Mazda 6 Forums banner

3.0 losing oil from a leak

10K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  chinawa 
#1 ·
I pulled my car in last nite into the garage (threw the wifes car out in the cold for once). I went out there 45m later and there was a drop of oil already on the ground, about the size of a quarter, this morning, a second drop added to it in the same spot. Just peaking under the car, its coming from the front side of the motor, in front of the oil pan. just by judging where the spot is, it would appear to be coming from the oil filter, but i know it is not, that sucker is on good and tight. Think it would be coming from above that point, since my ac compressor (or maybe its my PS pump, gottat take a second look) has oil on it. I plan to jack up my car tonight to see if i can pin point it.

What are the prone oil leaks on the 3.0? It pisses me off that i bought this car and 2 and a half months later it now starts a leak. my old car leaked and i couldnt wait to get a car that wont muck up my drive way, now this.

Oil filter is on hand tight, leak seems to be coming from up top, but the valve cover seems fine?

#2 ·
Could be the power steering. Other points of common interest: front crank seal, oil pan, valve cover(s), cam sensors. Still could be that oil filter...if the gasket is split or something. Hand tight is ok, but rule of thumb is 1 to 1.25 turns after the gasket touches. I'm surprised that you weren't getting an oil burning odor if it's coming off of the oil filter area. Also, has your PCV valve ever been replaced? Lastly, click link: forum link 120605

#3 ·
so precat failure can cause oil leaks?

I changed my PCV about 2000-3000 miles ago with the plugs and COP's. the rear bank plugs had oil on the threads then. But my leak is appearing to be on the front side. If its a front crank seal, do i have to remove the front cover, or i can just remove the crank pulley to get to it?

#6 ·
Took some pics, but looking at them i should of took more. Not sure where the leak is coming from, may be muiltiple spots. Could be a PS leak for all i know, but the fluid level is fine on that. How do you drop the oil pan? I see the exhaust covers the front side of the pan, what section to i unbolt the exhaust at? the manifold right off the head? Also i finally looked closely inside my oil cap and man am i fucked, this lemon has black build up all inside the head, i scraped some off with my finger. This car was neglected, but i was expecting this bad (lack of oil changes on time), i ran seafoam thru it once and the last oil change (2nd one since ive owned) i add a qaurt of Mavels Mystery oil. Guess now with all the shit in there that these cleaning detergents/oils are breaking shit up, cause my leak(s) :( Tempted to trade this in for a newer 6. here are the pics, follow along http://s950.photobucket.com/albums/ad346/F...rent=oil001.jpg

#7 ·
QUOTE (Fatty04 @ Feb 20 2010, 02:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638324
Took some pics, but looking at them i should of took more. Not sure where the leak is coming from, may be muiltiple spots. Could be a PS leak for all i know, but the fluid level is fine on that. How do you drop the oil pan? I see the exhaust covers the front side of the pan, what section to i unbolt the exhaust at? the manifold right off the head? Also i finally looked closely inside my oil cap and man am i fucked, this lemon has black build up all inside the head, i scraped some off with my finger. This car was neglected, but i was expecting this bad (lack of oil changes on time), i ran seafoam thru it once and the last oil change (2nd one since ive owned) i add a qaurt of Mavels Mystery oil. Guess now with all the shit in there that these cleaning detergents/oils are breaking shit up, cause my leak(s) :( Tempted to trade this in for a newer 6. here are the pics, follow along http://s950.photobucket.com/albums/ad346/F...rent=oil001.jpg[/b]
Check your power steering fluid level. I replaced my power steering pressure hose last summer. During winter the hose had a crack. It was leaking so bad on the right side of the engine. Also it looks like its comming from the oil pan gaskets.

#8 ·
It's hard to tell what I'm looking at in those pictures.

The oil residue around the filter looks like old crap with some dirt buildup on it rather than a new leak. Maybe during your last oil change some oil leaked out of the filter and down the front side of the motor. In the one picture it definitely looks like it's coming from the pan gasket but I can't see if there's oil stains above the pan line so I can't say for sure. Try to get pictures of the origin of the oil leak with a shot to show us what in the heck we are looking at.

#9 ·
SOrry about the pics, it was hard to focus on the exact spots. I want to change the oil pan gasket for sure. Anyone know what exact part of the exhaust that i have remove to get to the accessory side of the pan?

#13 ·
Rear main equals remove trans, pain in the a$$.

Rear main equals remove trans, pain in the a$$. My wifes 6 has a hard to find leak somewhere on the left front of the motor which would be the right passenger side in the front. Check PS pump which has oil drips on it. Checked the front crank and it seems to be dry. I'm afraid it might be the front timing cover. :frown2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.