Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone here uses these ?? Would they give me a softer ride 'cuz they have a thicker sidewall ?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone here uses these ?? Would they give me a softer ride 'cuz they have a thicker sidewall ?
[/b]
I have yet to use them, but am contemplating a purchase in that size. The concern is whether a specific 225/50 would rub the inside of the (unrolled) rear fender; Mazda does not leave a whole lot of clearance between the fender and the tire.

There is no reason to believe that the sidewall would be any thicker for a 225/50 than a 215/50of the same brand and model. There is also no predicting, without actually mounting the tire and riding on it, whether a 225/50 of one brand and model would ride any more softly or more harshly than a 215/50 of another brand and model.

The overall diameter of a 225/50, mounted on the stock 17" wheel with 7" rim, should be slightly greater than the overall diameter of the stock Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 215/50. The stock tires when new, mounted on 7" masuring rims, and properly inflated, rotate 819 revolutions per mile; the specifications for most 225/50 tires, when mounted on 7" measuring rims, state that they will rotate between 805 and 810 revolutions per mile. That would mean that the gearing would be slightly higher (that is, lower ratios) and the speedometer and odometer would be slightly slow. Assuming a 225/50 tire with 805 rpm, when the Mazda6 speedometer reads55 mph, you would actually be traveling 56 mph (819/805 x 55). If you refill your gas tank when the odometer says 300.0 miles, you would actually have traveled 305.2 miles, and your actual miles per gallon on that tank, if you filled it the previous time and filled it this time with 15.000 gallons, would not be 20.00 mpg, but instead 20.35 mpg.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
There is no reason to believe that the sidewall would be any thicker for a 225/50 than a 215/50of the same brand and model.
[/b]
By thicker, I think he means taller. 225/50 = 112.5mm height and 215/50=107.5mm.

I'm not sure if 5mm is going to make that much noticable difference in ride quality on the same brand though...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
i had 225/50/17 on mine, slightly rougher ride than stock since the sidewall was smaller..

no problems whatsoever of any kind, no rubbing, squealing, no noticable difference in acceleration, handling was much improved, but i changed brands from stock so you cant really compare there

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use 225/45/17. When first mounted, the pressure was at 32 psi. About 2000 miles later, I upped the pressure to 36 psi. There was not any noticeable difference in appearance, but the difference in ride was very noticeable. Maybe it is just me, but I think tire pressure is also something to consider if you are interested in comfort.

·
Registered
366 Posts
So help a newbie out... The website supplied made me even more confused.
I have tried searching believe me... but whatever I find, it still dosent make sense..

I found someone selling a set of 4 OEM 17 from a m6...

I would like to place some winter tires on the new rims etc... Being a cheap @ss I found a site with used winter tires for about 1/3 of the cost... with about 60% tread life.

Anyway,
What sizes can I fit? How can I determine what is good...

I found the following sets of 4 tires... How can determine what will fit? (please say it isnt that site).
235/45/17
225/55/17
255/60/17
225/45/17

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
i had 225/50/17 on mine, slightly rougher ride than stock since the sidewall was smaller..
[/b]
the sidewall for the 225's are not smaller, they're actually taller:

225/50 = 112.5mm height and 215/50=107.5mm.

most likely the rougher ride was due to moving away from a touring tire (oem's are touring) and going with a wider patch of rubber ( 225 versus 215 - 10mm)

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
So help a newbie out... The website supplied made me even more confused.
I have tried searching believe me... but whatever I find, it still dosent make sense..
I found someone selling a set of 4 OEM 17 from a m6...
I would like to place some winter tires on the new rims etc... Being a cheap @ss I found a site with used winter tires for about 1/3 of the cost... with about 60% tread life.
Anyway,
What sizes can I fit? How can I determine what is good...

I found the following sets of 4 tires... How can determine what will fit? (please say it isnt that site).
235/45/17
225/55/17
255/60/17
225/45/17
[/b]
Try this thread. Hint: Only one of those sizes listed will work on the stock wheels:

What fits the US-spec 6

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
anyone have any issues with the 225/50 size? really looking to get this size in a few weeks....
[/b]
The overall diameter is not going to be an issue. Depending on the specific brand and model of tire, the curvature of the sidewall could rub the upper suspension link in front or the lip of the fender on the outer side of the tire in the rear. According to this very informative article, the clearance from the front suspension arm rims when two specific 225/50 tires were mounted on 16x8 wheels with 50mm offset was 6mm for one tire, 5mm for another. The offset of the 17x7.5 OEM rims is greater than the 50mm offset of the wheels mounted in the photos, which would move the sidewalls closer to the suspension arms, but the narrower 7.5" rim will pull the sidewall in more than an 8" rim does, moving the sidewall slightly farther away from the suspension arm, so again it comes down to the curvature of the sidewall of the specific tire how much clearance the mounted tire will have.

Addressing your question more directly, I have mounted 225/50R17 Goodyear Eagle GS-D3 tires on the OEM rims of our Mazda6, and they do not rub; but that does not necessarily imply that another brand or model of tire in the same size would not rub.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I'm essentially goin to look to throw on a set of Hankook V4 Es H105 UHPAS tires....was thinking about doing the plus size but dont wanna go with the 45 series as it'll leave a nasty wheel gap....maybe instead of going with the 225/50 i'll have to go with the OE size 215/50 to reduce complications...

·
Registered
578 Posts
My winter tires are 225/50/17 mounted on the stock 17" wheels. I don't have any issues with clearance or rubbing. There isn't a significant difference in ride quality that I can feel either.

·
Registered
446 Posts
So, in summary, some 225/50-17s fit a stock Mazda6 (stock wheel and stock suspension) w/o rubbing and some rub? I think that's what I've found by searching the entire forum. It seems to depend on the specific tire.

Can anyone else add their experience with this setup?

EDIT: DOH! two threads for the same thing.
POST YOUR ANSWER HERE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts