Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if 225/45-17's will fit on my 04 m6 wagon without fenders rolled , or will they rub???? Does somebody have any pix of this arrangment to post?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am wondering if 225/45-17's will fit on my 04 m6 wagon without fenders rolled , or will they rub???? Does somebody have any pix of this arrangment to post?
[/b]
Stock wheels? Aftermarket? If aftermarket, what width and offset?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
[/b]
It depends on the actual (as opposed to the nominal) size of the tire and also the profile of the sidewall, which differs from tire model to tire model, so one tire may rub while another of the same nominal size may not. A "225/45" tire may (on its measuring rim) have a section width anywhere from 220mm to 230mm, and an aspect ratio anywhere from 42.5 to 47.5; the granularity of the specification does not allow intermedaiate values between 220 and 230 other than 225, or between 42.5 and 47.5 other than 45. Within sizes, the sidewalls of some tires "bulge" more than others.

Separate issue: if you are using 7" wide OEM rims, a 225/45 is not an optimal fit. The rule of thumb is that for aspect ratios of 45 and lower, the rim width should be 85 percent of the section width. While a 7" rim is "approved" for a 225/45 -- that is, you can squeeze it on there -- you are going outside the parameters the tire designer had in mind. If you want the 225mm width, a 225/50 tire (which has a bit more sidewall to flex as you bend it inward to squeeze it on the rim) is a better fit for a 7" rim than a 225/45.

FWIW, for our '04 Mazda6 wagon, I recently purchased Yokohama ADVAN Sport tires in the 205/55R17 size. The ADVAN Sports are probably the stickiest tires generally available for our vehicle. They run large as "205" tires go, and mounted on the 7" rims, they have a section width over 210mm; and -- of course -- they do not rub.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock wheels? Aftermarket? If aftermarket, what width and offset?
[/b]
stock.

It depends on the actual (as opposed to the nominal) size of the tire and also the profile of the sidewall, which differs from tire model to tire model, so one tire may rub while another of the same nominal size may not. A "225/45" tire may (on its measuring rim) have a section width anywhere from 220mm to 230mm, and an aspect ratio anywhere from 42.5 to 47.5; the granularity of the specification does not allow intermedaiate values between 220 and 230 other than 225, or between 42.5 and 47.5 other than 45. Within sizes, the sidewalls of some tires "bulge" more than others.

Separate issue: if you are using 7" wide OEM rims, a 225/45 is not an optimal fit. The rule of thumb is that for aspect ratios of 45 and lower, the rim width should be 85 percent of the section width. While a 7" rim is "approved" for a 225/45 -- that is, you can squeeze it on there -- you are going outside the parameters the tire designer had in mind. If you want the 225mm width, a 225/50 tire (which has a bit more sidewall to flex as you bend it inward to squeeze it on the rim) is a better fit for a 7" rim than a 225/45.

FWIW, for our '04 Mazda6 wagon, I recently purchased Yokohama ADVAN Sport tires in the 205/55R17 size. The ADVAN Sports are probably the stickiest tires generally available for our vehicle. They run large as "205" tires go, and mounted on the 7" rims, they have a section width over 210mm; and -- of course -- they do not rub.
[/b]
do you think the 225/50 will rub? there is 215/50's on now(factory 7" rim).

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
do you think the 225/50 will rub? there is 215/50's on now(factory 7" rim).
[/b]
No way to tell for certain but to try with the specific tire. I can tell you for certain that a Goodyear Eagle GS-D3 225/50R17 does not rub (on the inside, against the suspension arm) when mounted at the front of an '04 Mazda6 wagon. :cool: But I've never tried those tires (or any other 225/50R17 tires) at the rear position (where potential rubbing against the unrolled fender lip is a concern). My guess is that most 225/50R17 tires would not rub the fender lip in the rear, and all but certainly they would not rub if you roll the fender, but my guess is not a guarantee, obviously.

BTW, just in case you are unaware of it, for a given inflation pressure, the size of the contact patch for a 225/50 tire is the same as the size of the contact patch for a 215/50 or a 205/55 tire.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
[/b]
Plenty of example pictures here

1 - 10 of 10 Posts