Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For a person who loves to chronicle stuff I'm surprised it took me this long to make this thread. But in any case here it is...

Engine:
- Injen CAI
- MSDS Headers
- Mazdaspeed Exhaust

Suspension/Brakes:
- Bilstein Shocks
- B&G Springs
- Goodyear Eagle 225/40R-18
- Hawk HPS Pads
- PowerStop Slotted Rotors
- Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Interior:
- TWM Type R Shift Knob

Exterior:
- Drag DR9 Wheels

Future mods:
- TWM Short Throw Shifter [Completed May. 2015]
- TWM Shift Boot [Completed May. 2015]
- 3.7 TB [Completed July. 2015]
- Battery relocation
- Clutch [Completed Jan. 2016]
- Fog lights [Completed Nov. 2014] Upgraded: May. 2015
- Full Motor and Trans mounts. [Completed April. 2015]
- H&R Coilovers [ BC Racing Colivers Completed Jan. 2017 ]
- Hella Horns [Completed March. 2015]
- LED reflectors [Completed Oct. 2014]
- LSD B][Completed Jan. 2016][/B]
- Magnaflow CBE [Completed Oct. 2014]
- Mesh Grill [Completed March. 2015]
- Oil Catch Can [Completed March 2015]
- RB Swaybars [Completed July 2015]
- Steeda Endlinks [Completed July 2015]
- STI Lip [Completed Jan. 2017]
- Strut bar
- TB Coolant Bypass [Completed July. 2015]
- Wheels (TE-37s maybe? HREs?) [Completed July 2015]
- Brembo Big Brake kit [Completed July 2015]
- F4DLighting LED tails [Completed July 2015]
- Lightweight Flywheel B][Completed Jan. 2016][/B]

I'll be adding updates as things progress.

A little background:

Before I got my 6 I was daily driving a heavily modified 86 Mekur XR4Ti. Engine swap, bigger turbo, the usual. In stock trim Merks can sometimes be a PIA to live with. In my case frequent modifications and thrashing her on the street didn't really help...Without getting into too much detail (unless you all like stories lol) I had a little fire scare while on the way home from work 2 years ago. After that incident I decided I needed something more reliable and that didn't require "pre flight checks". That same weekend I scoured Craigslist for reasonably priced used car. At the time I was split between a Saab 9-5 and a Mazda6 or Speed3. Well the Speed3 was way out of my budget at the time being a college student chained to a mistress called SallieMae. Besides another turbocharged car would be asking for trouble. Haha. So I decided it would be best to get a N/A Mazda. After many days of searching I came across a guy in MD who was selling a black on black Mazda6 V6 with a replaced engine. Pretty clean body and mostly highway miles.

Here she is went I bought her.

...And here's how she looks now.

Installing the headers:

Intake Installed:

Installing new headlights:

When my shift linkage broke (was able to get it welded back together):

TWM Shiftknob:

PS Rotors Installed:

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both of the fenders took a hit. One from the previous owner, the other from a Honda Fit.

Love your sig btw. Real clean and simple.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've yet to get a quote from the shops around here. It's going to get put on the back burner until I finish work on the suspension and get a Magngaflow cbe

And kudos to that guy/girl.

·
Registered
683 Posts
feeling privileged to have seen your car at the climb! it was looking good!

and the video you put up was great too!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I thought the msds headers weren't smog friendly but I see you they have the o2 sensors adapters. Their site says they are for off road use only last time I checked.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I thought the msds headers weren't smog friendly but I see you they have the o2 sensors adapters. Their site says they are for off road use only last time I checked.
They pass inspection fine with heated o2 simulators. Mine are ubertechnics universals and I've never had any issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took out the gauge pod put in by the previous owner and replaced it with the oem cubby. Only took two years lol.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
UPDATE: 10/24/2014

Installed my Magnaflow exhaust earlier this evening. I was surprised by how much quieter it is at idle. At first I was a little put off by it, as I liked the grumble of the Mazdaspeed cbe. After test driving it a full throttle throughout 1st, 2nd and 3rd I'm happy with it. The raspiness with the MSDS/Mazdaspeed CBE setup is gone and there's a nice linear tone/exhaust through all through the revs. We'll see if I can still set off car alarms. Haha. <-- Yes, I'm that guy...sometimes.

The install was painless and fairly quick. Total install time was about 45-60min. There was a slight fitment issue, but it's most likely due to my bumper being misaligned after I was rear ended a few times (-_-).

04 Mazda6 V6 MagnaFlow CBE - YouTube

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
UPDATE: 11/09/2014

Installed some eBay fogs. Some things I want to point out about this kit:

1. It doesn't have the holes to clip into the bumper that the oem covers have. It clips alright, but the lower right (driver's side) and lower left (passanger side) don't seem to hold as tightly. I may wire tire them eventually to secure it more, but after a drive to/from work over some bumps at decent highway speeds they're holding up.

2. Like most eBay fog lights, removing the back to replace the bulb looks iff (I've to attempt this I just want to get them in. We'll see what happens when the bulb goes out.)

3. The angle slightly low and out like this --> \__/ I would preferred a straight beam. |__| (but again we're talking eBay here so you take what you get.)

4. Comes with a flimsy button. (You'll want to buy a more sturdy one from a parts store and hook it up and use the the empty switch where the TCS button is.

5. The harness will need to be extended by another 8-12in to the fogs and the switch itself.

With that being said I'm happy with the kit. It spruces up the front end a bit a provides a little more light a night.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very little has been done to the car lately. I've been saving a lot; patiently waiting for Spring to come so I can drop the hammer on a list of parts. Last year I focused mainly on maintenance repairs, braking, and suspension. This year I'd like to tackle the drivetrain (clutch, flywheel and LSD) and do a little more with suspension (coils, sways bars, etc)

One of the things I've noticed is that the car feels a little unsettled corning at high speeds. It will occasionally squirm or jerk, requiring quite a bit of steering correction. While talking to my pops and other mechanics this is inherent in a lot of FWD drive cars with power, but can be mitigated with some suspension tweaks. That is what I hope to accomplish.

Ideally I'd like to have everything done before this year's climb. *Fingers crossed*

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Took a drive to CT to meet up with @ShaDrag to pick up an MFactory LSD. Can't wait to get this baby in once I have my flywheel and clutch. I've heard good things about the Fidanza and FX200, but haven't heard too many people running the Fidanza with the FX300. Being as how I'm still going to be my DD my thinking is to just run Fidanza/FX200 combo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice looking ride.

2010 S Grand Touring

Exterior:
Ebony Black
Interior:
Black
Engine:
3.7-liter V6

Had to put a new engine in (long story...37K)
Enkei Performance EV5 rims
Painted Calipers (Blue)

MORE TO GO!

Reactions: 23TDuratecMerkur
1 - 20 of 118 Posts