Mazda 6 Forums banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
I can tell you what really drags the mileage down on my '09 V6. I was carrying a trunk full of luggage and probably more importantly a bicycle on a hitch rack.

I normally got a about 31 mpg average on the trip from Chicago to St. Louis. With everything I described above I had about 27/28 mpg.

So weight and aerodynamics really effects the MPGs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow so you've gotten 28-31 on the highway with the 2nd gen V6? If so, that's really good.

My wife has the car most of the time during the week so I wouldn't be surprised if she could get close to 20mpg in the city out of it. I really don't like the feel of the CVT in Nissans or the interior so I'm down to the 2nd gen 6 3.7 and the Altima 3.5SE (2010 and up only require 87 octane).

·
Registered
924 Posts
Wow so you've gotten 28-31 on the highway with the 2nd gen V6? If so, that's really good.

My wife has the car most of the time during the week so I wouldn't be surprised if she could get close to 20mpg in the city out of it. I really don't like the feel of the CVT in Nissans or the interior so I'm down to the 2nd gen 6 3.7 and the Altima 3.5SE (2010 and up only require 87 octane).
Click on my Fuelly Icon in the signature below and you can see. It was actually 30.7 mpg.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I did already, thanks buddy. There's always a price to pay when you combine curb weight, gearing and desired acceleration but the 3.7 doesn't really do too bad in real life if you keep your foot out of it.

What's funny is that in an older Edmunds.com 3 way review, they say the Mazda 6 v6 actually had slightly better real world fuel economy than the Altima 3.5 CVT and the 8th gen Accord v6 auto ('08 AV6 IIRC).

Jeremy

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just about never get on the highway unless the whole family is inside and the trunk is full of luggage. This will result in approximately 30mpg using Massachusetts gas and 32mpg using New Jersey gas. I don't know why this is, but for over 10 years I've noticed that New Jersey gas delivers superior gas mileage over any gas I can buy in MA. In February, the day before we left for vacation I did something I just about never do; I drove our car with no passengers and no luggage up to NH to buy a 128GB Verizon iPad in Sales-Tax-Free New Hampshire. I couldn't believe what my trip computer was telling me. 36mpg highway mileage! With MA gas, no less! I guess leaving the wife, kids, and luggage home and not using A/C really makes a difference.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sounds good, though your family may not appreciate being left behind no matter what the fuel savings lol...

Maybe with the new style 6 out, I can find a good deal on the '11+ 3.7...it seems the gearing maybe taller to help with that extra 2mpg per the EPA.

I think I've made up my mind, thanks fellas!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm at around 26.6 mpg with my 2010 M6 manual trans, I do coast in neutral a lot on the highway (hehe), and I do a lot of mixed city/highway driving. V4 engine

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a 2010 M6 with 2.5 and MT on the 5 of July. I had rented a 2012 2.5 w/ AT and took a 300 mile trip to WVA. Lots of hills, but got 31 mpg. I liked the car but it did seem to downshift quite alot. So I decided I could get better mpg if I got the MT. I did notice that I was doing 60 mph @ 2000 rpm which was a higher gear ratio than my Mazda 626s. I found the 2010 M6, at CarMax and it had 26K miles and the price was right. On the test drive, I noticed I was only going 45 MPH @ 2000 RPM. Some what disappointed I was leary. CarMax gives you a 5 day test drive, sort of, but you have to actually buy the car first, than they will refund all your money if you decide you don't want it. So I gave in and used the five days to evaluate the MPG. I used coasting and slow acelerations and other tricks but finally got 34.4 MPG. The computer had calculated around 30. So I kept the car. Took it on a trip from VA. to Myrtle Beach, Got my wallet stolen while there, but on the highway part of the trip I got 30 -32 and around the beach I got 23.6. Generally I get between 28 and 31. We have alot of highway driving in this area, but I find that I get my best milage on the back road under 55mph when I can coast. My 626s have 2.2 engines w MT and get 29-31 mpg no matter how much Zoom Zoom you do. As you well know with the M6 it doesn't take much Zoom-Zoom to pull those numbers down. I drove this 2012 Altima w/ 2.5 CVT. It had way more zoom zoom than the M6 and got over 30 mpg but didn't ride or look as nice as the M6, plus the trunk space was 2 cu' smaller. If the Mazda only had the power band where the Nissan did, you'd really have something.

Dave in VA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, my average is 45 MPG, when careful it is possible to have 51-56 MPG but loosing lot of joy.

I have 2009 Mazda6 2.2d Sport 185hbp 400Nm (power increased (box) to 220hbp, 480Nm).

121 - 131 of 131 Posts