Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured that we should at least get this within one thread to help the 2nd-gen owners.

Low beam headlamp
Halogen: H7
HID: D2S

High beam headlamp
2009-2010: H9
2011-2013: 9005

Parking light/Front turn signal 7444NA
(7443 will work as well)

Rear turn signal 3757A
(3157 will work as well)

Tail light/Stop light 3057 or LED

High mount stop light LED

Fog/Driving light H11
(Can also use H9 (more lumens/brighter), check here.)

License plate 194

Back up light

Front sidemarker 168

Rear sidemarker 3057 or LED
(same as tail/stop light)

Map light 175

Dome/Puddle light

2009-2010: DE3175 (LED conversion here.)
2011-2013: W5W (194/168)

Step/Courtesy light

Trunk light 74

Can the rear taillight housings with filament stop/tail bulbs be swapped out for the housings with LED stop/tail bulbs?
Yes, they are direct plug-and-play swaps (check here for more info).

If anyone has any more info that they feel needs to be included here, let me know, and I'll post it up above.

Conversely, if ANYONE has any questions/issues with lighting that hasn't been addressed here, post up your questions, and we'll try and help out out, or point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im having trouble removing my license plate lights, i took the fabric cover off the inside of the trunk. I checked the owners manual and it doesnt really help. I can pull the plugs out but cant get the actual lights out. I was wondering if you knew how to remove them?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Im having trouble removing my license plate lights, i took the fabric cover off the inside of the trunk. I checked the owners manual and it doesnt really help. I can pull the plugs out but cant get the actual lights out. I was wondering if you knew how to remove them?
You need to grab the grey light socket still located on the trunk, with a quarter turn to the left and they should pop right out. Depending on the type of LED used, it may not face down after you reinstall it. I had to sand down the light socket on certain sections to get the LED to shine down. If I didn't, it would have shined to the side. Let me know if you have any difficulty.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Glad you were able to get the old bulb out. It really cleans up the look over the tags. Everywhere I drive now I see other tags as ugly. LED only for me.

·
Administrator
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Does anyone know what type of bulb is for the DRL lights in the NA 6's?

·
Registered
224 Posts
What type of bulb is in the trunk?

·
Registered
667 Posts
The #74 adapter from V-leds is perfect. Plug and play...just attach a led strip to it and you're good to go.

Tommy, great pic. Too bad that bulb is absolutely useless in our trunk. It might have been ok if there were 10 of them in there.

·
Registered
924 Posts
The #74 adapter from V-leds is perfect. Plug and play...just attach a led strip to it and you're good to go.

Tommy, great pic. Too bad that bulb is absolutely useless in our trunk. It might have been ok if there were 10 of them in there.
It's not my picture. I found it on Google...

I agree 100% about the bulb being useless. I did do the LED strip upgrade.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a question re DRL and high beam. My 2012 6 uses the same bulb for DRL as it does for high beam. Can I still replace with an LED? I'm looking at a WHITE H11 H8 H9 68-SMD LED Fog Light/Daytime Running Light Bulbs, https://www.extremebrightleds.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=H11%2D68SMD%2DW

BTW if anyone can explain to me how to create a hiperlink like the one above and instead of copy/paste the whole thing like I did and just have BULB and that be the link I'd appreciate it, I know that''s probably a question for an IT forum... but I'm new to planet earth.

Also BTW, the above site is great for all your LED needs, they seem to have everything. He's located near Toronto so I can meet him to pick up but he says most of his clients are in the States and he has mastered the delivery process. And no, I am in no way associated with him or the site, just a happy client.

FYI, anyone with the same, the replacement for H9 above can be used to replace the DRL's but the high beam mode would only be slightly brighterand then DRL mode (say 100 for DRL and 120 for highbeam, the stock bulb with 100 DRL and 200 highbeam). Doin all new LED's, will open another post. Mazda seems to have made it much easier to mod the lights on the 2012 6!

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have a question re DRL and high beam. My 2012 6 uses the same bulb for DRL as it does for high beam. Can I still replace with an LED? I'm looking at a WHITE H11 H8 H9 68-SMD LED Fog Light/Daytime Running Light Bulbs, https://www.extremebrightleds.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=H11%2D68SMD%2DW .

BTW if anyone can explain to me how to create a hiperlink like the one above and instead of copy/paste the whole thing like I did and just have BULB and that be the link I'd appreciate it, I know that''s probably a question for an IT forum... but I'm new to planet earth.

Also BTW, the above site is great for all your LED needs, they seem to have everything. He's located near Toronto so I can meet him to pick up but he says most of his clients are in the States and he has mastered the delivery process. And no, I am in no way associated with him or the site, just a happy client.

FYI, anyone with the same, the replacement for H9 above can be used to replace the DRL's but the high beam mode would only be slightly brighterand then DRL mode (say 100 for DRL and 120 for highbeam, the stock bulb with 100 DRL and 200 highbeam). Doin all new LED's, will open another post. Mazda seems to have made it much easier to mod the lights on the 2012 6!
Your high-beams are really going to suffer with those LED's versus Halogen Bulbs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Your high-beams are really going to suffer with those LED's versus Halogen Bulbs.
Ya I know, not gonna bother. That's why I gave reference to the stock bulb being 100 DRL mode/200 high beam mode and the LED's would be 100 DRL mode/120 high beam mode.

Like I said, I'll be opening a new thread for my new lights. Already done the rear signals, will be doing front switchbacks, already purchased, and buying front markers, puddle, courtesy, maps and reverse on Friday and hopefully can get them all installed Saturday. I am having a very difficult time getting the door courtesy lights to come out! They get hot quick so can't do it with bare fingers, tried gloves and not enough grip to pull, gonna try and rig a tool of some sort to get enough grip without breaking it. Any suggestions? Not much room for my big fingers in the little opening...

·
Registered
924 Posts
I am having a very difficult time getting the door courtesy lights to come out! They get hot quick so can't do it with bare fingers, tried gloves and not enough grip to pull, gonna try and rig a tool of some sort to get enough grip without breaking it. Any suggestions? Not much room for my big fingers in the little opening...
What I did was close the door and let them cool down. Then open the door and quickly pull the bulb out with your fingers before it has a chance to heat up.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts