Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 mazda6 S, thinking of keeping the stock rims and changing the tires to 225x45x17.
Did not lower the car and don't want to roll fenders. Sometime I have back passenger, 2kids and 1 adult. Read in the forums people are ok with no rubbing but the tire place said that I might rub and no refund or
exchange on the tires. Plus they said that it might not look good because I'm leaving an extra 3/4 inch gap/ height between the tire and the top of the fender. Anyone tried this setup?

Comments are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I have 225x45x17 on 17x7 rims also. I dont rub nor do I have my fenders rolled. The tire place is incorrect, even with a fully compressed suspension, luggage, and 4 adults in the car, on the stock rims you will not have a problem with these tires on the stock rims.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also, a 225/45 is almost the exact same height as a 215/50
[/b]
Thank you, I appreciate your comments. One more question, since I'm going wider, will the tire
bulge from the rim. If so, is it noticeable ?

thanks,

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
i bought my car used and it has 235/45/17, although i'm not lowered nor have i had people in the back, it doesn't rub. and according to this tire calculator the 235/45's are closer to stock height.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have a 2004 mazda6 S, thinking of keeping the stock rims and changing the tires to 225x45x17.
Did not lower the car and don't want to roll fenders. Sometime I have back passenger, 2kids and 1 adult. Read in the forums people are ok with no rubbing but the tire place said that I might rub and no refund or
exchange on the tires. Plus they said that it might not look good because I'm leaving an extra 3/4 inch gap/ height between the tire and the top of the fender. Anyone tried this setup?

[/b]
References that you will find illuminating:
1. Link to Mazda6tech article Scroll down to "Where the wheel comes into play."

2. Also see the fine "Bible" at this link:
Scroll down to "Why would I want to change my rims and tyres anyway?"

EDIT: In the second of the above references, keep on reading through "Aspect Ratio and Rim / Pan Width."

·
Registered
6,960 Posts

[/b]
how the hell does going from a 215/50 setup to 225/45 setup create an extra 3/4 inch gap? go someplace else, those guys don't know wtf they're talking about

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
No the sidewall doesn't bulge, the 225x45x17 looks great and runs great :)

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I am sure Toyo Guy will weigh in on this thread at some point.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
well, before i get owned. i did a bunch of reading and noticed what everyone said about how the 235's are too wide for our rim. its a good thing i got a crazy good hook-up at discount tire that i can play with tire sizes and not get charged for them....needless to say, he's getting me some rx-8 wheels...FOR FREE!!!! :drool: :D :huh: :nana:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
switching from stock michellins to toyo proxes 4 225/45's looks very similar to the mich's from the side.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did the exact thing you are planning to do. I run 225 45 17 General Exclaims. No bulge, nowhere close to rubbing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
im lowered and have 225/45/18 and i dont rub, I love when the tire shops guess. The guy at the Les Schwab near me also drives a 6 so as soon as i pulled up he had all my options already in his head, so was very nice

1 - 13 of 13 Posts