (and its' sister-cars) in 2008. The Fusion and its' sister-cars will probably get it in 2009 for their refresh.
[/b]
the 35 was orginally supposed to debut in the orginal Ford Five Hundred, but was delayed due to internal priorities. Ford wanted to keep the development inside, so it had to wait two years. next we'll have to see how the new Ford "Hurricane" will turn out. it's the new high performance V8, should turn in around 475HP. it's also been delayed a couple of years, probably won't see it until 2009-10 timeframe. it's more for trucks, and maybe Mustang. i double we'll see it in the Fusion/M6 though.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

2008 will either see a second year of the Mazdaspeed 3 (thats my guess), no mazdaspeed car at all, or a mazdaspeed rx8. (Fingers crossed)
[/b]
if HP is a function of torque and speed then how can the same engine put out less HP and the same torque?

I'm not arguing I just don't get how you cut down HP and leave the torque the same.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
if HP is a function of torque and speed then how can the same engine put out less HP and the same torque?

I'm not arguing I just don't get how you cut down HP and leave the torque the same.
[/b]

1> The MS6 is highly under-rated in torque. It's probably more like 325 not 285. Therefore they can reduce horsepower by, say, 10%, and leave torque the same because it wouldn't be incorrect.

2> HP is a function of torque in a given engine, but you can have varying configurations within a single motor that produce varying degrees of each at different RPMs. Truck, for example, will often have the same motors as cars but they will be altered slightly to produce more torque at lower RPMs.

But the real reason is #1.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We wont see a 3.5L V6 until 2008, I saw this from the RX-8 board. Mazda discovered that their manufactuering plant cannot handle the larger new mazda6, they'll need to upgrade the plants and hence the release date is pushed back a year. It was originally planned for a 07 model release.

I am hoping that the AWD drivetrain will make it to the 08 mazda6 as an option.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
sean,

My info's from mazda. It should be publically available in the next few months. You'll have to either wait for the public confirmation, or go by my track record.

Mazda is pushing the MPS 3 to be the fastest car in the lineup. They decided not to stagger the performance much vs the mps 6 due the rapid onset of crazy powerful car's coming out this year. (like the 300 bhp SRT4).

I think it was an excellent decision, especially considering that the MPS 3 will be nearly 500 lbs lighter then an MPS 3. If they price it correctly, it won't ever sit on a lot long enough to test drive.

·
Registered
776 Posts
If they do that to the Mazda3 (put the higher HP figure) I might consider trading my Speed6. That Mazda3 will be one fast SOB. Any word on what body style they will be using (isn't there 2 body styles a Trunk model and a Hatch model)?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
it was first publicly shown at the Geneva Auto Show a couple months back. i think there's a thread somewhere.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

[/b]
You have got to be kidding. That tiny car with that much friggin HP and torque? How do they plan on handling the torque steer since the car will be FWD only? The torque steer on that little bastard will make the torque steer on the V6 Altima or the Maxima look like child's play. Not to mention that it's a hatch, which is inherently less rigid, no?

Your probably right... but I just don't see Mazda releasing a car that will likely cost $7,000 or $6,000 less than the Speed6 that is a higher performer with more utility, since it will be the hatch.

·
Registered
235 Posts
How do they plan on handling the torque steer since the car will be FWD only? The torque steer on that little bastard will make the torque steer on the V6 Altima or the Maxima look like child's play.
[/b]
Are they sticking with FWD on the 08's 6's? With 267 bhp and 280 ft/lbs thats quite a lot for FWD, IMO. Esp, if down the line a few mods come out.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Are they sticking with FWD on the 08's 6's? With 267 bhp and 280 ft/lbs thats quite a lot for FWD, IMO. Esp, if down the line a few mods come out.
[/b]
267HP is for the upcoming Mazdaspeed3, which is due in the fall. It will be a hatch and it will be FWD.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Mazda6guy,

My info is direct from Mazda mazdaspeed development. They will be controlling torque steer by limiting boost in 1st gear to a maximum of 230 whp. The MPS3 will also have a limited slip (I'm assuming its a torsen), and weigh in around 3100 lbs (estimate).

Estimated cost is 24-26k. The only thing I know 100% for sure is the power output. Of course thats dependent on mazda internal politics...but as of right now 267/280 is the final release specs.

Remember that the new FWD SRT4 Caliber has 300 bhp...and thats in an engine known for being heavily underrated. (The old SRT4 was rated around 230 bhp, and it put down 230-240 whp)

·
Registered
297 Posts
If they do that to the Mazda3 (put the higher HP figure) I might consider trading my Speed6. That Mazda3 will be one fast SOB. Any word on what body style they will be using (isn't there 2 body styles a Trunk model and a Hatch model)?
[/b]
You want to drive a 300HP FWD car?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
About this Discussion
58 Replies
24 Participants
turbo matt
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing