Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically, I am trying to keep my Mazda on the road because I love driving it up until now. I have not had to spend a lot of money on my 6 to keep it in tip top shape. I like tinkering around and so can do some minor repairs myself. For example, I replaced the spark plugs and ignition coil boot sets this summer. I also replace the throttlebody and MAF sensor this summer without any assistance - other than YouTube. But that was stretching my skill set. This latest problem with the transmission is way out of my pay grade for sure. I have taken it to a local transmission shop that comes highly recommended. He did give me a great discounted price on the Transmission Control Module which he purchased directly from our local Mazda dealer parts department. He also only charges me $90 per hour labour which is good in Ontario, Canada considering that the dealer wants $165 per hour. But to the point, after replacing the TCM last week the D light is still intermittently coming on late as I start to drive the car. The car seems to hesitate almost as if the first gear is slipping. After a few seconds or minutes the D light will come back on usually and all is back to normal. However, this D light flash tends to increase in the number of times that it occurs as the days and weeks go by. So I was going to go ahead and order a new remanufactured transmission from the dealer and have the transmission shop install it. My only concern is that there may be another electrical issue that is at play here impacting the transmission operation and the dash D light. By the way if I switch over to Manual drive mode when the D light is not showing on the dash the AT light illuminates on the dash. I just want the car fixed and to be reliable, I can't stand this back and forth and back and forth nonsense. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
My suggestion is to go back to the guy who installed the TCM. He might know an easy fix, a sort of "back job warranty".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts