Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I stumbled upon a pretty good deal on 17" wheels with 225/60 r17tires. Did anyone try this size? Any thoughts?

The difference would be an extra 0.6" (15mm) in diameter, so it would lift the car up by 0.3" & eat up the 0.3" of space between the fenders. Do you think there might be any luck with these? Don't want to drive for 1.5 hours to find out there is no way these would fit.

Thanks!

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont understand this obsession with 17" tires on a car designed on 19" tires. Get the correct size equivalent or dont do it at all. 255/55/17 is an exact match and will fit on a stock Mazda 17" wheel.

The question is will the 225/60/17 fit? not that big of a leap from 225/55/17 or 225/45/19. Wheels come with one-year-old tires with 80% tread. If the tires won't rub, I'd rather save $600 on the new tires and drive for a few years on 225/60/17

Regarding the 17" obsession, it's just about practicality. 17" have more sidewall and a much nicer ride on the Illinois pothole-ridden roads. My 2014 GT (bought used in 2019 from Indiana) has less than 120k miles and already replaced all tie rods, all front wheel bearings, front engine mount... struts are next in line. Also, new 17 tires are much cheaper than the 19"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2.2% is a huge jump. As far as the pothole issue, no, more sidewall wont absorb more shock "by default", unless you run less air pressure which causes other issues. Blown struts and shocks can cause damage to tires when hitting a pot hole, i kept popping the side wall on my 1st Gen till i replaced them and then it stopped.

I can agree that if youre getting a set of wheels and tires for under $600 i guess thats not a bad deal, but id replace the suspension first as with 120k, it should have been replaced twice by now.

But yes, they will fit. Youll also have to remember to drive slower, cause you cant calibrate the speedo.

Thank you! Any advice on suspension for a softer ride? OEM replacement or which premium aftermarket setup to go with?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts