Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Wow, I thought your numbers would be better, but then again I suppose half of you guys haven't even broke in the car yet lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm seeing about an extra 1mpg for every 20 degrees of temperature increase. :yesnod: Up to almost 28 now. The a/c will fix this trend though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My only comment is that with a manual on my 1st Gen S I could pull 28 MPG, on my 2nd Gen I I can only pull about 26 MPG...Somewhat disappointed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've put about 400 miles on my car and am averaging I think around 18 mpg in very heavy stop and go traffic (NOVA, i95 corridor).

·
Registered
4 Posts
2009 Mazda6 4 cyl manual. Last 4 tanks averaged: 29.4, 29.6, 29.7 & 29.6. Mostly highway driving with little A/C usage.

This vehicle "coasts" better than any other I've ever driven. The last half of most city blocks I have the clutch pushed in and am moving at or near the speed limit with the rpm's at idle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow, I thought the 2009 6 got better gas mileage... :(

I have a 2007 6 2.3L 30.000 miles auto that gets 23 - 24 mpg with 50/50 city/hwy. I have a chance to buy a 2009 6 2.5L auto
for about $4000 to $5000 cash plus my 07 trade-in.

Do you guys think it's worth it? I figured a brand new 6 for that kind of money plus extra gas mileage would be worth it, but
now, I'm not sure... :huh:

What say you?

Also, does anyone know any way to improve the mileage i.e. chip, exhaust etc?

Thanks for your time,

- jdocster :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm getting 26 mpg suburban with the 2.5 4 cylinder and automatic trans with 9000 mi. on car. I haven't reset the mpg setting since about 1500 miles, so this is a pretty good estimation of what you can expect if you drive conservatively. Otherwise you're probably looking at 23-24.

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE (Ricky Bobby @ Apr 29 2009, 04:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1554004
I'm getting 26 mpg suburban with the 2.5 4 cylinder and automatic trans with 9000 mi. on car. I haven't reset the mpg setting since about 1500 miles, so this is a pretty good estimation of what you can expect if you drive conservatively. Otherwise you're probably looking at 23-24.[/b]
I've been averaging 31-32mpg 60% hwy / 40% city-suburban - A/C 1/2 the time. I'm not a hard core hypermiler but I avoid hard accleration if I can, adjust my speed and coast to stops, and shift to the highest gear possible without lugging the engine. It's just me in the car. I got 34mpg 100% hwy. When I had my Dad and a trunk and back seat full of junk on the trip from PA to NC, I still got 31mpg.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Will the 2010 Mazda 6 still get the "start stop" technology? I read about it a while back on autoblog.com and I think that will boost MPG another 10% (basically another 2-2.5 mpg). That's not bad. I was waiting for the 2010 anyway just so they could work out all the bugs that a first year model has.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Um, abandoning ethanol will be a 10% boost :roll:

Anyhoo, before I had to use the A/C, I was solidly at 25.7 ---- it's low 25s now that I have to turn on the air conditioning.

I do *NOT* avoid fast starts; I tend to lay on the throttle, so the "epa estimates" are pretty conservative, since I can land in between them.

-Ernie
(M/T 2.5, US Spec)

·
Registered
4 Posts
First tank of gas on 2009 2.5L, 6 sp manual. Driving was 20% / 80% - Suburban / Highway, AC on 20%. Varied driving style between very conservative to slightly "spirited" (was trying to get the feel of the car). A few times, I forgot there was a 6th gear.

28.2 MPG (US). This was manually computed with a topped-off tank.

FYI: I also have a 2007, 2.3L, 5M with 30,000 (US) miles driven the same as above. I've logged every mileage since day one. Average is 30.5 MPG +/- 1.7. Winter mileage is always the low end and it seems to love warm weather. I keep tires about 8-10% higher than rated door-jam sticker. I always accelerate smoothly and get into the highest gear possible without under-revving (lugging) the engine. As traffic behind me permits, I coast into stops either dead-stick or in the last gear it was in, depending on the desired deceleration.

Once I get used to the new 2009, I think it will do just as well as the 2007. -Not bad considering it's bigger, heavier and 20 more horsepower.

I really like this car and if it treats me as well as my 2007, I'll stick with Mazdas for the foreseeable future (Maybe 26 years like I did with Toyotas).

...Ray...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've done a lot of different kinds of driving... Road tripped from DC to Phoenix and got anywhere between 30-35 mpg on the trip with use of the A/C.... when I'm doin city drivin around Phoenix I can get anywhere between 20-25 mpg

2009 i SV MTX

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quick Update...

The 2009 Mazda 6 (4cyl, 6 speed manual) has 3000 miles now. Gas mileage has been extremely consistent between 31.2 to 31.9 MPG (manually measured; miles driven / gallons used). Can't complain about that! Same driving conditions as mentioned below. The cold tire pressure is set at 33.5 PSI. The 6th gear took a little getting used to and still have to hunt n peck once in a while driving in town. After installing a K & N air filter there was a slight difference (increase) in performance when taking off from a dead stop. It will get synthetic oil when it needs an oil change -maybe that will bump the economy up a bit and that would be frosting on the cake!

Great car...

QUOTE (EmSix @ Jun 25 2009, 12:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1576927
First tank of gas on 2009 2.5L, 6 sp manual. Driving was 20% / 80% - Suburban / Highway, AC on 20%. Varied driving style between very conservative to slightly "spirited" (was trying to get the feel of the car). A few times, I forgot there was a 6th gear.

28.2 MPG (US). This was manually computed with a topped-off tank.

FYI: I also have a 2007, 2.3L, 5M with 30,000 (US) miles driven the same as above. I've logged every mileage since day one. Average is 30.5 MPG +/- 1.7. Winter mileage is always the low end and it seems to love warm weather. I keep tires about 8-10% higher than rated door-jam sticker. I always accelerate smoothly and get into the highest gear possible without under-revving (lugging) the engine. As traffic behind me permits, I coast into stops either dead-stick or in the last gear it was in, depending on the desired deceleration.

Once I get used to the new 2009, I think it will do just as well as the 2007. -Not bad considering it's bigger, heavier and 20 more horsepower.

I really like this car and if it treats me as well as my 2007, I'll stick with Mazdas for the foreseeable future (Maybe 26 years like I did with Toyotas).

...Ray...[/b]

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've got a 2009 i GT w/ a little over 3000K on it now.

My 1st trip (~500 miles highway) I got about 28 MPG. When my wife drives it now, she gets a city/hwy average of low 24s. I usually get in the low 25s combined. Neither of us goes all that easy on the gas pedal but she accelerates quite a bit harder than I do and it shows in her gas mileage. My other ride is a Mercury Mountaineer that gets about 15 MPG average so I'm pretty happy with 24-25 average.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll add another data point. 2009, Mazda6i GT, automatic, getting 23-24 mpg with probably 65% hwy, 35% city. Kinda disappointing...

On a long trip I went on at constant 72mph I got 30 mpg, still not great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can check out my fuelly site in my sig to get some info about my mpg. It has steadily been getting better for about the past 9 months now. I did my first big trip which was around 70 miles both ways and was able to get around 35mpg both ways. Averaged out this tank is a bit over 27mpg right now.

I shot myself in the foot for a while though because I kept the defroster and foot vent on to circulate air in the car but did not know that the air conditioner went on when I did this. Now that I've figured that out mpg has gone up 2+ mpg since. :drive:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't know how accurate the calculation is on my first tank since it was dealer filled, but I went a total of 365 mostly city miles and filled the current tank to 16.7 gallons for a total MPG of just under 22. This is a little disapointing and will hopefully improve after break in. My 2009 6 I Sport with 6spd. only has 500 miles on it currently. It is a very fun car to drive, and I have enjoyed the last three weeks since I purchased it greatly.

21 - 40 of 131 Posts
About this Discussion
130 Replies
84 Participants
Rafal
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing