Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to revert to OEM stock so that I can take my Speed6 in for warranty work. My 2nd gear will half the time go in like normal, half the time you pull into 2nd and let the clutch out and it grinds out of gear. The feel is like this.....
You know you pull the shifter into a gate to get in a gear and you feel it pass the resistance and it goes to the point where it will naturally fall into the gate on its own......sometimes it goes past that point of resistance to where it goes the rest of the way naturally.........and some times I feel it barely get to the very peak of the resistance and it stops solid there. I know when I feel this that its going to pop out. I have even attempted to hold it back in gear with my hand just to mess around....and when I lean on it a bit it will pull my hand forward and start to grind as it leaves the gear.

1600 miles.

I have to strip the intake, water/meth system, boost control, and a few more things. I wonder if its purely a linkage issue, or if its sync failure? Any one else seeing this kind of issue? I have been driving this car hard and pulling off a good deal of full throttle 6000 rpm power shifts thru all 6 gears, but with only a couple miles on it I dont hardly think that is the issue. I have beat on many cars just as hard for many thousands of miles and not had a tranny failure......I hope this is simply a fluke! BTW I do think I may have a busted engine mount as well......but I am not going to mention that. I'll take care of that the old fashioned way.....in the shop.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think you answered your own question. This is a first year untested drivetrain, with mechanical failures already documented on this forum. Not to mention 6000 rpm powershifts are not good for any stock drivetrain.

Cam

·
Registered
329 Posts
Mine had the exact same problem except mine was third gear. It happened when the car was still totally stock though. They ended up replacing the clutch, pressure plate, T/O bearing and the entire transmission.

Just as an FYI, the dealership had to order the transmisson from Japan and it took over a week so you might want to start planning backup transportation.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I've grinded third gear a few times even though I could've sworn my clutch was all the way. I wonder if it's the start of this problem...

Flyingm, did yours do it half the time like the OP or not as often?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really think its a linkage issue not a mechanicle failure. I am not mad at any rate, crap happens from time to time when your playing with toys. I would very discouraged if the trans was seeing damage at 1600 miles from 10 or 15 hard launch's, cause I plan on doing 10 or 15 thousand more! I fig I may as well share the issue with ya'all and see if it is a common complaint that I may have missed. I'll get it looked at in a week or two, I have to sort out the time from paying work to get the car turned back to stock. If it gets too bad I'll just start skip shifting from 1st to 3rd and stop looking for cars to race around with and annoy.....lol....

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well mine started out grinding third when shifting spiritedly every once in a while almost straight off the lot. After about 7.5k miles it was to a point where any time there wasn't a load on the engine it would pop out of gear.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Well mine started out grinding third when shifting spiritedly every once in a while almost straight off the lot. After about 7.5k miles it was to a point where any time there wasn't a load on the engine it would pop out of gear.
[/b]

yeah, mine's like that, if I am kinda accelerating quick, once in a while it would grind. I should hope it's not going to develop into a popping out problem. Or maybe if it becomes that bad, I can get it replaced.

Let us know how it goes with the dealer after you change it back to stock. =)

·
Registered
856 Posts
I had this problem at 8k miles.
2nd gear would go in just fine, but as soon as you took load off of it it would pop right out, next to impossible to hold in gear with your hand.
Took it to the dealer and they replaced the transmission and shift cables. I strongly believe its a serious synchro failure. They did in fact have to order a new transmission from Japan, I was without my car for a month. No problems since.

·
Registered
386 Posts
When I went to zoom zoom live I spoke with a employe there about the biggest problems they have seen on the speed6s at the events. He said that 2nd gear was popping out on alot of them.when i asked him why he thought this was happening he said that there was a weight in the engine bay the is attached to the shifter. and he thinks that with some hard stops and fast starts that it is wearing out the synchros fast. I noticed this weight when I had the cai installed. I removed mine , two 10 mm bolts I think. shifting is a little bit lighter feeling but i could see how that weight could move around alot, its pretty heavy. I also think i saw p5freak removed his a while ago. And some aussie that bought a speed3.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I only grind when I wear boots (work boots style), but never with any other shoes??????

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
When I went to zoom zoom live I spoke with a employe there about the biggest problems they have seen on the speed6s at the events. He said that 2nd gear was popping out on alot of them.when i asked him why he thought this was happening he said that there was a weight in the engine bay the is attached to the shifter. and he thinks that with some hard stops and fast starts that it is wearing out the synchros fast. I noticed this weight when I had the cai installed. I removed mine , two 10 mm bolts I think. shifting is a little bit lighter feeling but i could see how that weight could move around alot, its pretty heavy. I also think i saw p5freak removed his a while ago. And some aussie that bought a speed3.
[/b]

any chance of getting a pic of where this weight is. i wouldnt mind taking it out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
any chance of getting a pic of where this weight is. i wouldnt mind taking it out.
[/b]
Pop the hood look on the drivers side of the engine, just between the battery and the engine. Look down a bit, and there she is over top of the trasmission....the semi-circle cast steel (?) thing on the shift linkage. Have your pal or you wife move the shifter from gear to gear and you will see it move. If ya cant find that on your own with just a pal/wife moving the shifter.....shut the hood and walk away!....lol.....

Honestly, with a stock airbox it is sort of hidden under the airbox, but with a cold air intake its screaming "Hello!" at the top of its lungs while wearing a fuzzy pink sweater.....very obvious.

I think I read some place that P5 actually cut some amount of his weight off, but left some portion intact. If it was him I am remembering, he said it allowed a much faster shift transition from one gear to the next.

·
Registered
386 Posts
[/b]

Ok here it is. I took this pic from the forum. when you take a look at it you will see how heavy this really is and how it would cause movement of the shifter with fast stops and starts. [attachmentid=16925]

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
So is this weight in place for shift "Feel" only (similar to shift knob)?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So is this weight in place for shift "Feel" only (similar to shift knob)?
[/b]
That is what I am guessing it is for...the feel. So when you shift it has the expected feel of a 69 Torina 429 SUper Cobra Jet......

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2004 Mazda 6 V6 (tranny pops out of 2nd). It only occurs when the engine is at a higher RPM and an extra amount of torque is placed on the engine and mounts by accelerating and/or decelerating quickly. I am certain it is a linkage issue caused by the engine shifting on its mounts slightly from the torque. I'm looking at possibly taking the counter-weight off as suggested by leakslikeasieve (thank you),... or adjusting the linkage. Adjusting the linkage may not help since it pops out of 2nd when torqued in both directions. I'll post my results. ..... Thanks

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
lol, I was wondering why I didn't recognize some of those dudes, haha. I didn't even notice the date. ha

Reactions: SJP0tato
1 - 20 of 23 Posts