Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do we know exactly what brand/model the OEM HIDs are?

I'm guessing some sort of Philips (ordered a pair off Amazon, but reviews say some are different models with not exactly the same colors).

$200/bulb from Mazda? I can only assume this includes a full concourse detail . . .
As I just replaced these last week, I know for sure they are German-made Phillps D2S model #85122 (NOT 85122+), at least for a 2012 Mazda 6. After extensive research, I changed them out to the Osram D2S CBI model-widely available for $185/pair.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found these reverse LEDs on amazon and they are very cheap compared to other sites talked about in this thread.

2x JDM Style 6000K Xenon White LED 360 Degree Shine

Do they look like a good thing to try? Ever dealt with a Hong Kong dealer?
They also state "Not D.O.T approved" is that normal for led light swaps?
New to doing mods, just looking for any input that may help.
Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
They also state "Not D.O.T approved" is that normal for led light swaps?
Just a note about this one: About 99.9% of OEM-to-LED swaps are not technically "D.O.T. approved", meaning that they are technically illegal. However, I've gone through two NY-state inspections without a single thing being mentioned about them, nor have I been pulled over for them either. IMO as long as you are trying to maintain the "stock" look with your LEDs, chances are you'll never have a problem with law enforcement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a note about this one: About 99.9% of OEM-to-LED swaps are not technically "D.O.T. approved", meaning that they are technically illegal. However, I've gone through two NY-state inspections without a single thing being mentioned about them, nor have I been pulled over for them either. IMO as long as you are trying to maintain the "stock" look with your LEDs, chances are you'll never have a problem with law enforcement.
That's what I figured. As of right now I'm just looking at reverse lights so I know that isn't going to be an issue with law. I was just curious for future reference. Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ghost ---- are you saying you're using LED Headlights? Can you link to the post?

If it wasn't for this post, I'd be crying `bishop` on the topic . . . I'm a Huge opponent of RiceLights (TM). So many cars on the road blinding other people that can't see as well as with an OEM setup . . . that's Westchester/Fairfield though.

Let us know.

·
Administrator
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Ghost ---- are you saying you're using LED Headlights?
No. I've got the OEM HIDs. I'm talking about the use of LEDs within the turn signals, reverse lights, license plate lights, side markers, etc.

AFAIK, there really aren't many aftermarket choices for LED headlights at this time, and the ones that are out there are too dim and not adequate for the job.

·
Registered
659 Posts
No. I've got the OEM HIDs. I'm talking about the use of LEDs within the turn signals, reverse lights, license plate lights, side markers, etc.

AFAIK, there really aren't many aftermarket choices for LED headlights at this time, and the ones that are out there are too dim and not adequate for the job.
Right; That's where I was going, but didn't want to crap on you if you'd found something else :D

I was *really* big on hid retrofits/replacements until I really got into understanding how it all works. Basically, proper replacements and OEM parts cost a fortune for a reason. I'm all for doing it if people can do it right.

For turns, I assume you put the load simulators in so they don't flash fast?

I did my backup lights with some expensive and they're just not any brighter than stock.

·
Administrator
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
For turns, I assume you put the load simulators in so they don't flash fast?
Definitely. Nothing infuriates me more than seeing some ricer throw in some LED bulbs without the resistors. Looks like sh!t...

When I installed LEDs in all four corners, I ended up installing the 3-ohm, 50 watt resistors to the wiring for the tails. MUCH easier access to the wiring (instead of trying to access/wire them in front), and they easily hide behind the trunk liner.
I did my backup lights with some expensive and they're just not any brighter than stock.
I used these from V-LED. At the time (2+ years ago), they were the brightest available on the market, and they're STILL very bright.

A couple images from my thread:

FAR superior than OEMs, that's for sure! :)

This was two years ago. I'm sure the brightness of the current crop of LEDs puts these to shame, at a lower price...

·
Registered
659 Posts
I used these from V-LED. At the time (2+ years ago), they were the brightest available on the market, and they're STILL very bright.

FAR superior than OEMs, that's for sure! :)

This was two years ago. I'm sure the brightness of the current crop of LEDs puts these to shame, at a lower price...
I got those back when you suggested them before. I should explain my comment:
They're whiter. They're brighter in places . . . but I could see better over a range of area with the incandescent I had before that; I'm assuming it's because the reflector bowl is designed for a single-source, full-angle filament vs. being optimize for the multiple LEDs on the bulb.

I just wish they'd put spotlights on the back :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi, i have a new to me 2011 mazda6 i. I am trying to find out what kind of bulbs does my car have? I just had one on the driver side go out for no reason. I can tell you i don't have the bottom lights on my car. thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Look at the buttons on the left of the steering wheel where the trunk release, "INFO" and "DSC" buttons are. Do you see a dial that lets you adjust your beam height? If you do, they're likely HIDs and if you don't they're most likely Halogens.

From the first post of this thread:

Low beam headlamp
Halogen: H7
HID: D2S

High beam headlamp
2009-2010: H9
2011-2013: 9005

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just an update -- replaced the bulb and it appears as if my driver's headlight occasionally doesn't come on. Good times, good times . . .

I love this car, but it's getting a more German feel to me lately . . . nice to have, nice to drive, but no guarantee everything is going to stay working.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts