Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was arguing with my brother this evening about if the winter wheels I am thinking of getting will fit. From the best I can find on the forums by searching, 225/50R17 on Mazda 6 17" rims will be close, but should fit without rubbing? Does anybody else have this setup for winter wheels. I not looking for people to tell me that I should be running 215 width, as I am aware that the recommended size is 215, and besides, the MS6 should be fine on this width winter tire given the weight of the car. Just would like to know if anybody knows for sure whether or not these will rub. Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
I run 225/45/17's on my wifes wagon. I always understood if you go bigger one on the width number, you drop one on the sidewall number.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Be very careful. You may be able to fit them under the wheel wells, and maybe you can even run them dry without rubbing, but once you get wet snow packed on them, and your wheel wells get some snow in them, you are at risk for denting the wheel arches or having gravel imbedded in the snow strip the paint off the inside of the arches.

I'm running 215/50R17s, and I have already had problems with snow interference.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes ... 225/50-17s. I'm running Yokohama AVID V4S, a fairly tall tire and Kosei 17x7 w/50mm offset. It's a tight fit. There is a protrusion in the rear, inside portion of the rear wheel wells. I probably have a 1/4 inch clearance. I loaded up the trunk & back seat and did not notice any rubbing. I’ll consider rolling the fenders if I find a shop, just to be on the safe side. I have not driven in the snow yet, so I cannot comment on the Yoko's snow traction or snow build up issues. I'll have to wait and see; rocks stripping my paint would be bad.

I got the 225 width to help compensate for not using summer tires in the summer (can’t comment yet, although there are plenty of opinions refuting that premise). I got the 50 profile and 17 inch wheels to increase the side wall to improve ride (somewhat) and improve fuel mileage (ain't happening). The weight rating of the tire allows 34 psi should help the ride, hurt the fuel mileage.

The speedometer is closer to being correct than the OEM setup; may be one mph over 5 miles at 60 mph.

The SUV look is nice(?). Actually I’ll have to wait until next spring to see the car and wheels cleaned up; however, I’m sure the SUV look will be present.

If I had to do it again, I’d reconsider 215/50-17s.

Anyone else running 225/50-17s?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Be very careful. You may be able to fit them under the wheel wells, and maybe you can even run them dry without rubbing, but once you get wet snow packed on them, and your wheel wells get some snow in them, you are at risk for denting the wheel arches or having gravel imbedded in the snow strip the paint off the inside of the arches.

I'm running 215/50R17s, and I have already had problems with snow interference.
[/b]
215/50R17s.... Aaag. I checked with a tire calculator ( http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp ) and that is nearly identical to the stock tire in outside dimensions; they're 3mm smaller in diametor and obviously the same width. If 215/50/17 doesn't work I, what will? 18s are not a great choice for a winter tire here ( NYC area ). Easy to hit a nasty bump/pothole/median curb that's hidden by slush etc and blow a 17.
What did you use for wheels / how much??

·
Registered
110 Posts
Isn't the 215/50-17 an OEM size for the Mazda6? And it is smaller than the Speed6 OEM size. Strange that it would cause problems.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Isn't the 215/50-17 an OEM size for the Mazda6? And it is smaller than the Speed6 OEM size. Strange that it would cause problems.
[/b]
People complain about wheel gap, but it doesn't take much snow built up on the tire and wheelwell to cause problems, even with stock size or the 215/50 R17 I'm running. I had the same problem with my WRX with stock tire sizes. I stripped all the paint off the top front of both front wheel arches on that car. But, I do live on a gravel road, and I deal with a ton of snow. (Colorado mountains). If you live where a 2 inch snow storm is a big deal, maybe you will be OK. We don't worry until we get 2 FEET.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nevermind, I finally learned to read your post. You are running a +50 offset, and the 17" OEM Mazda 6 rims I'm getting most likely have a +60 offset. Not too sure, but I'm thinking that combo will probably rub inside if Keiths clearance is .25" with a +50 offset, correct?? This is under the assumption that the small clearance is on the shock side of the wheel.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nevermind, I finally learned to read your post. You are running a +50 offset, and the 17" OEM Mazda 6 rims I'm getting most likely have a +60 offset. Not too sure, but I'm thinking that combo will probably rub inside if Keiths clearance is .25" with a +50 offset, correct?? This is under the assumption that the small clearance is on the shock side of the wheel.
[/b]
I'm running the Kosei K1 TS, 17x7 w/ 50mm offset. The clearence issue I reference is between the trean and wheel well. It's related to the outside diameter.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
[/b]
they're not the same cars. the speed6, from i've seen in person and in pictures, has more wheel gap than a regular 6 in both the front and rear.

i was thinking that if i was able to get rid of my 225/45s i'd get 225/50 because i'd like the extra sidewall

·
Registered
357 Posts
Im running 225/50R17 and yes they do rub. My tires most of the time dont not. Only when hitting pothole or dip or if I have alot of passengers in car such as 4. With snow on tires I dont rub. It sucks in dry weather pre snow, cause i have to more careful. If I could do it over I would not have got that size but my friend hooked me up w/ these snows at a cheaper price said it would be ok but they are not the best fix.

·
Registered
35 Posts
nicstn2 the question was for MS6 ppl "Anybody with this setup on the MS6?"

AND

I have an 06 MazdaSpeed6, just put on 225/50/17 XL 98V Hankook W300 on regular Mazda6 17" alloys, and all is good. The fit was close on the inside, but clears it. So you are ok with that size. However I am not sure if a different, more aggressive tire, with a blockier sidewall would do well.

The ride is a lot smoother since these tires went on, and they will be perfect for winter City driving.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,553 Posts
nicstn2 the question was for MS6 ppl "Anybody with this setup on the MS6?"
[/b]
I've got news for ya. There isn't much of a difference in wheelwell clearance between the MS6 and Mazda6. In fact, IIRC, besides the bigger brakes on the MS6, making most, if not ALL, 16" wheels useless, I really can't recall any other major differences between the two.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts