Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
I'm over in the UK with a 3 month old Mazda 6. Our Mazda's don't have any sort of beep to indicate when the doors lock. Just a flash of the lights. You can't hear the doors lock, or double lock so unless you make a conscious effort to look at the indicator lights, you end up going back and checking the doors.

What i intend to do is wire in a beep / buzzer to the double lock signal which goes to the door lock. I'll give it a bit of delay so it beeps for about a second.

Unfortunately, there are no UK manuals available so i'm doing a bit of begging to you guys in the US. Would anyone with a manual be willing to scan the pages which cover removal of the door panel as i'm struggling to work out how it comes off. Internet info only seems to apply to the Gen1.

I've asked for a central door locking wiring diagram in another part of the forum.

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can offer and as i know the manuals would have cost you money in the first place, i'd be quite happy to pay any costs by Paypal.

Thanks

Huggy

·
Registered
658 Posts
i'd strongly suggest pming michaelsteinbach as he was kind enough to scan the entire workshop manual for us and has it in a viewable pdf form.

however, to remove the door you want to lift up the coin tray mat in the door, remove that screw. remove the screw behind the door handle and then gently starting at one side behind to pop the clips out. once the clips have been removed then lift the door trim up towards the glass and you should be able to get in there for whatever you need.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey, huggy,
I've checked my manuals. The very last page is about personalization features and the last feature is your: sound when door is locked. It set "on" by default and can be deactivated if customer wants but only by Authorized Dealer
Well, this is here in USA and mayby in GB it is opposite.
Before you begin to dissect the door, try to use common therapy.

In addition: I can send you PDF file of manuals when I know your email (for free)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Oldman,
I've found we do have a few differences between our European spec and yours.
We only have this option on the models with the keyless entry system which auto lock / unlock when you are in the vicinity of the car. (Sport and SL models).

The other models (S, TS and TS2) have a keyfob remote control and there is no option for a warning sound even on the Mazda machine. My Mazda dealer tried but there was no option in the list and the handbook confirms it.

Many thanks for your offer. I'll pm my e-mail to you.
Huggy

PS Just in case anyone else is reading this, our engine variants are also different.
We have 1.8 2.0 & 2.5 petrol and 2.0 2.2 turbo diesels.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Huggy, don't rub it in, Euro-spec cars usually get turbo-diesels & V6 w/ manual transmissions . . .

Door panels are generally the same in modern cars:
1) the plastic near the glass either comes off FIRST or LAST; and pries off if you pull it gently

2) There are usually at least two screws, one behind the door handle plate and another under a rubber trim piece at the bottom of the pull-close handle of the door (the gen2 US Spec model is like this) Other cars sometimes have screws lower in the panel as well, but not usually concealed so you can see them

3) When you pull the panel, you usually do so from the bottom; get your fingers behind it, and leverage it towards you to 'pop' the clips

4) when you get the panel swinging towards you, and upwards, the top generally lifts straight out

Depending on your car this can be easier/harder; my sister's 2009 Forester opened almost exactly the same way the Mazda6 does, but unless you're sure where everything is, it feels like you're breaking the door while you're doing it.

If it bothers you enough, you may want to pay for an hour's worth of labor at a good, reputable stereo shop that does security system installs. They can easily add a module that'll do something like this.

The thing that is nice (and sort of sucks) about our cars is the BCM -- it centralizes most functionality (making some interesting 'programing' available), but also obfuscates the problem since everything isn't run just off relays you can tap.

-Ernie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Many thanks Ernie. I'll be giving it a go over the next day or two.
As for the Euro spec cars...... we want the things that the US version has, and it appears that US owners like the Euro spec.

I'm sure they could keep us all happy just by taking the best bits out of both.

As for the diesels. Never had one before but it gives me 45 miles per gallon. At £5.00 per gallon (about $7.50) i don't think i can afford to go back to regular unleaded petrol.

·
Registered
659 Posts
What in god's name could we possibly have that you'd want? :eek:

TurboDiesels are like Straight 6 and H4/H6 engines, they just have different torque curves. Don't remember if it's here or another forum, but they are reportedly NOT for city traffic . . .

Anyhoo, let us know how it turns out.

-Ernie

·
Registered
36 Posts
They make a special tool for popping the clips out of the door skin. Looks like a skinny flat set of pliers, any autoparts store carries them. I normally do not see the need to use one, but these suckers are in there very tight. You can pry to get enough idea to see where they are. Two screws, one under the little rubber mat on the door pull, the other behind the latch handle trim. I think I would have broke the plastic, as is I left two of the little white plastic pieces in the sheet metal, and those definitely needed the tool to get out in one piece. Generally they pop out easier the second time around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts