Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a set of winters and craigslist has a set of steelies that are 16x6.5.

I wanna put 215/65/16 on them. Will that fit the wheel and more importantly, will that fit over my 2017 Mazda6 GT brakes?

My understanding is that my handling will feel like driving a boat lol.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Do you know the bolt pattern/wheel offset? The 16" wheel should fit over the brakes (per perusing the forum) and the tire height looks to be the same so you won't have any clearance or speedometer issues.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have OEM Mazda 16 x 6.5 steelies in hand but not yet with snows on them. Next season I will be fitting 205/65 Nokian Hakkapellitta snow tires. They have a 99R load rating. My all seasons (by Mazda) have a 97V rating. So the std fitment Yoko Advan A883's have obviously a much higher speed rating but a lower load rating. I will not be challenging higher speeds... but load rating is 'real important...The Hakka R3 snows are rated very, very highly; they are gnarly snows. I want narrow tires 'cuz i) they are better in snow; and ii) at 6.5"wide rims I personally believe they would be too bulbous a sidewall in 215 size.

I should also note that the 16x6.5 rims and their associated tires are quite a bit less unsprung wt than a 17 x 7 steelie / tire set-up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Shoot, if 16s will fit properly and clear everything (brakes), I may go to that size year-round! I’d planned to ditch the ridiculous 19s when my tires wear out anyway.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Slightly off track: what adds more weight - bigger tires or bigger wheels?
Certainly, the 19-inch setup weighs a ton. I used to have a Formula Car with 13-inch slicks and you could darn near juggle those!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Shoot, if 16s will fit properly and clear everything (brakes), I may go to that size year-round! I’d planned to ditch the ridiculous 19s when my tires wear out anyway.
I'm not sure you'd really want to go with 16" / 65 series tires / wheels year-round - from an aesthetic point of view, aside from the summertime/warm weather handling perspective? For winter tire purposes, I'm using satin black 16" steel wheels / matched-colour satin black closed end lug nuts / matched-colour custom-made maple (wood) centre caps - and effectively, the wheel diameter (smallness) "disappears". But with alloy wheels, I believe: "not so much..." See my smallish looking OEM 17" alloys... I believe that 18" rims are the sweet spot...

Oh, BTW, re the maple, wood-turned centre caps, I am toying with the idea of affixing them with black-coloured silicone to the actual wheel-hub... not to the steelie (rim) - provided I can make them shallow enough to NOT foul the alloy wheel's centre-cap. More of a challenge re the frt wheel versus the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wood center caps sound really neat!

I am not a fan of huge wheels and ultra-short sidewalls. To me the 19” wheels on my car look stupid even without looking at the tire sidewall. Your photo looks great to me. I find I don’t look at the outside of the car much when I’m inside. :p

·
Registered
776 Posts
Re the wooden centre-caps... this follows from me, actually, having this "thing" for satin-black painted steel wheels. The trouble in my mind with steel wheels is that it often is really hard to hide the "ugliness" of the half-shaft threaded end, nut, and nut-locking arrangement. I would want aesthetic centre-caps. For Mazda's, the half-shaft outboard end nut is soft at the outboard end, and I believe the threaded end of the halfshaft has a slot milled in it... and the soft-end of the nut is pranged-in to the slot so as to "foul" it, to prevent the nut from coming off 'till the "prang" is removed with an appropriately-sized punch.

In any case, sorry - more detail than you want. Here, following, is a photo of a guy with a Honda Fit, I believe, who 3-D printed centre caps (see photo) to give an example of the look (except his open-ended lug nuts stick out like a sore thumb.

Note that OEM Mazda steelies have a longer, axially, centre-hub - and at the outboard end of the bore would provide "purchase" for centre caps to grab (radially-outwards). Not a lot of purchase... but some.

My idea, though, is to machine on my wood-lathe some 3/4" thick maple ... machine a step so my centre caps are 67.1mm OD max..., then a step, and then a bit of profile-match to the inner profile of the wheel hub. I am wanting to attach to the car's hub, and not to the steel-wheel. The profile match need not be perfect... as the black-coloured silicone will take up the slack. So long as the bore of the hub is nominally rust-free... and possibly painted, possibly not... the silicone will make for a measure of retention. Further, the step-profile will do the lion's share of the retension... re shocks of the wheel hitting a bump or a pot-hole. We shall see, in any case...

Mebe too much time on my hands? I love to think up these projects, haha.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts