Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Reading Topic: 3.0 Draing Plug Torque?

Tight, but not too tight.

Sorry, but honestly I've never heard of a person using a torque wrench on an oil drain plug. But I have seen some that needed a breaker bar to get lose.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The very reason that you have never heard of a person using a torque wrench on an oil drain plug is exactly why I never let anyone touch my lug nuts or drain plugs. I have had bad experiences ranging from cross threading, to stripping, leaking, and coming loose.

I am an engineer, and worked as a Pontiac tech while in school, and I can tell you every bolt has a proper torque. Being the anal type, I like to torque all my nuts and bolts to the proper specified torque, especially drain plugs. So, if anyone has access to the FSM for the Mazda6, please post the drain plug torque.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic '3.0 Draing Plug Torque?'

Originally posted by Kristoff
So, if anyone has access to the FSM for the Mazda6, please post the drain plug torque.[/b]
Sorry, I was just kidding. It just struck me as funny. The Factory Service Manual does not exist as of yet. Your Service manager may be able to get the specs from Mazda on their computer but I wouldn't count on it.

Richard at Mazda South has spent the last two days trying to dig up a wiring diagram for my fog light problem. (great guy) It took my local SM almost three weeks to verify that you can't adjust the front camber and caster on a 6.

Here is the spec for a 2002 Miata if that would help

Tightening torque
30—41 N·m {3.0—4.2 kgf·m, 22—30 ft·lbf}

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

My Supra was 18 lb-ft. I'm with Kristoff. I'd like to know the torque spec as well. Not tight enough = slow leak. Too tight = stripped threads. Price out a drain pan with install labor. That might convince people to torque their drain plug to spec. :p

What kind of gasket are you using, Kristoff? Standard issue from Mazda?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

1991 and older..... I owned a 1990 Grand Am with a 180 HP Quad 4 H.O. Good engine, if you don't mind changing head gaskets every 30K miles. That was a fun car, and the last good looking Grand Am- IMHO. Now, all Pontiacs look the same. Even the new GTO looks the same---boring.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I have actually gotten the Answer from Mazda USA:

22-30 N·m {2.2-3.0 kgf·m, 16.3-21.6 ft·lbf}

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

IIRC, when I changed the oil, the drain plug uses a soft plastic seal insead of the more normal metal crush washer. Could be the reason for the lower setting. Don't be suprised by how long the threads are on the plug.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Yeah, it has a rubberized seal on the plug itself.

Also, even with your warning about the length of the plug, I was still surprised. That sucker is long--about twice as long as the one in my Durango.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts